Author Topic: Crawford from Sherdrim  (Read 13994 times)

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
Re: Crawford from Sherdrim
« Reply #18 on: Sunday 23 October 16 02:26 BST (UK) »
Hi Folks,

Found this post while researching something else in my own family tree around this area.

I recognised the surname Crawford (married into my family).

Not sure if anyone has Neil Crawford b 21 Apr 1819 Kilcalmonell & KIlberry to Archibald Crawford & Isabella Galbraith married 10 Dec 1814.

Neil Crawford died 20 Apr 1898 Glassary.

Annie

South Uist, Inverness-shire, Scotland:- Bowie, Campbell, Cumming, Currie

Ireland:- Cullen, Flannigan (Derry), Donahoe/Donaghue (variants) (Cork), McCrate (Tipperary), Mellon, Tol(l)and (Donegal & Tyrone)

Newcastle-on-Tyne/Durham (Northumberland):- Harrison, Jude, Kemp, Lunn, Mellon, Robson, Stirling

Kettering, Northampton:- MacKinnon

Canada:- Callaghan, Cumming, MacPhee

"OLD GENEALOGISTS NEVER DIE - THEY JUST LOSE THEIR CENSUS"

Offline argyllshiregirl

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Wednesday 26 October 16 20:39 BST (UK) »
Oh boy! You will find Glassary filled with MacVicars and Crawfords! My father's first cousin married a MacVicar in 1963. His parents were Malcolm MacVicar and Mary Crawford. Malcolm 'Calum' was lock keeper at Dunadry on the Crinan Canal. Mary came from Crawfords who had land around Baliebeg (spelling?) just outside of Lochgilphead and one of my second cousins lives there yet.
Fletcher of Glen Orchy, Argyll, McGregor of Argyll and Balquhidder, Perth, Mathison, Laidlaw, Forsyth of Dumfriesshire, McMillan, Johnston, Galbraith, Nicholson of Argyll, McPhail, McArthur, McKinnon, McLean, Paterson from Isle of Mull

Offline dishep

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Wednesday 31 May 17 04:33 BST (UK) »
Big Ron ..."Alexander McTavish, my great grandfather who married Christina McNicoll, was probably born in Glassary (most of the censuses say this, although one says Castleron), as was his father Duncan McTavish.  Alexander later lived in Glasgow, where he was a seaman, the master of one of the Clyde Trustee's sludge boats."

Castleron is actually Castleton that can be found in the lower right corner of this map just below Ballimore.  It's east of Lochgilphead on the north shore of Loch Gilp; the point where it joins Loch Fyne.
http://www.streetmap.co.uk/map.srf?X=186500&Y=686530&A=Y&Z=120

My MacTavishs' also came from this area of Glassary parish.  Alexander McTavish (possibly of Ballibeg Aird) married Margaret Leitch circa 1790 (no marriage doc found).  Their son, Lachlan, was living at Castleton Lodge at the time of his death in 1873 at the age of 71.  I believe his widow Mary MacTavish (nee Campbell) and some of his children lived at Castleton after his death per census 1881.  Lachlan does not appear to have a brother by the name Duncan although it does occur fairly regularly in the family tree.  He did have a brother named Alexander b. 1806 but I have not traced that line out.

While Alexander Sr is listed as a crofter on Lachlan's death cert, Lachlan and his brother Hugh were fisherman.  William Crawford, son of Alexander Crawford and Margaret McTavish and Son-in-Law to Lachlan, was also a fisherman.  Alexander Crawford was listed as a fisherman on his wife's death certificate.

Offline manda_mcd

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Sunday 03 June 18 20:46 BST (UK) »
Came across an article well actually an obituary which mentions ALEXANDER MCTAVISH!! 
https://www.independent.co.uk/arts-entertainment/obituary-sir-alastair-dunnett-1195816.html
The following is from this
"Dunnett's mother's father, Alexander MacTavish, after whom he was called, was a master mariner from Loch Fyne. For most of his life, MacTavish was captain of one of Clyde Trustees' sludge boats, carrying cargoes of effluent down the river to be dumped in the open sea. His maternal grandmother, Christine MacTavish, came from a family of fish-curers, who also ran cargo smacks plying between the parts of the West Coast and the Far Outer Isles.
MCDOUGALL (Glasgow and Glassary, Argyllshire), SINCLAIR (Lanarkshire), CAMPBELL (Aberdeen, Ayr and Gorbals), DOLAN (Greenock), RUSH, BELL, COUSIN(S), PATERSON, KERR, DEARIE, KENNY, GORMLEY, (mostly from Ireland to Glasgow) GILLIES (Glassary & Lochgilphead) McFIE or MCPHEE,