Author Topic: Crawford from Sherdrim  (Read 13995 times)

Offline Chiad Fhear

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Aye mair questions than answers!
    • View Profile
Re: Crawford from Sherdrim
« Reply #9 on: Sunday 12 September 10 08:25 BST (UK) »
Hi again Big Ron

Donald and Mary's son JAMES married a lassie called ELIZABETH DAVIDSON in Bonhill, Dunbartonshire on 14 June 1861 and they had 7 bairns of which only one JAMES born 27 June 1873 survived and he was my Great-grandfather.  His son Charles's widow, my Aunt Maria, is still alive - 97 - and living in Abeerdeen!

Regards

Chiad Fhear
Aye mair questions than answers in a world where the past was a different place - that cannae be revisited!

Family surnames being researched ...
Crawford, Neilson, Lindsay, Reekie, Davidson
Drummond, Laing, Pearson, Tulloch ... will do for starters but there's a whole lot more!

Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Big Ron

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Monday 13 September 10 09:11 BST (UK) »
Thanks for your replies.  I agree it is always possible that we are talking about different families with the same names, but here are a few other factors that may help confirm or deny the connection.  Most of it comes from a family tree that my grandfather prepared a long time ago (he died in 1958).
Alexander McTavish, my great grandfather who married Christina McNicoll, was probably born in Glassary (most of the censuses say this, although one says Castleron), as was his father Duncan McTavish.  Alexander later lived in Glasgow, where he was a seaman, the master of one of the Clyde Trustee's sludge boats.  The censuses generally show Christina as having been born around 1855, and the 1891 census shows that her sister Margaret was in the house at that time.  (Of course, Margaret is a common name as well, but it is some form of corroboration.)
Christina's parents were Archibald McNicoll and Isabel(la) Crawford.  In fact, Archibald's mother was another Crawford - Christina Crawford, who had married an Alexander McNicoll.  Archibald was also the master of a boat - on the night of the 1881 census he is shown as being on board the "Isabella & Jean" at Port Dundas,  Christina herself appears to have been born in Minard, a little further up Loch Fyne.
Hope this helps!

Offline Big Ron

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Monday 13 September 10 10:45 BST (UK) »
I should also have added that I have Christina McNicoll's marriage certificate - the wedding took place in Partick on 31 January 1879, when her age is given as 24, and one of the witnesses is named as Maggie Crawford.  Her parents are named as Archibald McNicoll and Isabella McNicoll, maiden surname Crawford.

Offline Chiad Fhear

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Monday 13 September 10 11:13 BST (UK) »
Sorry ... fingers and keys ::)
Aye mair questions than answers in a world where the past was a different place - that cannae be revisited!

Drummond, Laing, Pearson, Tulloch ... will do for starters but there's a whole lot more!

Offline Chiad Fhear

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Monday 13 September 10 11:17 BST (UK) »
This is getting to be quite intriguing :o  I wonder if we're on the right track :)  It certainly seems like it.

I'll PM you for more info!

Regards

Chiad Fhear

Offline angusm1939

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Wednesday 18 May 11 20:20 BST (UK) »
Hello Ciad Fhear in particular: I have Crawfords from Sherdrim at exactly the period mentioned in your initial message in my family tree. Indeed, given the names used I wonder whether the wife of Donald, Mary Crawford, might be the sister of James Crawford, my 3 x great grandfather. James Crawford b. c. 1776 in Sherdrim d.aft 1850, fisherman in Crarae, I think son of Alexander, married Janet Campbell in 1801 and still in Sherdrim, the couple had Alexander 1802-86 [my 2x great grandfather = Mary MacFarlane, daughter of William MacFarlane, weaver at Goatfield and piper on the fishery cutter Swift], Donald 1804-97 [= Jane Smith, shoemaker all his life in Crarae], John 1806, Mary 1808, Margaret 1812, James 1815 [emigrated to Lobo Twnshp, Ontario], and Archibald 1820. Ring any bells? I have a feeling that these Crawfords may have been the first generation born in Argyll so not among the first set of Covenanter imports but among those brought in by the Duke to replace his tenants who were off fighting in the American wars and choosing then to settle there rather than return.

Offline JHSF

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Wednesday 13 July 11 17:05 BST (UK) »
Hi

My GGGG Grandmother Mary CRAWFORD is noted as being from Sherdrim at the time of her marriage to Donald MUNRO (Monroe in the OPRs)  from Creggans on 23rd January 1793. So I was wondering if there was any connection with anyone following this thread?

The couple moved from Creggans to Auchagoyle and had children - Neil, Donald, Mary, Janet, John, Cathrine (sic), James and Peter between 1793 and 1811. These children seem to have spread out along the western shore of Loch Fyne.

The only other bit of information I have is the following:

MI in Crarae Graveyard:
Inverae, Erected by Duncan MUNRO in memory of Mary CRAWFORD his spouse, died 11th May 1827 aged ? years (some of it is illegible unfortunately)

Ring any bells with anyone?

Jacky

Offline angusm1939

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Wednesday 13 July 11 18:04 BST (UK) »
Mine was the previous message on the board and, given the places and names involved, it does seem all but a certainty there was a connection between the families but whether the records will be sufficient to establish just what it is, only time will tell.

By the way, I imagine the Creggans you mention will be Wester Creggans i.e. modern Knemore as that is the correct side of Loch Fyne. At the time, as I expect you know, the modern Creggans to the east of Loch Fyne was called Easter Creggans. They were the two ends of the ferry used by Mary Queen of Scots when returning to the Clyde after her visit to he sister at the old Inveraray Castle in the 1560s.

Offline NZDawn

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Crawford from Sherdrim, Munro
« Reply #17 on: Thursday 17 November 11 11:39 GMT (UK) »
Kia ora

I cannot tell you any more about Mary Crawford, but she was possibly my GGG grandmother. It seems that I am descended from Peter Munro her son. He is said to have been born at Auchagoyle, Glassary 24 July 1811. He married Sarah (nee McGlashan) born Feoline, and all their children were born in Glassary from 1841 to 1853. Mary Munro b 16 July 1843 married Neil McFadyen from the Isle of Mull and they emigrated to New Zealand in 1877 with their first three children, all born in Glasgow. Peter Munro died 4 January 1872 at the Royal Infirmary, Glasgow.

I have just been seeking information about the parish of Glassary (and came across your message) because I am coming to Scotland for an extended visit in July 2012. I hope to see the places where my ancestors lived. 

NZDawn