Author Topic: Rooney family of Moyvore, Westmeath  (Read 14458 times)

Offline sileo2

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Rooney family of Moyvore, Westmeath
« on: Tuesday 06 January 09 21:33 GMT (UK) »
Does anyone have any knowledge of the Rooney family of  Moyvore ? 
Gr-grandfather  Patrick Rooney born abt. 1852 left Ireland before 1889 for Chascomús, Buenos Aires, Argentina where he had a sheep farm. About 1901- 1902 after the death of wife Mary Ann Ganly, Patrick returned to Aughnaboy, Moyvore where he resided until his death on October 22, 1917. Three children , Mary Ann, James & Elizabeth, emigrated to New York City, NY while Margaret stayed in Ireland. Believe Margaret died in Dunleary abt. 1976. I haven't found Patrick's lineage yet. We used to be in contact with some of the cousins but unfotunately have since lost track.

Offline mum mum

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Robert Warnock and Annie Balcombe
    • View Profile
Re: Rooney family of Moyvore, Westmeath
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 26 September 09 07:03 BST (UK) »
Hi,
I am also interested in the Rooney family of Moyvore, Richard Rooney born around 1824 was transported to Australia for stealing a sheep.
His mother was Ellen, father deceased before 1849, it appears that he had a brother Patrick.
Richard named his sons Patrick and James so the name was a family one.
Attached is part of his record.

mum mum
Balcombe, Sussex. Warnes, Norfolk and Australia. Hansen, Denmark and Canada. Williams, Canada. Warnock, Forsythe, Joyce, Sayers, in Ireland.

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 26 September 09 09:08 BST (UK) »
I should point out that Moyvore is about 19km west of Mullingar and is in Co. Westmeath - which is a separate county to Meath. see google map : http://www.rootschat.com/links/0763/

Shane

Moderator's Note: moved from Meath to Westmeath board
Remember to check the Resource boards :  Ireland, Dublin, Antrim & Cork (and stickies at the top of other county sub-forums)    
My Surname Interests

Offline mum mum

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 26 September 09 15:25 BST (UK) »
Thanks
Its a bit hard to know where places are from the other side of the world. I did google and found a place called Moyvore in Westmeath, I also found this rootschat post which was going to be my next move anyway. Hopefully someone in Westmeath may be able to help one of us.
mum mum
Balcombe, Sussex. Warnes, Norfolk and Australia. Hansen, Denmark and Canada. Williams, Canada. Warnock, Forsythe, Joyce, Sayers, in Ireland.

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 26 September 09 17:52 BST (UK) »
hi sileo2 & mum mum,

Moyvore is both a town and townland and is located in the registration district of Ballymahon (a part of this district in in Co. Longford). The civil parish is Templepatrick and the RC parish is Moyvore.

The surviving RC records are available in the National library on microfilm number P.4171 Records start in Sept 1831 for births and Feb 1832 for marriages.  I cant see listings for any Church of Ireland records corresponding to the civil parish at the moment.

There are some Rooney (with some spelt Roony) records in the RC parish of Moyvore listed  on the pay-website of the Irish Family history foundation at www.irish-roots.ie Their sources page mentions baptism details available for this parish going back as far as 1811 - but I'm not certain that this is correct. The IFHF database does not include data after about 1900.

there's a few births with the name Patrick Rooney listed in the parish of Moyvore - but none close to 1842 (the two closest to that date are in 1832 and 1853). The best date match of a Patrick Rooney in the county is in 1841, in the RC parish of Milltown. It's not clear which Milltown this is, but there is a town named Milltown just 8km east of Moyvore - see map : http://www.rootschat.com/links/0765/

if he married 1864 onwards he would be included in the civil index - http://pilot.familysearch.org/recordsearch/start.html#c=1408347;p=2;t=searchable

There's a possible death for Patrick listed on the civil index :
Information removed due to copyright violation. See http://www.rootschat.com/forum/copyright.php for more details

RootsChat must deal with any breach of copyright by its members.

For some time the team of Copyright Editors has been removing breaches of copyright and sending detailed personal messages to the member that had posted the information.  Due to the volume of posts and members this is now impractical.  Messages in breach will simply be deleted and this notice posted.  We apologise for any inconvenience caused but are sure you will appreciate the importance of this issue.

sorry mum mum.. nothing specific on your query as the dates you are researching are before both civil and RC parish records for the area, but since you are researching the same surname in the same town(land) they are possibly connected families.

Shane
Remember to check the Resource boards :  Ireland, Dublin, Antrim & Cork (and stickies at the top of other county sub-forums)    
My Surname Interests

Offline mum mum

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 27 September 09 02:17 BST (UK) »
Thanks Shane,

I thought that the families were likely to be connected, if not the same family. The name Patrick was used again in the Rooney family in Australia so I have a feeling that this Patrick may be my Richard's brother, I wonder is that death certifiacate available, and would it show his children. I have found that families names can often lead to the right family, I have had a couple of successes that way.

I will have a look at those sites, thanks very much for the links.

mum mum

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 27 September 09 08:49 BST (UK) »
.... a feeling that this Patrick may be my Richard's brother, I wonder is that death certifiacate available, and would it show his children...

You can order the death cert by post from the GRO (www.groireland.ie) using the index information I posted - the details it will show are :

date & place of death
  deceased full name, age, marital status, occupation, address and cause of death
  informant and their details and address - this could be a doctor or a family member

Shane
My Surname Interests

Offline ausieirish

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 31 March 10 11:48 BST (UK) »
Rooney Family of Moyvore Westmeath
I am pretty sure you are on my Rooney family tree
My Grandfather Francis had a brother Patrick who was born in 1853 and went to Sth America where his wife died and he returned with three of the children Mary Ann Rooney b 1890, Lizzie b 1892 and Margaret b.1895
Would love to hear from you
Aussieirish

Offline ausieirish

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Saturday 10 April 10 06:28 BST (UK) »
Sileo2
I think you are on my family tree of Rooneys from Moyvore
Your relative Patrick Rooney was my grandfather's brother
Please email me