Author Topic: EVANS Family Revisited  (Read 16280 times)

Offline Ezekial

• RootsChat Senior
  • Sunset over Toddington
    • View Profile
Re: EVANS Family Revisited
« Reply #27 on: Tuesday 10 November 09 12:18 GMT (UK) »
Hi
 I have been reasearching my family from Toddington for a while now, i myself was born and raised in Toddington. My paternal grandfathers name was John 'Jack' Hucklesby and on the census of 1901 he can be found with his siblings and his mother my ggrandmother Ann Hucklesby all living with George Evans in 'Pond Head No2', these were houses that were built around the village pond, and Ann was his housekeeper ??? ???
 I would estimate George Evans year of birth would be abt 1870.
 I also have a photo of who we were always told was our great uncle Mark but i don't know if he was a Hucklesby or an Evans. The photo was taken in Burraba, Australia, in 1926, i would estimate his age around mid to late thirties possibly a bit older, apparently he was adopted out as a small child and his adoptive parents emigrated to Australia but as of yet i can find absolutely nothing in the records about him :(.
Kind Regards
Family Romany Names Of Special Interest;
Bedfordshire LOVERIDGES & PARKERS
Cambridgeshire SMITHS
Hampshire AYRES & JEFFS

Also researching;
MEADS from Luton, Bedfordshire,
RADWELLS from Buckinghamshire,
HUCKLESBY'S from Toddington Bedfordshire

Offline MaccaAddison

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Tuesday 10 November 09 18:54 GMT (UK) »
Great to hear from you ChinaCharlie and very interested in the possible family connection.

There is a George Evans in our family history and his birth date was 1870. He was my granddad's dad.

How there are a few Evans (to say the least) in Toddington - all of them seem to have a connection to my line.

I will have a look around my family tree. Incidently I am a Mark, but have not been to Australia!!

Cheers

Offline Ezekial

• RootsChat Senior
  • Sunset over Toddington
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Tuesday 01 December 09 12:21 GMT (UK) »
Hi Mark

I have been doing some more detective work on the Hucklesby's and Evans in Toddington, as i said in my previous post on the census return of 1901 my ggrandmother Ann Hucklesby is living with George Evans as his housekeeper.

It was when i looked at the census for 1911 that things didn't add up, there was no sign of Ann and her children, i then began to find her children scattered around Toddington and the surrounding villages and normally the only reason for this is if the mother is no longer around to look after her children herself. After unsuccessfully trying to find a death certificate for Ann Hucklesby i thought maybe she married after the 1901 census, i eventually discovered that she did in fact marry George Evans in December 1901, after a bit more searching i found that Ann Evans nee Hucklesby died in March 1908 aged 40yrs so this explained why her children were farmed out to different families on the 1911 census,in fact Frederick Hucklesby  Ann's eldest son was living rough around Toddington.
 Does any of this tally up with what you know about George Evans? obviously that's if it's the same George Evans because as you said previously there were a few.

Kind Regards
Family Romany Names Of Special Interest;
Bedfordshire LOVERIDGES & PARKERS
Cambridgeshire SMITHS
Hampshire AYRES & JEFFS

Also researching;
MEADS from Luton, Bedfordshire,
RADWELLS from Buckinghamshire,
HUCKLESBY'S from Toddington Bedfordshire

Offline becky.g

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Monday 05 April 10 11:31 BST (UK) »
Hi Mark,

Whilst searching some old bits and pieces passed down in my family we have come across an autograph book which may be of interest to you.

On the flyleaf is the legend "Winnie S Evans Christmas 1911".
Among the inscriptions in the book is Geo Evans, Syd Evans, Ethel Evans and Connie in childish writing.  There are also a number of Taylors who also wrote in the book.
The dated inscriptions are all between 1912 and 1919. Some of the inscriptions have paintings and drawings attached.

We have not yet established how this book came into our family, but researching it has led us to your posts here.

Regards
Rebecca & Jill
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline MaccaAddison

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Tuesday 26 April 11 22:25 BST (UK) »
Rebecca & Jill

I am so sorry that I have only just got back to you, but if I have only just seen the post. I usually get alerted so I must have missed it. I am so excited by your comments - I am very very interested because it sound like my Granddad's family - the names tie up.

Are there any Evans in your family?

My email address is (*)

Thank you for contacting me

Very best wishes

Mark

(*) Moderator Comment: e-mail removed in accordance with RootsChat policy,
to avoid spamming and other abuses.
Please use the Personal Message (PM) system for exchanging personal data.

New members must make at least three postings before being allowed to use the PM facility.
See Help-Page:  http://www.rootschat.com/help/pms.php

Offline printerfixer

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Tuesday 27 January 15 20:58 GMT (UK) »
I've enjoyed reading this thread. I too am an Evans. My Grandfather was Ernest, son of George. I was trying to track down my great Uncle Mark, who was Ernest's brother. He was one of the orphaned children sent to Australia in 1922. I traced him to Wallsend where he passed away in 1974. This has given me enough info to start our family tree so thank you to all the contributors.
Malcolm