Author Topic: Crawford & Strahan anyone  (Read 7495 times)

Offline SIMW

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Crawford & Strahan anyone
« Reply #9 on: Saturday 14 February 09 01:06 GMT (UK) »
I think, it's in Dunaghy Old graveyard.

Offline dwrcrawford

• RootsChat Extra
  • Ballymena, Co Antrim, take me home...country roads
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Sunday 15 February 09 11:11 GMT (UK) »
Just wanted to post a public thanks to SIMW who has directed me to the info. Apparently it was were i thought it should be but the gravestone has been laid flat...definitely going to have a look next time i get home to NI.
Crawford: Kilburnie to Clough
Strahan: Clough
McKillen: Ballyclug/Tully
McCue: Broughshane

Offline Yodi

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Friday 27 February 09 02:14 GMT (UK) »
 ???
Well, well, well, why haven't I found you sooner, and I think I may recognize a contributor or two!    I, too, am seeking to place my surname ancestor, who is an immigrant to the United States from Co. Antrim 1800-1803, a James Strahan b. 1777, who married an Ann Jane Blair in Donegore Seceder (sp?) Church ca 1800, dau of Hugh Blair and Jane Thompson.     I've been working on this ca 39 years, and have corresponded with a number of researchers over the years and am finally getting around to trying to sort out conflicting reports of wives and relationships and to pin down places and times of events and if possibly to find the 'bones.'
There are several comments by several persons in this exchange that I would love to jump in on, but I'll try to take one at a time.
     Like others of you have various Samuels with various wives and sometimes the same Samuel with different reported wives:
1)   there's the Samuel who is the freeholder in Rathkenny/Skerry in 1776 who may be the Samuel married to Jean Martin's father (the birth order and naming of the Sam married to Jean Martin's children would suggest that his father was a Samuel)—this is the Sam w/ the sister Ann married to Robert Crawford and the daughter Mary married to a Daniel McKay;
2) one researcher held that there was a Samuel in Lisnacrogher (Rathkenny?) who was a brother of George d.1784 Lisnacrogher and that this Samuel had three sons—a James, a George, and another Samuel, the Samuel of Rathkenny married to Jean Martin.  Apparently  Ann married to Robert Crawford would have been their sister.    [I think there may have been another son John]   Does anyone out there know anything about a James Strahan and John Strahan, farmers in Inshamph in 1783?   I have wondered if these could be sons of the Samuel who is in Rathkenny in 1776.
3)   then there is Samuel and Jean Martin's son Samuel married to Mary Hyndman, who is also a Sam of Rathkenny.
4)  the there's a Samuel of Syndenham, Co. Down,  who dies 1889 and is an executor for another of Sam married to Jean Martin's sons;
5) and there's this Samuel of Dunbought or Clough, depending on researcher, who is married either to a Sarah Mary Alexander or a Mary Brown or both [grandson born in US is Samuel Brown Strahan]—depending on researcher this Samuel is either s/o George d.1784 Lisnacrogher son James or the brother Samuel's son James or the son of an Alexander born 1750 Aberdeen.

So my question does anyone out there has dates for any of these Sam Strahans and/or their spouses?

I can report that both a child of Samuel married to Jean b. 1822 Rathkenny and a child b. 1825 Dunbought/Clough of Samuel of Dunbought/Clough married to Mary Brown/Sarah Mary Alexander in the 1880 census report that they and both of their parents were born in Scotland!    So presumeably none of them were in Co. Antrim in 1776!

Offline dwrcrawford

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Friday 27 February 09 23:40 GMT (UK) »
wow....i've had to print out your last post Yodi to try to make head or tail of it. and i'm still a bit flummoxed. I think you've mistakenly named samuel strahan as married to Jean Martins father....which i think you'd agree is wrong on several counts. I wonder if you'd possibly re-read your message and edit it if possible where necessary to clarify who you're talking about. (the Jean Martin example i've just cited isnt the only one i'm afraid which has me confused.) Sorry about that! but i think the info you are providing is going to be extremely useful to me but at the moment i am stuck!
:)

Offline dwrcrawford

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Saturday 28 February 09 00:03 GMT (UK) »
I have looked on my tree and found the Samuel Strahan (b1823 d1888) & Mary Hyndman branch.
I have Samuels parents as being Samuel Strahan b c1790 d 1855 and Mary McIntyre b c1794 d 1846
Samuel Strahan (b1790 d1855) is Ann Strahan's brother. Ann Strahan b1786 d1848 married Robert Crawford.
I dont believe Jean Martin was anything to do with the Strahans. As far as I know she married a McCay...and they produced Daniel McCay who married Mary Strahan (the daughter of Samuel & Mary McIntyre)

Offline Yodi

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Saturday 28 February 09 17:27 GMT (UK) »
Thank you for getting back.....I am very very puzzled by all of these Samuels and differing spouses.    I received the information re the Jean Martin from a long time researcher in a family descended from their son Andrew, whose wedding was performed in NYC by my Strachan/Strahan immigrant's nephew-in-law the Rev. Hugh Henry Blair.    She's quite definite about Jean being wife of Andrew's father and would support it with Martin being a given name among the grandchildren of the couple as in Thomas Martin Strahan's being a son of John the Builder d. 1892 Belfast? 
I'm wondering if Jean Martin could have married twice or Samuel married twice—once to a Mary McIntyre and once to Jean.    She also has same born ca 1750 and start family after age 60, so he might have been previously married, which another son of John the Builder says happened to his father (and I think he meant his grandfather)
Do you have any dates on the Sam married to Mary McIntyre?
I'm also wondering if this Sam is s/o a Sam who is a freeholder in Rathkenny in 1776 and if he may have been married to Mary McIntyre.

Offline akanex2

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Wednesday 04 March 09 15:10 GMT (UK) »
Hi Cousins

According to the information I have Jean Martin was definitely the mother of Daniel McCay who married Mary Strahan.  This came from a typewritten family tree which another cousin gave my mother several years ago.  Of course as we are descended from both the McCays and Strahans someone may have got the grandmothers mixed up years ago and, once written down it, any mistake would be perpetuated.  I have certainly not seen any original documentary evidence that Daniel mother was Jean Martin.  I have however seen the 1851 census transcript for Daniel's father in law, Samuel Strahan, which shows his wife was called Mary, not Jean.

1851 Census Returns of Ireland Co Antrim - Dunaghy Parish - Donbought Townland
19. SAMUEL STRAGHAN, 60 (Head) [Widower] - FARMER (Antrim) (R/W)
SARAH STRAGHAN, 30 (Daughter) [Unmarried] - HOUSEWORK (Antrim) (R)
JOHN McCALISTER, 20 (Servant) [Unmarried] - LABOURER (Antrim)
Absent from Household 30th March 1851:
MARGARET STRAGHAN, 23 (Daughter) - NONE {America}
Died Since 6th June 1841:
MARY STRAGHAN, 52 (Wife) - NONE - Inflamation - Spring 1846

I will have a good look at Yodis information and try to fit it together which what I have.

Offline Yodi

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Wednesday 04 March 09 16:17 GMT (UK) »
Trouble with replies is that I can't look at your message as I write.

I think other researchers have Samuel of Dunbought married to Mary Brown or Sarah Mary Brown because her grandson is Samuel Brown Strahan by James Alexander Strahan and neither his wife's mother's maiden name nor his mother's mother maiden name was Brown.
If you look at the census for Daniel McCay the name of his second daughter is Mary not Jean.    .
My guess is that the Mary McIntyre was his mother and Jean Martin was Mary's mother as the oldest daughter is a Jane.
At least so far as I understand naming practices, this explanation would make sense:   'tis Mary McIntyre or some Mary was Daniel's mother and some Jean/Jane Mary's mother.
It's really easy to interchange the names especially if you are not looking at the whole family group. . . .

Offline percy porter

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Alan NZ
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Wednesday 04 March 09 16:42 GMT (UK) »
Trouble with replies is that I can't look at your message as I write.

All previous posts are shown underneath the reply message box, just scroll down a bit! :)

Alan NZ
Britton:Hawkins: London
Stephenson: Cox: London
Straughan: Sweeney: Newcastle/Durham
Liddell: Hobson:Newcastle/Durham
Horne:Oxfordshire/ Bienfait/Winnipeg
Voss: Dorset