Author Topic: Jonathon Henry LING  (Read 13571 times)

Offline ckbartley5

• RootsChat Extra
  • William Henry & Eva Annie Ling
    • View Profile
Jonathon Henry LING
« on: Thursday 08 January 09 12:31 GMT (UK) »
I am trying to find any information about my GGGF Jonathon Henry Ling, born approx 1836 in England, died 1908 Wollongong, NSW Australia. Married Fanny Stokes in Victoria Australia 1875, had ten children (Ellen Beatrice, Rosanna Priscilla, Helena Maud, William Henry, Emma, George Benjamin, Charles C, Blanche E, Florence A, Gwendoline M). Could have possible migrated to Australia as assisted immigrant in 1856 on "Arthur the Great".
Marriage certificate to Fanny Stokes shows his parents as John Ling and Mary Jane Bowen, death certificate shows parents as Francis and Mary.

Any information on his life in England, such as where he lived, sibliings, or his parents would be much appreciated.

Thank you
Kelly Bartley (nee Ling)

Ling, Blair, Mason, Oglethorpe, Curley, Chick

Offline scrappyshaz

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Jonathon Henry Ling
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 08 January 09 13:05 GMT (UK) »
Hi Kelly,

There is a possible family in the 1841 Census:
Barking, Romford, Essex
HO 107 323/10/14
John Ling  35  Sawyer
Mary Ling  40
William Ling  16  Ap   (possibly apprentice?)
Alice Ling   11
John Ling  5
Susan Ling  3
Henry 1          All born in the county of Essex.

I can't find tem in 1851 - perhaps someone else will have a look & see what else they can find on this family.
Shaz
HOLTON - Buckingham, Middlesex, New Zealand, Australia
JARVIS - Buckingham, Hertford, Australia
CROSS - Walmer Kent, New Zealand
PURSER - Idlicote, Warwickshire

Offline ckbartley5

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 08 January 09 21:42 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for looking for me Shaz.  I am stumped on this branch of the family.  John and Mary Ling are such common names which makes it really hard to trace, plus I cannot find what part of England they came from.  Any locality information I have on Jonathon Henry just says London.

On the assisted passenger list which we think Jonathon Ling migrated to Australia on, it shows other Lings travelled with him, but no parents listed.  I am assuming that these other Lings are siblings, but I am not sure of this.

LING   ELIZTH   20   JUN   1856   ARTHUR THE GREAT   
LING   GEORGE   13   JUN   1856   ARTHUR THE GREAT   
LING   JOHN   14   JUN   1856   ARTHUR THE GREAT   
LING   MARY ANN   18   JUN   1856   ARTHUR THE GREAT   
LING   SARAH   16   JUN   1856   ARTHUR THE GREAT   

Thanks for your help.  I will put the Lings you found on my possible list.

Regards,
Kelly :)

:)

Offline tropicalj

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • six grandkids
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 08 January 09 23:02 GMT (UK) »
http://ndpbeta.nla.gov.au/ndp/del/article/2504304

FYI

there is an article on the arrival of "Alfred the Great"

You  would  have to feel  that  his parents names given on  his marriage  certificate would be correct as he has given  their names himself.

Does  his death certificate  say  how long in the Colonies  if so  when and where please,

One on the ladies on  here goes to Pro-vic  and kindly does lookups  for  emigration  etc.  I  will  pm  here  and ask  her to  look at  this thread for you.  The record might just give you a bit more seeing as how it is for an assisted person.

Jenn

Jenn
When you search for ancestors, you find great friends!
I live in Townsville researching
TOWNSEND,PINNEGAR, STRANGE, PULLEN, GRIFFIN from Wiltshire,,
SHOEBRIDGE, VINALL, BRINDLE, Kent
BAYLEY, Dorset,Yorkshire,
HAIR, Durham,
CUMMINS, BROWNLESS from Yorkshire,
EDSALL,  Cornwall,
MORGAN, HENNESSY, BAKER,  Ireland.
VAN REYK Sri Lanka
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.au

Offline judb

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 09 January 09 03:39 GMT (UK) »
There is also a John LING on unassisted list arriving Victoria 1853 on James L Bogert aged 21, not quite the right age for your fellow, but sometimes travellers put their ages up or down.

I have relatives who came unassisted and wrote back to others in the family to make sure they got an assisted passage as the first family didn't realise they could have had assistance. 

A long shot, but you never know.....
Cheers, Judith
DYER - Wilts, London, Somerset, MIDLANE - Hants, Wilts, SONE - Hants, WRIGHT - London, Hants, SEAGER - Deptford, DWYER, FERGUSON - Victoria, MASON - Woodford Vic, BALLARD - South Wales, GOULDBY - Lowestoft
"Time present and time past are both perhaps present in time future..." T S Eliot

UK Census information Crown Copyrightt, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline ckbartley5

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 09 January 09 05:26 GMT (UK) »
Thank you Jenn and Judith for looking for me.  I have just had a breakthrough with John Henry's parents. 

I came across a page from Keith Reeves on Rootsweb and this shows Mary Jane Bowen born about 1810 in London, married John Ling, also born about 1810 London, married 15th July 1834 Saint Bride, Fleet Street, London, one son, John Henry Ling, born 1836, London. 

I have emailled Keith asking for any further information about John and Mary Ling.

I still havent figured out if the other Lings who migrated with John Ling are siblings.

Thank you for your help everyone.  It looks like I am finally going in the right direction.

Regards,
Kelly

Offline tropicalj

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • six grandkids
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 09 January 09 05:44 GMT (UK) »
I  just looked at  the marriage on A...y  on  the Pallot's marraiges  and it  says Mary Bowen and John LONG

I  wonder if it was an error in translation.

Jenn
When you search for ancestors, you find great friends!
I live in Townsville researching
TOWNSEND,PINNEGAR, STRANGE, PULLEN, GRIFFIN from Wiltshire,,
SHOEBRIDGE, VINALL, BRINDLE, Kent
BAYLEY, Dorset,Yorkshire,
HAIR, Durham,
CUMMINS, BROWNLESS from Yorkshire,
EDSALL,  Cornwall,
MORGAN, HENNESSY, BAKER,  Ireland.
VAN REYK Sri Lanka
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.au

Offline judb

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 09 January 09 07:11 GMT (UK) »
Oh, that's excellent!

That marriage is noted on the IGI as well with husband transcribed as "John LING". IGI have a couple of possible births/baptisms for both John and Mary but nothing that you could be sure about.

Maybe you could look at  the register entries through an LDS family history centre annd have a look.  May give parent names or witnesses.

Cheers, Judith

DYER - Wilts, London, Somerset, MIDLANE - Hants, Wilts, SONE - Hants, WRIGHT - London, Hants, SEAGER - Deptford, DWYER, FERGUSON - Victoria, MASON - Woodford Vic, BALLARD - South Wales, GOULDBY - Lowestoft
"Time present and time past are both perhaps present in time future..." T S Eliot

UK Census information Crown Copyrightt, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline dpatt

• RootsChat Pioneer
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 16 November 09 07:16 GMT (UK) »

Hi Kelly
What a lovely surprise to come across your RootsChat forum entry by accident via Google, and realise that your 3GGGF Jonathan Henry Ling must be the brother of my GGM Susannah Mary Ling! (in 25 years i haven't found anyone else tracing our LINGs)

In fact JH (named Henry John) and SM were both baptised on the same day, 30 June 1837, at St Anne’s Limehouse, though their surname is indexed as LONG.

Like you I started off with very little information about the LING family. A distant cousin had a copy of the 1855 English marriage certificate of our great-grandparents, William KENNERSON and Susannah LING, which showed they married at St Mary Bow Stratford (east of the City of London). It also gave her father as John LING, occupation sawyer. For a long time I had no more detail.

Then after much searching on the old census microfilms, I got lucky and found the family on the 1851 census at 5 Ebenezer Place, Limehouse beside the Thames. The other details were useful:

John Ling   
head   
sawyer   
age 49   
b Kent Woolwich

Mary Ling   
wife   

b Kent  Gravesend

John   
son   
sawyer   
b Mdx Limehouse

Henry   
do   

do

Susana   
dau   

do

Alice Bowen   
daur   

do

Ann Batt [or possibly Pratt]    

b Sry Rotherhithe

Alice’s surname made me think about a previous marriage, which helped to fit with the 1834 marriage of John LING widower and Mary Jane BOWEN widow at St Bride Fleet Street witnessed by were James E GOOD and Sarah GOOD (not yet identified)

Next I found on the IGI the previous marriage of Mary Jane (nee MUZZARD) to John Thomas BOWEN a waterman, in Chalk, Kent. Their numerous children baptised in Gravesend  included the above Alice. It appears that John Thomas B (possibly known as Thomas) died between 1832 and 1834; there is a possible burial in 1832.

I do hope you are still watching Rootschat as it would be great to share future information. (I have more about the Lings, Muzzards (and Bowens) if you are tracking all lines)

My GGGparents Susannah and William Kennerson migrated to Victoria in 1857 and have numerous descendants across Australia, especially in Melbourne where I live.

Your distant relative

Deborah