Author Topic: Blakely/Bleakley in Newtownards  (Read 33522 times)

Offline akanex2

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
Re: Blakely/Bleakley in Newtownards
« Reply #18 on: Friday 06 February 09 23:26 GMT (UK) »
Fiona

That is brilliant - many thanks indeed!  Could you possibly send me a scan of Mary Blakely's baptism in 1873?  She is my gt granny.  I'll PM you my email address.

Thanks again

AK2

Offline yankyfoxtrot

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Tuesday 10 February 09 21:51 GMT (UK) »
Hi. I am the great grandson of William Blakely.  I have been researching him for years and have
recently discovered that he used a different name throughout his life.  Loads more info if you would like to hear it.

Offline akanex2

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Tuesday 10 February 09 22:43 GMT (UK) »
Would love to hear any information you have and I'm very interested to hear how you are descended from William. 

Once you have posted a few more messages you will be able to use the Personal Messaging option to send me stuff you don't want posted in the public domain.

Offline yankyfoxtrot

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Wednesday 11 February 09 21:37 GMT (UK) »
Hi. OK here goes, hope I can remember it all. Williams parents were John and Jane.  She was his second wife formerly Cadell and her maiden name was Gibson.  They had two sons and for whatever reason called both of them William.  The second one died very young.  The first William was registered as William James Blakely born on 19th March 1876 at Valentine Street, Belfast  On his birth certificate his mothers maiden name is spelt as Kell which is wrong. During his life he went by the name of James Alexander Blakely and his death record from the States confirms his date of birth on it.  He married a Matilda McCashen when they were both 19yrs and had a daughter Lizzie who was my grandmother.  She married a Fred Barlow in Glasgow and they had a daughter Jane Blakely Barlow who was my mother. I have some photos of the family and have really struggled with this one.  There is family in the states and I visited them in 2004.  Hope all this makes sense to you and you find it helpful.

Offline akanex2

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Wednesday 11 February 09 23:12 GMT (UK) »
Hi YF

Sorry, your William is over 30 years younger than my guy and I can't see any connection between them with what I know so far.  Did John and Jane come from Newtownards do you know?  Maybe with a bit more digging we can find a link.

AK2

Offline yankyfoxtrot

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Thursday 12 February 09 16:38 GMT (UK) »
Hi AK2
Thanks for that.  Just have to keep plodding on.  My attention to this of course in the first place was the date of birth.  Will carry on digging though.
Best wishes
YF

Offline akanex2

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Friday 21 August 09 15:39 BST (UK) »
Just an update on what I have found since my first post:

William who died in 1909 actually did get his age right on one official document - the 1901 census where he got his childrens' ages wrong!

I have located his baptism in 1st Newtownards Prebyterian and he was born on 15 July 1848.  His parents were William Blakely and Ursilla McCully (McAuley) and he had 3 other siblings in the church records - Anne Jane (1850), Ellen (1861) and James Alexander (1869).  Anne Jane married James Quinn in 1871 (also in 1st Newtownards).

The elder William was the son of John Blakely and Anne Jane (Nancy) Kilpatrick of Greenwell St, Newtownards.  His brothers and sisters are baptised in Newtownards Non Subscribing Prebyterian and include Ann Jane (m Samuel Morrow), James (m Jane Johnston), Robert and Charles (elder children predate church records).

I would love to hear from any descendants of this family and many thanks to everyone who helped me so far.

Offline wildfowl

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Wednesday 23 September 09 16:20 BST (UK) »
hi i found this post with a google search.i am interested in thomas taylor and anna carroll as they are mygreat,great grandparents i ordered the wedding certificate and it arrived yesterday and then i found this page.would it be possible fiona for you to look up if there were any more carroll marriages as i am looking for annas brothers and sisters.
akanex2 there are more children
annie taylor born 1865
richard carroll taylor 17 feb 1867-16 may 1939 my great grandad
mum anna carroll was born in 1843 and dad thomas taylor was born in 1842 old swan west derby liverpool his father is john taylor and his mum is margaret.if your a member of ancestry.com i am wildfowl and my tree is fowler family tree  you will see some census etc .

Offline akanex2

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Wednesday 23 September 09 19:48 BST (UK) »
Hi Wildfowl

Would love to make contact - I know of at least 1 other sister and two brothers of Anna and Elizabeth Carroll and have some death certificate/baptism details.  I'm not a member of ancestry.com but if you make another 2 postings on this site we will be able to use the personal message system to swap email addresses and I can send you the stuff I have (& vice versa).

Hope to be in touch soon.

AK2