Author Topic: Rebekah (Rebecca) Jacobs  (Read 18766 times)

Offline Necromancer

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • I've updated my profile ......
    • View Profile
Re: Rebekah (Rebecca) Jacobs
« Reply #18 on: Friday 09 January 09 11:10 GMT (UK) »
Nice one Liz ....  8)

seem to remember from a WDYTYA episode that their records are detailed .....
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline JustinL

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Friday 09 January 09 11:42 GMT (UK) »
Hello everyone,

I stumbled across this thread before lizlb sent me the PM.

It seems to me that John Jacobs 'married out'. The United Synagogue database does not have any record of a Jacobs/Winslow marriage in the period 1880 to 1888.

In which census did you find John's father Hyman? Do you know when he died?

A practising ashkenazi Jew would regard it as very bad luck to name any child after a living relative.

As to whether Rebecca was an assumed name, I suppose it's possible. The other thread that lizlb referred to did involve a woman known as Susan and Esther, names which have no connection in Judaism/Hebrew.

Sorry I cannot be of more help - yet.

Justin

Offline avm228

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Friday 09 January 09 11:52 GMT (UK) »
IGI has a baptism for one of the children:

Edward Aaron Jacobs
Baptised:  22 March 1891   
All Saints, Lambeth

Parents:  John Jacobs & Lydia   
Ayr: Barnes, Wylie
Caithness: MacGregor
Essex: Eldred (Pebmarsh)
Gloucs: Timbrell (Winchcomb)
Hants: Stares (Wickham)
Lincs: Maw, Jackson (Epworth, Belton)
London: Pierce
Suffolk: Markham (Framlingham)
Surrey: Gosling (Richmond)
Wilts: Matthews, Tarrant (Calne, Preshute)
Worcs: Milward (Redditch)
Yorks: Beaumont, Crook, Moore, Styring (Huddersfield); Middleton (Church Fenton); Exley, Gelder (High Hoyland); Barnes, Birchinall (Sheffield); Kenyon, Wood (Cumberworth/Denby Dale)

Offline 'Trish'

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Friday 09 January 09 14:11 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for baptism of Edward, this is a prime example, her name was possibly Adelaide Ann Winslow but took the name of Rebecca/Rebekah.  On her daughter Florence's birth cert she gives the name of Olivia & on the birth of Edward gives the name Lydia.  The husband of Adelaide/Rebecca/Rebekah/Olivia/Lydia - John Jacobs also aka Jacob Jacobs, cant find his birth either.  Seems a little odd to say the least!  But would welcome help.  I have found John Jacobs on the 1871 Census.   I found John, Rebecca & children on Census for 1891 & 1901.  On one census he was born London City in another Bishopsgate.

regards Pauline
Fear, Puddy, Bunn, Hemsbury - Wedmore Somerset.  Watts - Romsey Hants, Frome Somerset, Warminster Wilts & Wokingham Berkshire.  Roberts - Newport, Stone Glos, Austin - Monmouth. Dix or Dicks - Frome. Pugh - Llanbrynmair, Trevithin & Tafolwern

Offline avm228

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Friday 09 January 09 14:14 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for baptism of Edward, this is a prime example, her name was possibly Adelaide Ann Winslow but took the name of Rebecca/Rebekah.  On her daughter Florence's birth cert she gives the name of Olivia & on the birth of Edward gives the name Lydia.  The husband of Adelaide/Rebecca/Rebekah/Olivia/Lydia - John Jacobs also aka Jacob Jacobs, cant find his birth either.  Seems a little odd to say the least!  But would welcome help.  I have found John Jacobs on the 1871 Census.   I found John, Rebecca & children on Census for 1891 & 1901.  On one census he was born London City in another Bishopsgate.

regards Pauline

Pauline, you said in your first post in this thread that you'd found John's father Hyman Jacobs.  Where and when have you found him?

Anna
Yorks: Beaumont, Crook, Moore, Styring (Huddersfield); Middleton (Church Fenton); Exley, Gelder (High Hoyland); Barnes, Birchinall (Sheffield); Kenyon, Wood (Cumberworth/Denby Dale)

Offline 'Trish'

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Friday 09 January 09 14:22 GMT (UK) »
Hyman Jacobs born 1831 Poland with his wife Henrietta Friedman + child Rebecca (not the right one) & his brother Isaac living next door with his wife and children on the 1871 census.

Regards Pauline
Fear, Puddy, Bunn, Hemsbury - Wedmore Somerset.  Watts - Romsey Hants, Frome Somerset, Warminster Wilts & Wokingham Berkshire.  Roberts - Newport, Stone Glos, Austin - Monmouth. Dix or Dicks - Frome. Pugh - Llanbrynmair, Trevithin & Tafolwern

Offline 'Trish'

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Friday 09 January 09 14:35 GMT (UK) »
Hi this is what I do know  :D

Rebecca/Rebekah/Olivia/Lydia/Adelaide Ann gave her home address as 14 Artillery Passage London (owned by Philip Jacobs) John's address was 2 Raymore Place, Heneage Street London.  Her father was a William Winslow ( I have found him) and John's father was a Hyman Jacobs (I have found him)  But the problem I have is in the childrens christening etc.  I have got them in the 1891 (14 Thorparch Road, Battersea) and 1901 Census 87 Thorparch Road Battersea).

No havent seem Rebecca on a census with her parents, only when she was married to John Jacobs.  I have 1861 - 1891Census,  but no Rebecca.

1861 Census 24 Half Moon Street Bishopsgate
William Winslow Head mar age 27 Labourer (Jobber) born Shoreditch
Elizabeth Winslow Wife mar age 23 Shoemaker born Shoreditch
Richard Winslow son 9m born Shoreditch

1871 Census 73 Long Alley Shoreditch
William Winslow Head mar age 38 gas porter born Shoreditch
Elizabeth Winslow ife marr age 31 Shoebinder born Shoreditch
John Winslow son 15 Riveller born City of London
Adelaide Winslow dau age 9 Scholar born Shoreditch

1881 Census 11 Hearn Street London Middlesex (2nd Marriage)
William Winslow Head Marr age 45 born Finsbury Middlesex Laboure Eng (Artz)
Mary Winslow wife Marr age 22 born Lincoln England
Mary A Winslow dau unm age 8 Shoreditch
Joseph Winslow son unm age 3 Shoreditch
William H Brownlow Lodger unm age 26 Shoreditch Marble polisher

1891 Census 11 Hearn Street London Middlesex
Thomas Keough So S 27 M Roller in Printing office born Shoreditch London
George Burden H Wi 44 Soap Packer and Carter born Arundel Sussex
Eva Priscilla Burden Dau S 17 F Button & Stud Maker born Arundel Sussex
John Burden Son S 14 M Book Binder Folder born Arundel Sussex
Ann Facey  Wi 71 F Monthly Nurse, Sick born Shoreditch
William Winslow H M 57 M Labourer, Printing Machine maker, born Shoreditch London
Mary Winslow W M 56 F  born Kelsey Lincolnshire
Mary Ann Winslow Dau D 19F   Born Shoreditch London
Joseph Winslow So S 13 M Roller Labourer, Printing office. born Shoreditch London.

Offline 'Trish'

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Friday 09 January 09 14:39 GMT (UK) »
I have the information on William Winslow of long Alley, that is her father.  It is the problem trying to locate Rebecca (Rebekah) Jacobs nee Winslow.  Yes the Jacobs line is Jewish from Poland found the Father Hyman at Hutchison Avenue, Shoreditch.  Its been Rebecca thats the problem the only address I have is off the 1891 and 1901 Census.  John's occupation Carman/Cab driver.  But on marriage cert he is a Cordial makers Assistant, as with Rebecca on one census the birthplace is Bishopsgate (which would fall in with the rest of the family info) but on another 1901 its London City.  Yes, all the names of the children come off the census.  What I am trying to achieve is the names of the children and their date of birth and/or baptism, then the mother's birth certificate.  I know that there was another Rebecca Jacobs which was John Jacobs's sister.  I also have problem with John and locating his birth, yet again he seems to alter his name.  Really lost and dont know which way to go.
John's father was Hyman Jacobs and his mother Henrietta friedman.  Rebecca (John's wife) father William Winslow mother Elizabeth Hunt.  As Rebecca was lodging at 14 Artillery Passage, and that was owned by Philip Jacobs, I thought there might be a connection there? This family has been an absolute nightmare! Regards Pauline

Offline avm228

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Friday 09 January 09 14:45 GMT (UK) »
Hyman Jacobs born 1831 Poland with his wife Henrietta Friedman + child Rebecca (not the right one) & his brother Isaac living next door with his wife and children on the 1871 census.

Regards Pauline

How do you know this is John's father Hyman (apart from sharing a name)?

I see that Hyman and "Harriett" are in St Botolph without Aldgate in 1861, 10-month old daughter Rebecca with them but no John: RG9/210/40/31

Anna