Author Topic: Rhodes Family of Derbyshire  (Read 12353 times)

Offline dusty_streets

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Rhodes Family of Derbyshire
« on: Saturday 10 January 09 14:39 GMT (UK) »
I am researching the descendants of the Rhodes Family who lived in Shirland & Alfreton in Derbyshire from c1625+

I am trying to find out who they all married & who all their descendants were up to 1900's. 

I would appreciate any info. shared & will share any info. I have.

Dawn      :)

Rhodes, Bott, Wild, Brentnall, Burton, Cooper, Carty, Wallhead, Bowler, Scott, Pearson, Owen, Mills, Bacon, Turner, Wilson, Hartley, Mellows, Clarke, Shaw.

Offline Thos Rhodes

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Rhodes Family of Derbyshire
« Reply #1 on: Friday 06 February 09 20:12 GMT (UK) »
Hi Dawn, All my relatives going back to1800 lived in Brampton, if I can be any help please let me know, you never know you might be related to William Rhodes, Mayor of Chesterfield 1921 which I am not. regards.
          Tom Rhodes

Offline dusty_streets

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 06 February 09 23:01 GMT (UK) »
Hello Tom,
William Rhodes is a member of my tree.  A Thomas & Elizabeth Rhodes were [m] in Shirland & settled in Brampton Chesterfield c1800 where they started their little dynasty.

A few other 'Shirland' Rhodes families have made their way to Chesterfield over the years - as well as there being other Rhodes families who were from the area.

Might I know who your family line is please?  :)

Dawn

Rhodes, Bott, Wild, Brentnall, Burton, Cooper, Carty, Wallhead, Bowler, Scott, Pearson, Owen, Mills, Bacon, Turner, Wilson, Hartley, Mellows, Clarke, Shaw.

Offline oly

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 07 February 09 17:47 GMT (UK) »
Hello Dawn

About 40 Rhodes marriages in Shirland and Alfreton 1695 to 1837.
In 1653 Thomas Rhodes was elected as Parish Registrar, this was the first entry in the Norton register.
Do you have all these.

Regards Oly
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Oliver - Swinton nr. Rotherham, South Yorks
          - Wombwell nr. Barnsley, South Yorks
          - Sheffield and Wortley, South Yorks
          - Loughborough
Naylor- Derbyshire and Nottinghamshire

Offline Thos Rhodes

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 07 February 09 19:14 GMT (UK) »
Hi Dawn, I am not 100% about Richard Rhodes b 1786 at brampton married Sarah Linney 18/ 3/1811. had a son 1820 with the name of William?
Now I do know that G G Grandfather William Rhodes b 1820sh married Frances Holehouse on the 30/6/1844, on the Brampton Baptisms it says that they had a child with the name of Sarah b 21/10/1844 four months after.
Charlotte my G Grandmother b 22/2/1847
William b 26/9/1852,  Mary b 25/3/1855,  Richard b 28/10/1857, Frances b 2/12/1860.
Charlotte my G Grandmother had two children before she got married, Arthur Wildgoose Rhodes and Walter Rhodes who is my Grandfarther.
Thats about it Dawn, if you go down the Derbyshire list you will see my g d and g m.

Offline dusty_streets

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 07 February 09 20:26 GMT (UK) »
Oly - I most probably have all the Shirland & Alfreton marriages thank you.  I didn't know there was a Thomas Rhodes who was a Registrar though so thank you for that tidbit.   :)

Tom - I have your line - we're connected & have the same tree. 
Richard Bp: 4 July 1791 St. Leonard, Shirland [m] Sarah Linney at Brampton.  He died 1852 aged 61yrs. 
Richard's parents were Thomas & Elizabeth [nee Benton] Rhodes who [m] 14 Dec. 1788 St. Leonard, Shirland.  Thos. & Eliz. had 3 children in Shirland then came to Brampton & had 7 more.  I've spent the last few months sorting out Thos. & Elizabeth's dynasty.  I've also been in touch with a couple of their descendants who've shared their info.

'Your' Thomas was the brother of George Rhodes who was my 5xG. grandfather.

I'm adding to the info./tree of mine that I have all the time; but if you want me to burn you a copy - as it is right now -  I'll certainly do so  :)

Any info. you want to give/add will be appreciated.

Offline D_P

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 22 July 10 14:42 BST (UK) »
Hi Guys,

I too am trying to trace back my Rhodes ancestors also of Chesterfield. I have been struggling to find any records for my Gt Grandad & Grandmother's marriage. His name was Thomas & her maiden name was Wilby. Judging from when my Grandad was born (1917) i figure they would have been married a few years before and probablly born in the 1890s?. Is it possible that my Gt Grandad fits in with your trees?

I would be pleased to hear from you with any information you might have which either proves or disproves this.

Here's hoping! Donna

Offline dusty_streets

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 13 September 10 13:07 BST (UK) »
Hi Donna,
On FREEBMD I found a marriage for a Thomas Rhodes & Polly Wilby 1905 June 1/4 N. Brierley 9b 360.
There are births registered for N. Brierly & Chesterfield from 1911-1918.
It may be you'll have to send for your Grandad's birth cert. if you don't have it for your Grandmother's name - then send for the marriage cert. of your G. Grandparents.
This may or May not be your family Did your grandad have a brother named Harry?
1911 Census: 23 Grove St. Hasland, Chesterfield
H: Thomas Rhodes, 32, Engibne Fitter, B: Stanningley, Yks.
W: Polly Rhodes, 32, B: Farsley, Yks.
S: Harry Rhodes, 2mnths, B: Hasland, Yks.

Offline D_P

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 15 September 10 14:50 BST (UK) »
Hi dusty-streets,

Just received your message and checked this thread. Thank you so much for your help! My Grandad did have a brother called Harry and my Mum thought her Grandmother was called Peggy (she was close!!), she also knew they lived in Hasland. So, all coupled together it appears your information does relate to my family and from this i have been able to check back further and find other distant relatives.

Once again thank you very much for your help - it is most appreciated  ;D ;D ;D