Author Topic: WW1 Silver Wound Badge - trace number?  (Read 6703 times)

Offline ncarussell

• RootsChat Pioneer
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
WW1 Silver Wound Badge - trace number?
« on: Saturday 10 January 09 20:23 GMT (UK) »
Hi, we have recently found a WW1 Silver War Wound medal amoungst some possesions. We believe the medal was awarded to someone on my fathers side of the family and most likely serving in a Hampshire Regiment. Surnames linked with the family are Russell, Webber, Clarke and Attrill.

The number on the medal is 469179.

Unfortunately my father cannot remember being told who the medal was awarded to.

I have tried looking on the National Archives website to find a medal roll record but as we only have the number on the medal itself I cannot find a way to search for the recipient. I have come across a few websites that say it is possible to search with the number alone but little details on how to do this. One site says that I would need to go to Kew - however this would be near impossible as I cannot drive and live a fair distance away.

I would be grateful if anyone is able to help me with the search or forward me in the right direction.

Thanks in advance.

Nicola

Offline neil1821

• I am sorry but my email address is no longer working
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: WW1 Silver Wound Badge - trace number?
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 10 January 09 21:59 GMT (UK) »
Hi Nicola,

It's just a badge, not a medal. It's known as the Silver War Badge or SWB.

It is possible to search with the SWB number alone, but you're right that this will have to be done at Kew. SWB lists aren't online.
If you can't get to Kew yourself, you can either hire a researcher, or get a friend to go on your behalf, or even find someone on the forum here who's willing to do you a favour when they next go.  :)

The number is simply a serial number of the badge, it's not related to a soldier's serial number at all.
But it's certainly worth the effort to search, as the SWB lists give you a fair bit of information. An example:
Name interests: Boulton, Murrell, Lock, Croxton, Skinner, Blewett, Tonkin, Trathen.
Military History & Medals

Offline morick

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 07 April 18 21:29 BST (UK) »
Hi Nichola, the badge was issued to 98186 Private GEORGE ALBERT RUSSELL, Labour Corps, address given as 22 Jervis Road, Stamshaw, Portsmouth. You can find his service record on Ancestry. hope this helps.
regards, morick

Offline StanleysChesterton

• RootsChat Veteran
  • My G-grandmother on right, 1955
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 07 April 18 22:43 BST (UK) »
GEORGE ALBERT RUSSELL, Labour Corps, address given as 22 Jervis Road, Stamshaw, Portsmouth. 
From the newspapers of 1926, a match for name/address died.

RUSSELL—On January 3rd, George Albert Russell, dear beloved husband of Alice Russell, of 22, Jervis Road. Portsmouth, passed peacefully away, age 48
Portsmouth Evening News, 6 January 1926
Related to: Lots of people!
:)
Mostly Cambridgeshire, Huntingdonshire, some Kent and Dorset.

Elizabeth Long/Elizabeth Wilson/Elizabeth Long Wilson, b 1889 Caxton - where are you?
- -
Seeking: death year/location of Albert Edward Morgan, born Cambridge 1885/86 to Hannah & Edward Morgan of 33 Cambridge Place.
WW1 soldier, service number 8624, 2nd battalion, Highland Light Infantry.