Author Topic: Dredges Yard Newbury  (Read 8478 times)

Offline guyscraper

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Dredges Yard Newbury
« Reply #18 on: Thursday 25 June 15 18:15 BST (UK) »
Regards the building itself, the recessed positioning of the sash windows certainly indicates construction post 1774 as patterns generally followed the fashions of the London Building Act of that year.
My other significant clue is the hob grate in the back room on the second floor: The first variations of these grates appeared in the 1720s. By 1780, hob-grates had become hugely popular.  By 1810 the situation had changed markedly and new, heat efficient grates were prevalent.
So perhaps a window of construction between 1774 and 1810...

Offline newburychap

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Dredges Yard Newbury
« Reply #19 on: Thursday 25 June 15 20:12 BST (UK) »
This is fantastic information, thank you so much. Was there a point no. 2?

Sorry about that - my laptop crashed at exactly the wrong time. I was surprised and thankful to see that it posted what I had written.  I have now completed the post!

I am writing a Conservation Management Plan (as an academic exercise), do you mind if I reference you?
The building is in a rather poor state unfortunately, principally because it desperately needs reroofing, the usual story.
Thanks again.

Feel free to reference away!

I'd love a copy when you've finished if possible - I collect everything I can on any pub or ex-pub in Newbury.
Latest project - www.westberkshirewarmemorials.org.uk
Currently researching:<br /> Newbury pubs  & inns - the buildings, breweries and publican families.
Member of Newbury District Field Club - www.ndfc.org.uk