Author Topic: Kinkead obits - Ballykelly  (Read 6526 times)

Offline pkincaid

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Kinkead obits - Ballykelly
« on: Sunday 11 January 09 00:35 GMT (UK) »
Can anyone tell me if there is a means to get 19th century death notices for the Newtown Limavady area?  I am hope to learn more about the family of

James Kinkead (d. 19 May 1867) and his wife Sarah Kinkead (d. 21 April 1895).  She was formerly Sarah Thompson.  They were of Ballykeen/Ballykelly.  I believe that they are the grandparents of World War I ace Samuel Marcus Kinkead and hope their death notices will help prove this.

Thanks in advance!

Peter A. Kincaid

Kincaids (Kincade, Kinkaid, Kinkead, etc.) of Counties Londonderry and Tyrone.

Gardiners of Ramelton, County Donegal.

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Kinkead obits - Ballykelly
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 11 January 09 10:13 GMT (UK) »
Most 19th century death notices contain little detail.

Coleraine Chronicle, 25 May 1867: At his residence, Ballykeen, near Ballykelly, on the 19th inst., of inflammation of the lungs, Mr. James Kinkade, aged 42 years.

James Kinkead m.(1854 Co.Derry) to Sarah Thompson.

Son Alexander Thompson born 15 Nov.1864 Ballykelly district
Daughter Sarah Eliza born 25 Oct.1866 Ballykelly district
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline pkincaid

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 11 January 09 15:45 GMT (UK) »
Wow!  Can't believe you found a death notice so quickly.  Many thanks for this!

Some of the dates/ages might be creating a problem for me.  I wonder now if I got the wrong father.

The World War I ace, Samuel Marcus Kinkead, was the son of Samuel Kinkead and Helen Calder.  Samuel Sr. was from Ballycastle and migrated to South Africa in the 1880s.  Samuel Marcus Kinkead's elder brother was named Thompson Calder Kinkead.  The only Kinkeads in the vicinity of Ballycastle, Aghanloo Parish were the Kinkeads of the Ballykelly area.  I felt that Thompson Calder got his middle name from his mother's surname and his first name from his grandmother's surname.

Your note of the marriage in 1854 reminded me of the timeline and raises questions.  I have the marriage record:

On 24 August 1854, James Kinkead, a full age bachelor farmer of Ballykelly, Tamlaght Finlagan, son of James Kinkead, farmer, was married to Sarah Thompson, a full age spinster of Killennan, daughter of John Thompson, farmer at the Presbyterian Church in the Parish of Lower Cumber, County Londonderry according to the form and discipline of the Presbyterian Church by license by S. Smythe Alison.  The witnesses were James McCully and Sarah McCully [Ireland.  Civil Registrations of Marriages.  Londonderry, 1854, vol. 7, p. 363, no. 76; LDS film no. 101358].

I do not have a birth date for Samuel of Ballycastle but one source suggested the 1840s.  This would be before the marriage.

An alternative, would be that Samuel was not the son of James Kinkead of Ballykeen but the son of John Kinkead of nearby Broharris.  I have strong evidence that John was the brother of James Kinkead of Ballykeen.  I do not have the name of John's wife.  Perhaps she was a Thompson as well.  John of Broharris certainly had a son James (m. Mary Kerr) and likely also Matthew Kinkead (m. Martha Ann Wright) who later shows up hold the lands in Broharris.  Matthew died on 21 January 1915.  It is interesting to note that Matthew's oldest son was named Samuel John Kinkead.  All and all, an interesting puzzle.

Thanks again for the death notice tidbit.  Any suggestion would be appreciated.

Offline kingskerswell

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 11 January 09 16:10 GMT (UK) »
Hi,
   You mention Kinkeads in the townland of Ballycastle in the Parish of Aghanloo. I know this townland and have checked in Griffiths and found no Kinkeads, or variations, there. Are you sure that you do not mean the town of Ballycastle on the north coast of Co. Antrim.

Regards
Stewart, Irwin, Morrison, Haslett, Murrell - Dungiven area Co. Londonderry
Browne, Barrett -Co.Armagh
Neil, Smyth _Co. Antrim

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 11 January 09 16:20 GMT (UK) »
Thompson Calder Kinkead born 1893 Co.Derry and brother Samuel Marcus Kinkead born 1897 South Africa so family must have gone to S.A. 1893-1897. FindMyPast lists Infant Kinkead going to S.A. (Capetown) in 1894 from Southampton, Engand but not sure if this is Thompson.
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline pkincaid

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 11 January 09 18:01 GMT (UK) »
Thompson Calder joined up as a pilot during WWI but was killed in training.  He had no children.  Samuel Marcus Kinkead in addition to being a WWI ace went on to become more famous for breaking the world air speed records.  He was killed in an attempt to break the speed record.  This made international news as he was thought quite highly of.  His death was brought to the attention of Parliament for remembrance.  Samuel never married and had no children.  He had two sisters.  One sister's husband changed his name to Kinkead-Weekes.  One of their sons recorded to one researcher that the family was from Londonderry and to another researcher that Samuel Sr. was from Ballycastle.

I also have found no record of Kinkeads in Ballycastle in the Griffiths, census or tithe records.  It may be that Samuel resided there briefly post Griffiths prior to going to South Africa.  I have also pondered whether the grandson merged two of the townlands he heard his Kinkeads from - namely Ballykelly and Broglasco.  There were only three or four Kincaid families in County Londonderry in the early 1800s and the Ballykelly family seems to fit best the family of Samuel Kinkead of South Africa.

Thanks to aghadowey for pointing out Thompson Kinkead's birth.  I should try to obtain his birth record for place of birth.

Peter

Offline liverpool annie

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 22 June 09 05:02 BST (UK) »
You probably know all this already Peter ... but just in case !!  :)

The Church of All Saints - Fawley

There are many notable tombstones within the Churchyard and it is certainly worth spending some time wandering through the seven acres. On the south side of the Church lies a large granite cross marking the grave of Flight Lieutenant Kinkead, D.S.O., D.S.C., D.F.C., who died while attempting to break the world air speed record. Kinkead was at the time a member of the R.A.F. High Speed Flight competing for the Schneider Trophy.

Memorial to Flight Lieutenant
Samuel Marcus Kinkead
D.S.O D.F.C D.F.C
Who died on the 18th March 1928
While flying at Calshot. Gave
his life in an attempt to beat
the world's speed record

Name: Samuel Marcus Kinkead
Service: Royal Naval Air Service Royal Air Force
Units: 3 Wing (RNAS) 1 Naval (RNAS) 201 (RAF)
Victories: 33
Date Of Birth: February 25, 1897
Place of Birth: Johannesburg
Date Of Death: March 12, 1928
Place of Death: Calshot, Hampshire, England

Joining the Royal Naval Air Service in September of 1915, Kinkead was assigned to the Dardanelles with 3 Naval Wing in 1916. Here he scored his first three victories flying Nieuport and Bristol Scouts. In 1917, he saw action on the Somme and at Ypres while serving with 1 Naval Squadron. In April of 1918, this unit became 201 Squadron of the newly formed Royal Air Force. Flying the Sopwith Camel, Kinkead scored 24 victories and ended the war as 201 Squadron's highest scoring ace.

After the war, he served with 47 Squadron in Russia, scoring several more victories and receiving the Distinguished Service Order. In 1921, as a flight commander under Raymond Collishaw, Kinkead saw action with 30 Squadron in the Middle East. In 1928, as a member of the RAF Schneider Trophy team, Kinkead was killed in a crash as he attempted to break the world air speed record in a Supermarine S5.

In Memory of
Second Lieutenant T C KINKEAD

No 3 Training Sqdn., Royal Flying Corps
who died
on 03 September 1917

Remembered with honour
OLD SHOREHAM CEMETERY
Cooper : Muels : Howarth : Every : Price : King

http://web.archive.org/web/20130407030702/http://www.freewebs.com/liverpoolannie

http://web.archive.org/web/20130407191115/http://manchestersoldiers.webs.com

http://web.archive.org/web/20130807102055/http://www.powv.webs.com/
Be who you are and say what you feel -  because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind ! Dr. Seuss

Erect no gravestone .... let the Rose every year bloom for his sake ! Rilke Sonnets to Orpheus, I

Offline pkincaid

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 12 February 10 22:14 GMT (UK) »
I can confirm that World War I ace Samuel Marcus Kinkead's brother Thompson Calder Kinkead was born in Ballykeen, Tamlaght Finlagan Parish, County Londonderry, Ireland on 31 August 1893.  He was noted as the son of Samuel Kinkead, General Merchant, and Helen Calder.  Thompson Calder Kinkead was also a pilot killed in a training exercise during World War I.

Clearly the pilots' father, Samuel Kinkead, was the son of James Kinkead and Sarah Thompson of Ballykeen.  Samuel's grandfather was James Kinkead of Ballykelly who died there in 1836.

Thus, Ballykelly has two aviation pioneers to add to its legacy.

Offline pkincaid

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 16 August 16 17:15 BST (UK) »
While confusion existed over the birthplace of WWI ace and airplane speed hero, Samuel Marcus Kinkead, it has been established, contrary to the wikipedia article on him, that Samuel was born in Ballykeen townland, Ballykelly, county Londonderry.  Since the previous posts here, Julian Lewis, has published a thorough and excellent biographical book on him.  It is titled "Racing Ace: The fights and flights of Samuel 'Kink' Kinkead DSO DSC* DFC*" (Pen & Sword Aviation, 2011).  His death was a big international news event of that time and he was greatly admired for his efforts.

The following is part of an article explaining his birth and heritage that appeared in Northern Ireland newspapers at the time of his death.

Kinkead a Derryman.// The father of Flight-Lieut. S. M. Kinkead was at one time manager of the business establishment at the junction of Orchard Street and Bridge Street of Messrs. M'Cully & Thompson.  He married a Scotchwoman, and emigrated to South Africa, where he had a prosperous career.  In 1897 he and his wife paid a visit to this country from Johannesburg, and during their stay at Ballykeen, Ballykelly, the heroic young air officer was born.//  The ivy covered cottage in which he first saw the light is now occupied by Mr. James Moore.//  In the early stages of the war he was a flying officer with the British main fleet, under Admiral Jellico.  When the fleet was in Lough Swilly, Lieut. Kinkead took occasion to visit Derry, and called upon his cousin, Mr. Alex. Thompson at Waterside.//  Dead Airman's Funeral.//  Flight-Lieutenant Kinkead will be buried with full honours in Fawloy Churchyard two miles from Calshot, to-day.//  Futher attempts to be made.//  It is learned that the British Air Ministry intend to continue their attempts to break the world's air speed record now held by Italy. [Derry Journal, Londonderry, Northern Ireland.  Friday, 16 March 1928, page 7, column 5].

A Melancholy Coincidence.  Death Coincides with Church Centenary.  The information that Flight-Lieutenant Kinkead was born in County Derry was given to the "Northern Whig" yesterday by Mr. S. M. Robinson, who lived in South Africa for a number of years, and is presently residing at Downshire House, Maxwell Road, Bangor.  Mr. Robinson is a son of the late Rev. William C. Robinson, M.A., who was minister of Ballykelly Presbyterian Church from 1862-1905.//  Mr. Robinson remarked on the melancholy coincidence that the news of Flight-Lieut. Kinkead's death synchronised with the publication in the "Whig" yesterday of a special article on the centenary of Ballykelly Presbyterian Church and of pictures of the church, one of which showed the tablet erected to the memory of Mr. Robinson's father.//  Mr. Robinson, in the course of his conversation with a "Whig" representative, stated that Lieutenant Kinkead's ancestors on his paternal side were County Derry men.  He was born in the house of his grandfather at Ballykeen (where his father was also born) and was baptised by Mr. Robinson's father.//  During his long residence in South Africa Mr. Robison was well acquainted with the Kinkead family.  He knew the galland airman whose death is so much regretted in his early boyhood, and stated that he was always affectionately known as "Babs," even until the time when he joined the flying service during the war.  He described Flight-Lieutenant Kinkead as always being a very calm lad, exceedingly plucky, and as hard as nails.//  Flight-Lieutenant Kinkead's elder brother also joined the Air Force, but was killed while training in England preparatory to going on foreign service.  His two sisters are alive, but his father died about 15 years ago.  His mother was a Scotswoman.//  It is worthy of note that Mr. Robinson's brother, the Rev. Aston Robinson, B.A., Carnlough, is the special preacher at the continued centenary services in Ballykelly Church next Sunday.[The Northern Whig and Belfast Post, Belfast, Northern Ireland.  Wednesday, 14 March 1928, page 7, column 3].