Author Topic: Grocers Shop in Broxburn  (Read 31394 times)

Offline Wilton Endeavour

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Grocers Shop in Broxburn
« on: Sunday 11 January 09 21:12 GMT (UK) »
I'm looking to see if anyone can provide the name or location of the Grocery shop that one of my ancestors used to have in Broxburn. The shop was owned by Frederick Willetts Davies. He was born in Kirknewton in 1897. He died in Uphall, West Lothian in 1968. I'm not sure of when he had the shop, but if anyone can provide any information, it would be appreciated.
His Father was Elijah Davies who was born in England in 1853 and he worked as an Oil Works Labourer. His Mother was Elizabeth Mowbray who was born in Colinton, Edinburgh in 1857. They stayed at 22 Oakbank, Kirknewton in the 1901 Census.   
Snadon Clackmannan/Alloa, Sim/Syme Kilsyth, Davies Kirknewton, Mowbray Colinton/Kirknewton, Shaw Kilsyth, Allan Lasswade/Penicuik, Mullin Waterford, Kirkwood Kilsyth, Laird Denny, Haggart Blackfriars Lanarkshire, Bell Dalmeny, Willets Worcestershire, Cleland Kilsyth.

Offline jean jeanie

• RootsChat Member
  • Stewart Family
    • View Profile
Re: Grocers Shop in Broxburn
« Reply #1 on: Monday 12 January 09 11:55 GMT (UK) »
Hi

I lived in Broxburn from 1961-1967.

I'm pretty sure the shop was called F.W. Davies and I think it was a fruit and veg shop.

Memory tells me that there were 2 shops. One on Main Street and one on Greendykes Road.

But it was a long time ago and I cannot be absolutely certain.

I'll ask my brother tonight. He may remember better than I can

Best wishes
Jean

Offline jean jeanie

• RootsChat Member
  • Stewart Family
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 13 January 09 11:35 GMT (UK) »
A little update. My brother agrees there was definitely a shop on Greendykes road and it was a fruit and veg shop. He remembers buying "chipped" fruit there before going to the cinema across the road!

As for another shop on the Main St., he is not sure. However an old neighbour of his who is in her 80's knows a lot about Broxburn and he will pick her brains for any more info for you.

Best wishes
Jean

Offline Wilton Endeavour

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 13 January 09 12:32 GMT (UK) »
Hello Jean,
Thanks for the reply. I will leave the topic open just now. My Mum remembers the shop selling sweets. I'm not sure if there were two shops. She can only remember one.
yours
derek
Snadon Clackmannan/Alloa, Sim/Syme Kilsyth, Davies Kirknewton, Mowbray Colinton/Kirknewton, Shaw Kilsyth, Allan Lasswade/Penicuik, Mullin Waterford, Kirkwood Kilsyth, Laird Denny, Haggart Blackfriars Lanarkshire, Bell Dalmeny, Willets Worcestershire, Cleland Kilsyth.

Offline jean jeanie

• RootsChat Member
  • Stewart Family
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 13 January 09 18:49 GMT (UK) »
Hi Derek

My memory wasn't as bad as I thought!!!

Confirmed by 2 old ladies who still live there. Definitely 2 shops. One in Greendykes Road and one on Main Street.

The one on Main Street was opposite the old SMT Bus Station.

The one in Greendykes Road was opposite the old Regal Cinema.

If you go to http://www.uphall.org/ you can see old photos of Broxburn.

Best wishes
Jean

Offline jean jeanie

• RootsChat Member
  • Stewart Family
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 15 January 09 19:32 GMT (UK) »
A bit more info!

The shop in Greendykes Road also sold sweets. The shop on the Main Street was run by Fred's sister and this one also sold flowers!

Best wishes
Jean

Offline Wilton Endeavour

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 21 January 09 20:03 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for that additional info on the two shops Jean. Much appreciated. I managed to get a copy of the Broxburn and Uphall book as I thought there might have been a photo in it. There were a few grocery shops in Broxburn around the 1920's. I will leave the thread open just now incase anyone else can add anything to the thread.
yours
derek

Offline Wilton Endeavour

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 21 January 09 22:39 GMT (UK) »
Jean,
Just to add that Fred's Sister would be Maria Davies who was born in Kirknewton in 1890. Maria died in Edinburgh in 1952 age 62. Maria married a railway porter, James Kidd Welsh in 1909. It would be good if someone on the forum came up with a photograph of one of the shops.
derek

Offline jean jeanie

• RootsChat Member
  • Stewart Family
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 21 January 09 23:02 GMT (UK) »
Hi Derek

Why don't you contact the webmaster of the Uphall website and ask him if he can ask his contacts about the shops. Maybe someone there can help out with more info or even a photo.

Best wishes
Jean