Author Topic: Grocers Shop in Broxburn  (Read 31395 times)

Offline alisonw939

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Grocers Shop in Broxburn
« Reply #18 on: Sunday 08 August 10 18:08 BST (UK) »
Hi Derek.  There were two shops after Fred married Esther.   She worked with him in the main street shop until it closed.  Thereafter, they both worked in the Greendykes Road shop.   The employees of the main street shop were Betty Wilson and Margaret Simpson and Lizzie ("sister") Margaret Tweedhope and Nettie Coulter (all now deceased)  in the greendykes road shop until it closed - definitely in mid 80s  I worked nearby at that time and was in it most days!   

Offline Wilton Endeavour

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Monday 09 August 10 12:36 BST (UK) »
Thanks Alison and Carol for those replies. Just trying to piece together dates and things of his lifestyle. Wondering if perhaps he is buried in the area, it might be a good idea to go there someday and look for the original cottage and perhaps a headstone in the local cemetery.

yours

derek
Snadon Clackmannan/Alloa, Sim/Syme Kilsyth, Davies Kirknewton, Mowbray Colinton/Kirknewton, Shaw Kilsyth, Allan Lasswade/Penicuik, Mullin Waterford, Kirkwood Kilsyth, Laird Denny, Haggart Blackfriars Lanarkshire, Bell Dalmeny, Willets Worcestershire, Cleland Kilsyth.

Offline SearchingHistory

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Monday 09 August 10 17:03 BST (UK) »
Hi Derek. There were two shops after Fred married Esther. She worked with him in the main street shop until it closed. Thereafter, they both worked in the Greendykes Road shop. The employees of the main street shop were Betty Wilson and Margaret Simpson and Lizzie ("sister") Margaret Tweedhope and Nettie Coulter (all now deceased) in the greendykes road shop until it closed - definitely in mid 80s I worked nearby at that time and was in it most days!

Do you have any additional information on the Tweedhope family that you could share with me?  My greatgrandfather was a Tweedhope and I am having difficulty tracing his family as Tweedhope seems to be a very unique name.  My great grandfather was Alexander Lees Tweedhope born illigitimately on 22 November 1892 in St Boswells, Roxburgshire, Scotland to Mary Tweedhope (born 1864).  Mary's parents were Christina Lees and Andrew Tweedhope.

Offline carscot

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Monday 09 August 10 22:23 BST (UK) »
Hi,
The owners of the shop were my aunt and uncle. Margaret Tweedhope was the wife of Nicholas Tweedhope and had two daughters Christine and Lorraine. Her maiden name was Sutherland I believe. As far as I know Nicholas Tweedhope was born in Broxburn as he was one of my father's long term friends from school days. He is still alive an dliving somewhere in Broxburn though he must be in his 80's now.
Regards
Carol

Offline SearchingHistory

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Saturday 14 August 10 00:24 BST (UK) »
Thanks Carol!

I appreciate all the information I can get about this family!
Regards,
Megan

Offline Wilton Endeavour

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Monday 16 July 12 17:41 BST (UK) »
Frederick Willetts Davies and Mary Purves had a son called Frederick Elijah Davies. I've just did a search on Scotland's People and it came up with two marriages for Fred Davies junior. His first marriage was to Williamina McHa Meek. Her middle name only lists four letters. So i'm not sure what her full middle name is? But he married Williamina in 1945 in Uphall, West Lothian. His second marriage was in 1970 in Uphall, West Lothian to Esther Bell Watson.

Wilton Endeavour
Snadon Clackmannan/Alloa, Sim/Syme Kilsyth, Davies Kirknewton, Mowbray Colinton/Kirknewton, Shaw Kilsyth, Allan Lasswade/Penicuik, Mullin Waterford, Kirkwood Kilsyth, Laird Denny, Haggart Blackfriars Lanarkshire, Bell Dalmeny, Willets Worcestershire, Cleland Kilsyth.

Offline Wilton Endeavour

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Wednesday 06 November 13 21:21 GMT (UK) »
Williamina was born in 1922 in Dalry and Gorgie. Frederick Elijah Davies died in 1984, age 62, at George Square, Edinburgh.

Wilton Endeavour

Offline osprey28

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Wednesday 13 November 13 22:44 GMT (UK) »
I had an old aunt who lived all her life in Broxburn - passed away a few years ago, I recollect her saying that her father had a grocer / fruit shop in Broxburn.  Her maiden name was Mulvenna - does anyone have any info about the shop and where it was. 

Thanks

Osprey
Allan / Gordon / Aitken / Milne / Grant / Burnett in Aberdeenshire.  Allan / Alexander / McGowan in West Lothian / Davidson in Fife / Dempster in Lanarkshire / Allan / Burnett USA & Canada

Offline Wilton Endeavour

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Wednesday 21 January 15 20:59 GMT (UK) »
The wife of Frederick Elijah Davies 1921-1984 was called Williamina McHardy Johnson Meek. Williamina was born 23rd April 1922 in Gorgie, Midlothian and died on 26th March 1969 in Broxburn. Age 46.