Author Topic: Grocers Shop in Broxburn  (Read 31393 times)

Offline Wilton Endeavour

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Grocers Shop in Broxburn
« Reply #27 on: Friday 10 April 15 20:02 BST (UK) »
I'm just wondering if Frederick's brother, John worked in either of the two shops at one point.
When John Davies married Alice Pilmer in Edinburgh in 1915, his occupation was Confectioner.
When Alice or Alison Naismith Pilmer died in 1934, her husband, John, had the occupation of Confectioner. When John died in 1944 in Glasgow, his occupation was listed as a Herbalist.
Now it is possible in 10 years, that he changed his occupation.
When John's wife died in 1972, Helen Isabella Bisset Cheyne, She was listed as a widow of John Davies, Herbalist.
Fred Davies was a coalminer back in 1921 when he married Mary Purvis at West Calder before he bought the sweet shops. 
Snadon Clackmannan/Alloa, Sim/Syme Kilsyth, Davies Kirknewton, Mowbray Colinton/Kirknewton, Shaw Kilsyth, Allan Lasswade/Penicuik, Mullin Waterford, Kirkwood Kilsyth, Laird Denny, Haggart Blackfriars Lanarkshire, Bell Dalmeny, Willets Worcestershire, Cleland Kilsyth.

Offline campbell_j_w

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Tuesday 22 September 15 17:26 BST (UK) »
Another query about an earlier grocer in Broxburn. In my research of Armstrong families originating from the St Ninians Parish, I have come across an Adam Armstrong who was a grocer living in Broxburn at the time of his marriage in 1929. His address is given as 'Ross Terrace'. I wonder if anyone knows where about Ross Terrace used to be in Broxburn as it does not seem to be present in current maps?

Offline mosstrooper

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Tuesday 22 September 15 23:52 BST (UK) »
According to Uphall on the Web, Ross Walk was named after a local Grocer Alexander Ross.
I will look for the location.

James.

Offline campbell_j_w

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Wednesday 23 September 15 16:36 BST (UK) »
Thanks very much for that. I have found that Ross' Walk was off the B8046 near Thomson Court. It seems that Alexander Ross was a grocer around the period that I referred to. The entry in the marriage register does however say 'Ross Terrace, Broxburn' and I have now found a couple more references to that in Post Office Directories.
These read (1926-1927): Young, James W., painter and decorator, Greendykes Road; house Ross Terrace
and (1932-1933): Archibald A. H., East Main Street; house Ross Terrace, West End
This perhaps suggests that Ross Terrace was close to the two business locations mentioned.

Offline mosstrooper

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Wednesday 23 September 15 21:10 BST (UK) »
Broxburn is only a couple of miles from me, I can have a look and take a photo if I find anything
meanwhile if you have not already done so, have a look at the Old Broxburn here ---
http://www.scottishshale.co.uk/GazVillages/BroxburnOverviewVillage.html

My reading of the P.O. Directory's is a bit different, I read Young, James Greendykes Road as the business address and ; his house is on Ross Terrace.
 And Archibauld AH - East Main St. which is East of Greendykes and his home is on Ross Terrace, West End.

Also the B8046 is in Uphall not Broxburn and Broxburn West End is next to Uphall
So I might be looking at Uphall  - Broxburn West End not Greendykes Road.

James.

Getting closer -- Aberdeen Man Wed at Broxburn

was married the 3.5. John Cantius and Nicholas Church, Broxburn, yesterday to Miss Winifred Higgins,
daughter of Mrs A. Higgins and the late Mr Murtaugn Higgins, 80 Ross Terrace, Broxburn.
Mr M'Hugh is the son of Mr and Mrs P- J- M'Hugh, 52 Claremont Street

Offline 20dominay14

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Thursday 24 September 15 13:50 BST (UK) »
Re Ross Terrace address.There is a ross terrace in uphall in alexander street ,I lived there until i was married, it was built in 1912. The other ross terrace is opposite the new fire station in broxburn. I assume both properties were built or financed by the same person.They are both similar in style and refer to a block rather than a single house. As regards to fred davies ,he had a house built in around 1958/9 at the east end of broxburn just past the entrance to aitken orr drive. The  house is still occupied and is very  much the same as he would have known it  the first three houses (private) were built by the local builder D.B.Lamb who had premises at kirkhill park .One was for fred davies one for miss hunter schoolteacher and the other for mr black who had a ironmongers shop on brox. main street..

Offline campbell_j_w

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Thursday 24 September 15 17:40 BST (UK) »
Thanks very much for those details about Ross Terrace. I have been able to 'visit' them on Google Streetview and see the name inscribed in the stonework of both the Uphall and Broxburn 'Ross Terraces'. I very much appreciate all the replies that have been made and of course it is very pleasing to have found an answer to my query.
Regards, John (Campbell)

Offline Wilton Endeavour

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Wednesday 21 October 15 21:33 BST (UK) »
Hello Dominay, I have sent you a personal message to find out the exact position of Fred's bungalow.
Yours, Wilton Endeavour.
Snadon Clackmannan/Alloa, Sim/Syme Kilsyth, Davies Kirknewton, Mowbray Colinton/Kirknewton, Shaw Kilsyth, Allan Lasswade/Penicuik, Mullin Waterford, Kirkwood Kilsyth, Laird Denny, Haggart Blackfriars Lanarkshire, Bell Dalmeny, Willets Worcestershire, Cleland Kilsyth.

Offline 20dominay14

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: Saturday 24 October 15 18:06 BST (UK) »
re Fred Davies property.. I can now confirm the house built for fred was that at 131 East main street Broxburn. It was the first of three built by D.B..Lamb and is situated directly opposite the entrance to what used to be the Bruce Peebles factory.Confirmation came by meeting two tradesmen who worked on the houses who both readily agreed that the first was Fred's .regards