Author Topic: Grocers Shop in Broxburn  (Read 31409 times)

Offline Wilton Endeavour

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Grocers Shop in Broxburn
« Reply #9 on: Sunday 25 January 09 17:51 GMT (UK) »
Jean,

I posted a message to the webmaster at the Uphall website. Nothing heard back so far. Also contacted Broxburn library. They gave me a phone number for the local history department of the Council. Will try that.

derek
Snadon Clackmannan/Alloa, Sim/Syme Kilsyth, Davies Kirknewton, Mowbray Colinton/Kirknewton, Shaw Kilsyth, Allan Lasswade/Penicuik, Mullin Waterford, Kirkwood Kilsyth, Laird Denny, Haggart Blackfriars Lanarkshire, Bell Dalmeny, Willets Worcestershire, Cleland Kilsyth.

Offline Wilton Endeavour

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Saturday 07 February 09 18:48 GMT (UK) »
The first shop was located at 99 East Main Street, Broxburn. It was a confectionery shop and it was opened before 1930.
Frederick Davies was the owner of the combined shop and also house property. By 1938 Frank Davies was the tenant who ran the shop. Then by 1939, the shop was empty. In 1940, the property was converted to just a house without a shop where it was occupied now by a miner.
The fruiter and confectioner shop at 29 Greendykes Road, Broxburn opened in 1936. This shop was still around by 1942 with Frederick Davies the tenant. 
derek
Snadon Clackmannan/Alloa, Sim/Syme Kilsyth, Davies Kirknewton, Mowbray Colinton/Kirknewton, Shaw Kilsyth, Allan Lasswade/Penicuik, Mullin Waterford, Kirkwood Kilsyth, Laird Denny, Haggart Blackfriars Lanarkshire, Bell Dalmeny, Willets Worcestershire, Cleland Kilsyth.

Offline Wilton Endeavour

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Saturday 06 June 09 19:02 BST (UK) »
Until 1964, Frederick Davies Senior ran both shops.
By 1965, Frederick Davies junior was running the shop at 29 Greendykes Road in Broxburn. The shop was still ran by him  in 1975.
Frederick Davies Senior was still in the shop at 75 East Main Street in Broxburn until 1969. Then by 1970, the shop was owned by the Edinburgh Savings Bank. In 1971, this shop in East Main Street was re-constructed into premises for the Edinburgh Savings Bank. They were still in operation here by 1975.

yours
Wilton Endeavour

Offline alisonw939

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Monday 26 July 10 09:00 BST (UK) »
Hi  Ive just seen your threads.  Im Broxburn born and bred.  I was brought up living near Fred jnr. I also remember his father and mother.  His mother lived to a great age and was still working in the east main street shop well into her  70s.   The shop in greendykes road during the 1960s and 70s was run by Fred's "sister" Lizzie who was adopted.   Fred jnr ran the other shop at 75 E Main street with his wife Minnie until her death in the 60s and latterly with his second wife, Esther Watson, until they retired around 1970.   I knew the family well and also the people who worked in the shop, one of whom was my aunt.   Fred jnr has a son but at the moment i am unable to recall his christian name. (james I think)  I havent seen him for years so dont know if he lives locally.   Both shops sold fruit and veg, a small amount of groceries and a large selection of sweets and chocolates. (where most of my pocket money went !!)   The house that  the davies snr family lived in is a 1950s bungalow in east main street and still there.   If i recall any other information will keep you posted.   

Offline Wilton Endeavour

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Monday 26 July 10 17:33 BST (UK) »
that's great news Alison. It would be good if I got a pic of the original house as I can't find any photos of the shops.

thanks

Wilton Endeavour

Offline Wilton Endeavour

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Saturday 07 August 10 19:50 BST (UK) »
Frederick Elijah Davies was born in Leith South, Edinburgh in 1921.
I wonder if Alisonw939 or anyone else has details of Fred's marriage to his wife Minnie whose surname is not known. Or perhaps his second marriage to Esther Watson. Minnie died in the 1960's and Fred was still working in the East Main Street shop with Esther until they retired around 1970. Any help would be appreciated as i'm trying to research them.

Wilton Endeavour

Offline alisonw939

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Sunday 08 August 10 10:39 BST (UK) »
Hi  Wilton     Minnnie's name was McLeary. Would think they were married locally in about 1950/51.  So far as I know she was from Broxburn.   Esther and Fred were married about 1968 in broxburn.   Her maiden name was Esther Moore.  She was a widow.  Her husband had been an invalid many years prior to his death .    They lived in Broxburn after their marriage until about 1985 when they moved to Uphall.    Fred died about 10 years ago and Esther about 5  or 6 years ago.     I recall that Lizzie (sorry at this moment cant remember her surname), Fred's adopted sister was a relative of his mother; perhaps a niece.   Depends which side of the family you are interested in whether this is of any significance.     My father tells me that in the 1950s 60s and early 70s Fred had a job in Edinburgh and only helped out in the shop evenings and weekends until his mum gave up and he took over full time.   My mother had confectioners shop in broxburn in 1930s and she said both Davies shop and hers stayed open til 10 on saturdays for people goin to the two cinemas in the town centre    In those days there were queues to get in and patrons bought their own sweets to take in with them !

Offline Wilton Endeavour

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Sunday 08 August 10 12:11 BST (UK) »
Thanks Alison,
I have sent you a personal message giving more details of the family background. I am gathering as much info as I can on the marriages, etc as they are on my mum's side of the family tree.
I have also had correspondence before on this thread about people remembering on buying sweets before they went to the local cinema. So it's all the more interesting about who worked in the shops. So any info you can provide is of great significance to me.

yours

Wilton Endeavour

Offline carscot

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Sunday 08 August 10 16:25 BST (UK) »
Hi Derek,
The lady is right about the sweets being sold in Greendykes Road shop though not correct about the Main Street one being run by his sister. The Main Street one was run by his wife Minnie and I think it may have closed after her death as he only had the one shop when he married my aunt Esther. She is also correct about both selling fruit and veg and the Main Street shop selling flowers.
Carol