Author Topic: LOVETT/DAVIS  (Read 8741 times)

Offline lainey

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: LOVETT/DAVIS
« Reply #9 on: Thursday 10 February 05 15:26 GMT (UK) »
I understand what you are saying but in 1891 James Lovett (widow) is living with his grandchildren.  I know when maud married in 1897 that her father James was already deceased.  There is a James Lovett married to an Amelia and a James Lovett married to an Elizabeth.  Am I going mad or reading it wrong - this research can blow your mind   :P
Cole, Lawrence, Sturgess, Terry, Wareham, Broomfield, Taylor, Lovett, Davis, Brindley

Offline casalguidi

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Thursday 10 February 05 17:15 GMT (UK) »
Right - these are the James LOVETTs:

1891 - 8 Garden Court - grandad (wife Elizabeth deceased)
1881 - Stocker's Buildings - dad (wife Amelia)
1871 - 4 Garden Court - dad (wife Amelia)
1871 - 8 Garden Court - grandad (wife Elizabeth)

I didn't look for Maud's grandad in the 1881 census but undoubtedly he will be living at 8 Garden Court because that's where he was in 1871 and 1891.

I wasn't talking about the grandad when I said about the ages/birthplaces being muddled. When I posted the 1871 census for 4 Garden Court, I said that these are obviously the same family as the one in the 1881 census which I had posted.  I never posted the grandad in 1881 did I?

It is these two following entries that relate to exactly the same people yet the ages and birthplaces don't tally ie if James (maud's dad) was 30 in 1871 then he should be 40 in 1881 or vice versa and the same for Amelia (Maud's mum) - if she was 35 in 1871 then she should be 45 in 1881 not 39!  Do you know see what I mean?

1871 census

4 Garden Court, Clewer

James Cokeley LOVETT head mar 30 cordwainer b.London Middlesex
Amelia wife 35 b.Eton Bucks
James son 3 b.Windsor
Kate dau 1 b.Windsor

RG10/1301 folio 35 page 13

1881 census

Stocker's Buildings, Clewer

James LOVETT head mar 49 shoemaker b.South Wales
Amelia wife 39 b.London
James son 13 b.Windsor
Kate dau 12 b.Windsor
William son 4 b.Windsor
Maud dau 3 b.Windsor

Rg11/1324 folio 54 page 12

Do you understand now?

Casalguidi
Census information is Crown Copyright http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Little Nell

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Thursday 10 February 05 20:43 GMT (UK) »
This is getting interesting, lainey,

I have found where the Tapestries Cottages were and how they came by their name.  Use this link:

http://www.thamesweb.co.uk/windsor/windsorhistory/rwtm/rwtm_intro.html

There is a picture of Tapestry Hall - which is still there if I remember correctly.  I just didn't know its name before.  It is located in Old Windsor, to the east of the Castle and town.  I don't know if the cottages are still there but by a different name.

Nell
All census information: Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline lainey

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Friday 11 February 05 09:04 GMT (UK) »
Thank you both again for the info.  I understand the discrepancies now - you must excuse me I came out of hospital 2 days ago so I think the anesthetic must be still working on my brain.  Thanks Nell for the info on the Tapestry Works very interesting.  I have had another look at the wedding certificate and it does read Tapestry WORKS, Old Windsor
Cole, Lawrence, Sturgess, Terry, Wareham, Broomfield, Taylor, Lovett, Davis, Brindley