Author Topic: Pettigrove/Frost/Lee/Rossiter/Hills  (Read 45160 times)

Offline rebekahm28

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Pettigrove/Frost/Lee/Rossiter/Hills
« Reply #72 on: Saturday 22 September 12 22:32 BST (UK) »
I have 3 Martha Pettigroves. One is the daughter of Charles Frost.  One the daughter of Richard Pettigrove and Mary Ann Lee. And the other is the daug of John and Druscilla Pettigrove.   < This Martha has siblings Edward, Florence and John. In 1911 they were in a wagon in Sidcup, Kent. They actually had 6 kids, but 2 had died by 1911. 
Casaubon (Geneva, London), Daulinge, Berners, McMullen (Nottingham), Tabb (Leics), Mycock (Derbys & Staffs), Gilbert (Notts), Price (s Wales), Krilovs/similar, gypsy Roberts, gypsy Clark, Bexell (Sussex), gypsy Elliott, Raven, Neligan (Co Kerry), Rymer, Newton (Hull).

Offline Jojopaz

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: Saturday 22 September 12 22:54 BST (UK) »
Yes this is the one   ;D

Offline rebekahm28

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: Sunday 23 September 12 11:10 BST (UK) »
The Martha I have the photo of is Pollys daughter(Mary Ann), and the Price girls are direct descendents of her, so sorry to disappoint you. I havent got anything else on Druscilla's Martha and I havent got anything on her siblings or mother either....although plenty on her father up until 1911.  Do you think maybe they emigrated? Or he died, she remarried and the kids changed their name?  Really sorry to disappoint you.
Casaubon (Geneva, London), Daulinge, Berners, McMullen (Nottingham), Tabb (Leics), Mycock (Derbys & Staffs), Gilbert (Notts), Price (s Wales), Krilovs/similar, gypsy Roberts, gypsy Clark, Bexell (Sussex), gypsy Elliott, Raven, Neligan (Co Kerry), Rymer, Newton (Hull).

Offline Runner12

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #75 on: Saturday 01 December 12 00:02 GMT (UK) »
Hi,

I see u mention Mariah n Jacob (coco) Rossiter, I'm tryin to find some more info out about the family as I'm puttin a family tree together I already  have some info bout the family like james pettigroves fun fair an have several pictures of Mariah + Jacob an there children jim daisy charlie Alfie flossy. I would b very grateful for any info u could all help me with as I've been doin this now for some time but slowly gettin there 
 Thanks

Offline Faversham

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: Monday 17 December 12 01:32 GMT (UK) »
It's nice 2 c my little Nan & grandads name (Drusilla & Len sudds) being talked about. I'm her oldest great grandson, my nan is pat shepherd (sudds) never quite realised how big the family is. I also c my cousins name mentioned on here, little Lenny sudds. I had the privallige of knowing my nanny dru up untill my 20's never really realised or talked about her past and upbringing with her. Ive seen pics and that now which my nan pat has. She talks about aunt page and others, I'm still confused who r who and how there related but I'm learning. it's nice 2 here about the family. If I can help in anyway then let me know. Leon

Offline Spursbird

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: Thursday 07 March 13 22:32 GMT (UK) »
wow, amazing to find someone that knows of her... is it definitely Martha, daughter of Drusilla (nee Camfield) and John Pettigrove rather than Martha, daughter of Polly (nee Lee) and Richard Pettigrove?   Do you know much about her?

John Frost aka Pettigrove. Do you know where they lived? I dont know much about my GDads uncles but I did know one had an accident with a showmans engine and a man was killed. Another may have had an arcade in E Sx.  The name of Drusilla was not in the family until my GDads sister was called that and I didnt know where the name came from, must have been from their sister in law Drusilla Camfield.  Martha my GDads sister was Martha Clubb. Do you know who the other Martha married? What years dd you know the? Any photographs? Kind regards. Rita
Pettigrove. - any area and country.
Lee. Gypsy - Kent area .
Yelding.Hornby.Frost. Fossett,Travelling showmen and circus connections.
Adams.Tomlin.Penfold.Rossiter. Baker.Keefe.Allen my Kent connections.
Baker - Canterbury
Tanner. Eastbourne and  Horsham area.
Rout . Brighton

Whitehead- Burnley Lancs.

Offline rebekahm28

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: Sunday 14 April 13 00:13 BST (UK) »
I can give info about Mariah, private message me.

Offline PeteYelding

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: Thursday 14 July 16 20:35 BST (UK) »
Hi

Charles Frost's father, so Charlotte Yelding's first husband was also called Charles Frost. His father, so grandfather of Charles Frost jnr (Pettigrove) was John Frost.

I'm a descendent of Thomas Yelding 1795-1879 and Ann Chapman(we think) 1800-1891
My line is John Yelding and Martha Fossett. John Yelding was your Charlotte Yelding's sister.

Hope you get this

Pete

Offline PeteYelding

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: Sunday 14 April 19 11:29 BST (UK) »
Hi Rita, this is 10 years later so might not be seen, but was wanting to ask about any knowledge you have on the Lees in relation to Yeldings?

I'm descended from Thomas Yelding and Ann Chapman (parents of Charlotte Frost then Pettigrove). Thomas was a travelling musician/artist and down in one census as "Marine Store Dealer". But we know that he gave his Grandson, famous puppeteer Thomas Holden, his prized Marionette, so we think that 'Marine store' is more likely to be something to do with Marionettes.

His wife Ann Chapman is down in censuses as 'Hawker' and Travellers wife. She is daughter to a William Chapman and Susannah Hill.

On the 1851, once he and Ann have settled, they have staying with them an Ann Lee aged 16, described as niece. Do you think it will be the Yeldings or the Chapmans that this Ann Lee is connected to?

I think there might be connection between Ann Chapman and Ellen Chapman, born a generation later whose brother married one of the Fossetts in my family. Ellen and her brother William were born to Henry Chapman and Harriet Hill. Henry Chapman would've been the same generation as Ann Chapman, and married Hill, Ann Chapmans mother's name. I wonder if this fits in with Lees in any way too?

I can't get back any further on Thomas Yelding (1795), but I have a feeling that my line of Yeldings were travellers before they became showmen. This would be supported by who Thomas married and by other families we were connected to (Gill, Manley, Redman, Mayo, Chapman), as well as the circus families (Fossett, Holden, Ginnett), but I can't find this Ann Lee niece connection any where.

Do you have any thoughts?

Thank you in hope that you see :)

Pettigrove

Druscilla Pettigrove was the last child of Richard Pettigrove and Polly aka( MaryAnn) ne: Lee.

Richard was the son of Charles Pettigrove  aka Frost and Maria Hornby

Charles the son of Richard Pettigrove and Charlotte Yelding
sister to Emma Fosset was mother to Sir Robert Fossett - also have Yelding and Lee details on request.

Druscilla Pettigrove  was the sister to my Grandad George Pettigrove

Children and Parents in 1911 census:

PETTIGROVE, RICHARD HEAD MARRIED  M 40 SHOWMAN BEXLEY KENT     
PETTIGROVE, POLLY WIFE MARRIED 19 F 38  ASHFORD KENT     
PETTIGROVE, POLLY DAUGHTER SINGLE  F 17  CANTERBURY KENT     
PETTIGROVE, EMILY DAUGHTER SINGLE  F 15  DOVER KENT     
PETTIGROVE, MARIA DAUGHTER SINGLE  F 13  CANTERBURY KENT     
PETTIGROVE, MATHA DAUGHTER SINGLE  F 11  CHALLOCK KENT     
PETTIGROVE, GEORGE SON SINGLE  M 14  FAVERSHAM KENT     
PETTIGROVE, CHARLES SON SINGLE  M 5  RUCKINGE KENT     
PETTIGROVE RICHARD Address CARAVAN MEADOW FAVERSHAM County Kent
District Faversham Subdistrict Faversham

I also have the census returns back to 1841 for the Lee and Pettigrove family - the Pettigrove family being missing from 1901 census
There are another six children to the family of Richard and Polly:

Polly married name was  George
Emily married name Turner died 1956
George - my gdad
Maria - - Married to Jacob Rossiter
Martha *married to Henry Clubb - died aged 21/2 
Patience - married name Hills
Richard- married to Louisa died 1981
Sally - married to Beaney
Charles * died aged 22 Woodchurch Kent  * B@ Aylesford
Louise - married to Miles
Nora-married to Penfold 
Drusilla-married to Sudds

This listing was first given to me by Aunt Drusilla herself in 1990 when I was first tracing the family.

Apart from the Turner/Clubb/Miles lines I have contact with most of the other families.

I also believe that the daughter of Martha is still alive and would
love to make contact.  Drusilla was left without her mother as Polly died in 1918 and Richard lived to over 90. I have grave details and photos. 

You should note that the details on the Pettigrove site mentioned are not up to date and some details are not correct

I have taken years to sort these out but not yet finished. This is not helped by the following in my line:
George Pettigrove my Gdad - married  my GM Eliza Priscillia Baker - they were "cousins"
Ahnentafel Chart; With myself  being No: 1     (BUT  NOT using my Mums line in this example) this makes the following relatives:
Rita = 1
William = 2
George Petitgrove = 4
Eliza Baker = 5
Richard Pettigrove = 8
Mary Ann (Polly) Lee = 9
William Baker = 10
Priscilia Bundock = 11
Thomas Lee =16
Sarah/Matilda Baker = 17
Charles Frost Pettigrove 18
Maria Horby = 19

I have also researched the Rossiter and Keefes...I look forward to hearing from anyone who can help or wants help
Rita