Author Topic: Harvieston  (Read 37494 times)

Offline srdy

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Harvieston
« on: Wednesday 14 January 09 08:50 GMT (UK) »
Looking for information about Harvieston, Midlothian?

Offline jean jeanie

• RootsChat Member
  • Stewart Family
    • View Profile
Re: Harvieston
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 14 January 09 13:03 GMT (UK) »
Can I ask where you found the name "Harvieston"?

Are you sure of the spelling?

Sorry only questions, no answers :(

Best wishes
Jean

Offline tidybooks

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 14 January 09 13:20 GMT (UK) »
Hi srdy etc,

Harvieston is a large estate near Gorebridge, Midlothian seems to have been offerered for auction around 1917 to 1922 in the scotsman, I can see an advert for Harvieston House Temperance Hotel in 1938, so it seems to have been many things to many people. I think the council opened a cemetry at Harvieston about 1943 etc.

Tom
Scotland - Buchanan, Thomson, Pat(t)erson, Stewart, Ritchie, Tracey
Ireland - Tracey, Conroy, Pat(t)erson.

Offline srdy

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 14 January 09 13:42 GMT (UK) »
Hi

Harvieston House was in use as a private residence until sometime in the 1920s then passed from private ownership.

I understand first as a hotel and later as a 'home' for disadvantaged people  - -I can't be mre precise- run by a religious group.

In the 1960s it was divided into a number of flats, and is still remaining in the ownership of that family.

Thank you for your info re Temerance hotel.
srdy

Offline srdy

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 14 January 09 13:48 GMT (UK) »
Hi jean jeanie

I am certain of the spelling. I live in the area. There is Harvieston House and the once associated farm, as well as a number of other local uses of the word - the cemetry mentioned lies nearby.

srdy

Offline Dannemois

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • I've not edited my PROFILE yet
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 19 January 09 20:34 GMT (UK) »
What a pleasant surprise to find Harvieston listed here as a topic.

Harvieston, an estate, with an old, thick walled mansion, greatly enlarged in 1869.  The estate was sold in 1919 and brought to an end the connection to an old Midlothian family of Trotter-Cranstoun.

George Cranstoun, Laird of Dewar, Heriot Water, secured Harvieston by purchase in 1770.  Prior to that date the property of Harvieston appears to have previously belonged to a family of the name of Campbell.  Since 1770, there have been six lairds of Harvieston.

The stone curtain wall surrounding the estate was built between 1830 and 1840, when much was done to make the grounds a delightful place by planting shrubs and trees.

I have traced my ancestors back to the 1770s with at least two or three generations servants at Harvieston.   Alexander Smith, servant to Mr Cranstoun in Harvieston married Isabel Chisholm and six of their issue were baptised at Harvieston.    Another, William Smith, Coachman at Harvieston married Isabella MacKay on 7 Nov 1806 at Harvieston.

Family oral history: The Cranstouns of Dewar, farmers who once reside at Borthwick Hall thought so much of their servant Alexander Smith that they brought him to Harvieston when they relocated there.  This I yet to prove.

I have made two visits to the estate over the years, retracing my roots so to speak and found it be an attractive place.  Yes, it was then run down, but you could still feel the majestic nature of the old place especially as I drove along its tree lined approach rode.

I will gladly share any knowledge I have of Harvieston and its inhabitants, hope this is of some use to you.

Best regards
Roy  [from a long line of Smiths]
anything and everything to do with the village of Brithdir, near New Tredegar in Gwent.

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Dannemois

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 19 January 09 20:55 GMT (UK) »
PS
Further to the preceeding post I forgot to mention if you go to the website below you will find there are developement plans to build housing.  Roy

www.zoopla.co.uk/property/6-harvieston-villas/gorebridge/eh23-4jy/8231230 - 64k -
anything and everything to do with the village of Brithdir, near New Tredegar in Gwent.

Offline Dannemois

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 19 January 09 21:59 GMT (UK) »
You may also be interested in this:

Deposited in the National Archives are accounts & memorandum books plus family papers relating to Thomas & George Cranstoun ex farmers of Heriot who purchased and moved to Harvieston House, nr Gorebridge taking with them my ancestor Alexander Smith, servant and other family members.  Would anyone be prepared to help by reading the records (GB/NNAF/B24635) for reference to any Smiths.

It is a topic I submitted in April 07 but unfortunately no offers so will have to wait until I next visit Scotland.

Regards
Roy

Offline srdy

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 25 January 09 13:17 GMT (UK) »
Hallo Roy

( your posts are getting through!)

It is fascinating to read of your family's connection with the house.

It is currently in use as flats as it has been for the last 30 or so years.

No new building has begun yet but it won't be long before the tree lined driveway is no more and is swallowed into a housing development.

My own lookups into the place brought up the name Smith in the 1841 and 1851 census returns.