Author Topic: Harvieston  (Read 37411 times)

Offline Dannemois

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • I've not edited my PROFILE yet
    • View Profile
Re: Harvieston
« Reply #18 on: Friday 21 August 09 17:43 BST (UK) »
Yes please do.

Regards.

Archie

Hello Archie
Did you receive my message via PM regarding Alexander Smith and Isabel Chisholm?

Roy
anything and everything to do with the village of Brithdir, near New Tredegar in Gwent.

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline pn610

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Friday 21 August 09 21:13 BST (UK) »
Here is the scan - with 1 mm. off top and bottom because it is on a sheet of paper larger than the scanner.
It feels like old paper, though whether it is actually the original I can't be certain.  But it probably is,
since it came down to me through a Macfie who married my great-grandfather. 

Offline Dannemois

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Friday 21 August 09 21:43 BST (UK) »
Many thanks for posting the image, it is much appreciated, I have at least two generations of my Smith ancestors at Harvieston, servants to Mr Cranstoun so I very grateful for your kindness.

Best Regards
Roy
anything and everything to do with the village of Brithdir, near New Tredegar in Gwent.

Offline pn610

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Friday 11 September 09 19:59 BST (UK) »
We visited Harvieston on 9 Sep and took this picture.

It is all a bit sad really, the house appeared to be rather poorly maintained, and we met someone on the way out who told us that the house was now split into 9 flats, and that the grounds between the house and the main road have been sold to Wimpey for housing development.

Such is progress!@

Offline Dannemois

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Friday 11 September 09 20:11 BST (UK) »
Many thanks for posting the image of Harvieston.  It is in much the same condition as when I visited several years ago.  What a shame such a lovely home isn't lived in as it meant to be. 

I could close my eyes and envisage the horse and carriage slowly making its way along the meandering approach, on board Thomas Cranstoun, keeping a watchful eye on my ancestors working in the fields.  What a beautiful peacful valley or should I say glen the house is situated.   

Regards
Roy

Offline srdy

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Friday 11 September 09 23:29 BST (UK) »
yes, sadly the house is in poor condition - but none the less it is still a special place for those of us fortunate enough to live here!

Offline flst

• RootsChat Moderator
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Saturday 12 September 09 16:18 BST (UK) »
Hi,what an interesting post! I have no family history connection with this place (apart from a relative who lives in Gorebridge) but I thought perhaps someone could look up the Valuation Rolls for the area.This will give the name of the owners & or,tenants of a property. If you are lucky enough to find one after the sale in 1919 this will give you the name of the new owners. Also local newspapers will have reported on the sale of the estate.
flst
TAYLOR, COBBAN, SCOTT, PATERSON, BARCLAY,  DUNCAN, SKENE, SIM, WOOD, STEPHEN, ROSE,  CUMINE, MORISON, GERRARD, PYPER, ANDERSON,  FARQUHAR, BURNET, THOMSON, DAVIDSON, BIRNIE,  STRACHAN, DEY, GERRIE, ROBERTSON, FINNIE, WYLLIE,STEPHEN,WILLOX,MICHIE,MARR,BRUCE, CLUBB,SLESSOR,CLARK, SIMPSON,HEPBURN,SINCLAIR,BEEDIE,FOWLIE, CLYNE,FINDLATER, JOHNSTON,BROCKIE,PARK, WATT,MACKIE,WALKER,YEATS,THIRD, BURD,EWAN,ARTHUR,AUCKLAND, MURDOCH,LOW, IRVINE,CHALMERS,BOYES, LYON,SMITH,ADIE, WATSON - ALL N.E.SCOTLAND.

Offline Templar75

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Saturday 12 September 09 21:54 BST (UK) »
I believe that Harvieston means " Market Place " though " Ton " at the end means Farm. Going back to the mid 1600's it is named Hervistoun.

Archie.

Offline Skoosh

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Friday 25 September 09 15:44 BST (UK) »
Folks, there is a sheepfarm called Harvieston away up the Strath of Kildonan,Sutherland, so named by a family named Trotter who leased it from the Duke of Sutherland. Midlothian connection?....Skoosh.