Author Topic: Harvieston  (Read 37416 times)

Offline smedish

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Harvieston
« Reply #27 on: Saturday 16 January 10 22:18 GMT (UK) »
I have been searching for more information on Alexander Smith and Isobel Chisholm (married 15 May 1773 in Borthwick).  Looking specifically for Isobel's parents.  Noticed that there was a post here with their names. 

Offline Dannemois

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • I've not edited my PROFILE yet
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Sunday 17 January 10 21:22 GMT (UK) »
Hi
Just read your message, will check my records and get back to you.  In the mean time I wonder could you tell me your interest.  Are researching the Smith line or the Chisholm line; it will help me what files etc to get out.

Roy 
anything and everything to do with the village of Brithdir, near New Tredegar in Gwent.

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline smedish

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Sunday 17 January 10 23:53 GMT (UK) »
My initial goal is to find Isabel Chisholm's parents.  But I don't have Alexander's parents either so whatever you have would be great.

Offline Dannemois

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Monday 18 January 10 20:25 GMT (UK) »
Hi
First I should explain who I am.  My name is Royston Smith, retired and in my 65th year with a great passion for family history.  I live in Caerphilly, South Wales with my wife Jennifer whom I married in 1966.    My father Robert Smith was born in Gorebridge, Midlothian and luckily his family remained in the same locality so I have been able to trace generations in the Stobsmill area and on the Harvieston Estate, Gorebridge      I am a direct descendent of Alexander Smith and Isabel Chisholm having researched my family line back through generations of Smiths to the marriage of Alexander Smith & Isabel Chisholm in 1773.  Alexander Smith of Borthwick parish and Isabel Chisholm of Heriot parish made their proclamation to marriage on the 15th and 16th May, 1773 in both parishes.   

Alexander Smith, a servant to Thomas and George Cranstoun who were farmers of Heriot by Crookston.  The Cranstoun’s bought the Harvieston estate and on relocating, thought so much of Alexander brought him to Harvieston [family oral history].   Via the Old Parish Records I have successfully traced the baptisms of Alexander & Isabel’s six children and via National Records have details of all other generations descending down to me.

On researching Isabel Chisholm I found that there were very few Chisolms in Heriot parish – An Isobel Chisholm [the only one I found] was christened in Heriot on October 1, 1761, to John Chisholm and Jean Cleugh, who had married on 17.6.1749.  I have not yet proved that this is the Isobel that married Alexander in 1773 but I do believe this is a very good possible.  If this Isobel was baptised as a baby, she would have been just 12 years of age when she married Alexander but this is not uncommon for the period. 

There is one source yet to be explored for details on Alexander & Isabel and that is the papers of Thomas and George Cranstoun held at the National Archives of Scotland which unfortunately is on hold until I am next in Scotland.

I am curious as to your connection to Isabel Chisholm and wondered if you would be so kind as to write me with your details.  If I can help further please get in touch. 

anything and everything to do with the village of Brithdir, near New Tredegar in Gwent.

Offline smedish

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Monday 18 January 10 21:49 GMT (UK) »
Thank you so much for responding.  I am a young mother of four children and so my time is so limited but I have been able to do a little bit of research lately.  I live in the United States-- in Idaho.  My g-g-g-g-g grandmother is Janet Smith, daughter to Alexander and Isabel.    Janet married James Riddel (18 Jun 1802 in Borthwick).  I have been researching the Riddel line for a while and came to a dead end so I decided to see what I could find out about Janet.  I also came across Isabel's parents as possibly John Chisholm and Jean Cleugh but there's also another possibility of Isabel with parents John Chisholm and Janet Grieve with Isobel born 21 Oct 1742 in Borthwick.  I conversed with a lady in Australia a few years ago who also shares this line and she really thinks it is John and Jean even though like you pointed out, it puts Isabel really young to marry.  I have been searching on scotlandspeople.gov.uk on the death records for Isobel to see if I could find her and any possible leads that way but I haven't been able to find her death record.   I don't know how else to go about confirming her parents. 

Offline Dannemois

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Tuesday 19 January 10 18:20 GMT (UK) »
Hi
From what you are saying we could be distantly related and if that is the case, great, its always nice to converse with another searching the same line. 

I wrote a little of the mountain of information I have collected over 35 years of researching the Smith family and although I have hit my genealogy brick wall with Alexander & Isabel, I have not given up the hunt, and will carry on for as long as it takes. 

If you could spend the time to send me copies of your findings then I will cross refer to my files and will send you information and copies of any details I have extra to yours.

I look forward to a long and rewarding friendship

Best Regards
Roy

Offline smedish

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Thursday 21 January 10 20:53 GMT (UK) »
I would be happy to pass along what I have, just let me know what information you would like and where I could send it.  If it's just the Smith line, I could type up the information and send the few images via e-mail.  just let me know.  Thanks

Offline Dannemois

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Saturday 23 January 10 12:05 GMT (UK) »
hi
I have replied by PM which you should have received by now.

Regards, Roy

Offline middlebank

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: Tuesday 27 July 10 18:04 BST (UK) »
Re Harvieston.

I am directly related to Walter Stoddart, Weaver in 1785 as listed in the 'Trades in Harvieston" page.

This through one of he (1745-? ) and his wife Jennet Stoethart's children, John Stoddart ,"Weaver at Catcune Mill", (1772-1830), born in "Lasswade" (area?) from "Scotlandspeople".

Catcune Mill  is/was close by Harvieston from old maps.

There were other earlier Stoddarts in Harvieston and area.

Walter Stoddart (Weaver), born Abt 1690 in "Dalkeith" (area?) from "Scotlandspeople" is also directly related from what I have found.

"Family Lore" said my Stoddarts were Tailors and earlier Weavers and I have found this to be correct.

I have information to share on this line and wonder if anyone has further information as to Stoddart names, dates, and trades.

The OPR Records (Births, Marriages and Deaths) for "Dalkeith" as an area are good on Scotlandspeople but there are gaps.

John Stoddart
Canada.