Author Topic: Harvieston  (Read 37408 times)

Offline Dannemois

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • I've not edited my PROFILE yet
    • View Profile
Re: Harvieston
« Reply #9 on: Tuesday 27 January 09 12:39 GMT (UK) »
Hello Srdy

Glad to hear my posts are getting through.  You mentioned in your opening post "looking for information about Harvieston" what kind of information are you looking for?  If I can help in anyway please get in touch I'm more than willing to share my findings.  It is nice to be able to correspond with someone with the same interest and with first hand knowledge of the area. 

I had a very good friend who helped me a lot but sadly he died, you may have heard of him, Alasdair Anderson, lived in Huntersfield and was the mainstay of the Gorebridge Historical Society.

Best regards
Roy
anything and everything to do with the village of Brithdir, near New Tredegar in Gwent.

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline srdy

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Tuesday 27 January 09 13:01 GMT (UK) »
I have become interested in the house because I live in the area.

I have heard many local stories attached to it and its various uses during the 20th century.

I have walked around its grounds and found the remains of pathways and also a long ruined and overgrown bridge over the Gore.

Having long lived in the area - I simply felt it was time to 'check out' the big house so hidden amongst the trees.

I remember Alastair Anderson well - in fact 20  or more years ago I  worked as a supply (relief) teacher) in the area and on more than one occasion I took Alastair's class when he was unwell. I have been an occasional attender at Gorebridge History Society meetigs and have their publications.

Offline newtonharper

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Wednesday 28 January 09 19:01 GMT (UK) »
good evening,

what a fascinating post...
Srdy, could you share any of the stories you have heard attached to harvieston and its uses, I have always been fascinated by the house since a friend of mine lived there for a short while and I visited, mostly we walked the grounds, a lovely place, but neglected to ask the history of the house.
It would be tragic to see the tree lined avenue gone and so many houses on the fields, as a large part of Harvieston's charm is its peace and quiet, are these plans still to go ahead as far as you know?
Any tales or information you have heard would be much appreciated, I have searched for information on the house before, and found nothing.
Thank You

Offline Dannemois

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Friday 30 January 09 11:28 GMT (UK) »
Hi
Over the years I have collected the names and trades of people [attached] associated with Harvieston and thought it may be of interest to you.  Will post more when I find items of interest.

Regards
Roy

anything and everything to do with the village of Brithdir, near New Tredegar in Gwent.

Offline DaveH46

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Monday 16 February 09 20:05 GMT (UK) »
On the 1881 census the occupants of Harvieston House were Adam Weir, domestic servant, John Brown, coachman and farm servant, Margaret Henry, domestic servant, Agnes Henry, domestic servant, and Isabella Henry, domestic servant.  The owners of the house were not in residence.  On the 1891 census the occupants were Margaret Henry, housekeeper, Agnes Henry, laundry maid and Isabella Henry, housemaid.  Again the owners are not in residence.  Finally on the 1901 census the occupants are Margaret Henry, cook (domestic), Agnes Henry. housemaid , and Isabella Henry, tablemaid. Again no owners, but this time there is a note after Margaret Henry's name which reads 'Family absent'.

These three Henry ladies are sisters and my first cousins, three times removed.  Their grandfather William Henry is my third great grandfather.  On the 1861 census Margaret, the oldest sister was in service with G. C. T. Cranstoun, a paper manufacturer in Chirnside, Berwickshire.  Would this be a relation of the George Cranston, Laird of Dewar, mentioned by Roy?

The Henry sisters were apparently well looked after as on their death certificates Margaret Henry and Isabella Henry are both described as annuitants despite a lifetime in domestic service.  Margaret died in 1930, age 89, and Isabella also died in 1930, age 79.  Agnes died in 1920, age 72, but she was described as 'formarly domestic servant' with no mention of annuitant on her death certificate.

Any comments on the continual absence of the owners of the house, and were they still Cranstouns at that time>

Offline Templar75

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Tuesday 10 March 09 20:34 GMT (UK) »
I read that Harvieston means Market Place and at one time was land belonging to the Knights Templar.

" Ton " means Farm.

Best.

Archie.

Offline pn610

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Friday 21 August 09 16:18 BST (UK) »
Hi

I have an ancient notice dated Harvieston, 22d Sept 1817 concerning the Shooting of Pigeons and starting
Whereas Mr Cranston has for some time past suffered great inconvenience and prejudice by idle and disorderly people Shooting at and Destroying his PIGEONS .................................

Will try to post an image of it if anyone is interested.

Hoping to visit Harvieston on our way back from Perthsire on 8 or 9 Sept

Offline Templar75

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Friday 21 August 09 17:05 BST (UK) »
Yes please do.

Regards.

Archie

Offline Dannemois

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Friday 21 August 09 17:42 BST (UK) »
I would love a copy, collecting anything to do with Harvieston,
Kind Regards, Roy