Author Topic: Burke Family from Cork  (Read 22337 times)

Offline jolijai

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Burke Family from Cork
« on: Wednesday 14 January 09 12:44 GMT (UK) »
Hi there,
Am trying to find out about my ancestory on my father's mother's side. I have lots of photos and some info which I wrote down before my grandmother died. My great grandfather was Richard Burke (born 1878-died in England 1960). He had a sister called Ethel Burke (born 1882-died England 1960"s). I always thought  that they were born in Cork. I'm beginning to wonder though. My grandmother talked about my great great grandfather in Ireland marrying into a non catholic family (could be vice versa) and they were basically banished from the families involved. They may have left Ireland due to that. I have a pic of great great grandfather working for East India Co in 1833. As I understand it, he married an Alice Moyle in 1873 in Poona, India. I know that my grandfather, Richard Burke, worked for the British government in India for most of his life. He ended up as Governor of Bangalore in the 1920/30's. He married Norah Hyde-Castes in 1903. Is Hyde-cates an Irish name? I am trying to build a family tree, not easy, as it seems that a lot of them ended up working abroad for the British goverment in colonies. I would just really like to go back right to my Irish heritage. If anyone can help, would be great...
Many thanks and sorry if it reads a bit disjointed.
Jax

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Burke Family from Cork
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 14 January 09 13:02 GMT (UK) »
Welcome to Rootschat. Your post is a bit confusing but found the following on FIBIS site:
Charles J. Burke m.1873 Bombay to Alice L. Moyle [possibly his middle inital T not J- see below].
Richard Burke m.1903 Bombay to Norah Cates (not Castes).

LDS site (www.familysearch.org) has what almost certainly has to be a son of Charles and Alice:
Harold Vivian Burke born 18 Oct.1874 India son of Charles Toler Burke and Alice Laura.
(see site for full details)

Putting "Charles Toler Burke" into Google (including quotation marks) brings up several engineering references which may explain why the Burkes were in India.

Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline Blitz

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 13 February 09 00:32 GMT (UK) »
I too am looking for Burkes in Cork. My great great grandfather I think came from Cork and went to Preston England. His name was James Burke

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 13 February 09 00:42 GMT (UK) »
Blitz- perhaps if you could give us an idea of dates and what sort of information you are looking for someone might be find more information or suggest where to look next.

Added- See that you've posted a new thread here:
www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php/topic,360493.0/topicseen.html
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline Blitz

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 18 February 09 02:42 GMT (UK) »
It seems james Burke came from county Cork in the late 1840 or early 1850s. This is all I know...sorry. I am finding Irelland a more difficult place to search or perhaps it is becuase I am getting back farther

Offline AliWo

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 18 April 09 19:39 BST (UK) »
Dear Jax,

I have a number of photos from my grandmother's albums that I think include your great grandfather, Dick Burke, including the marriage of his daughter Sheila, presumably your father's mother, in Bangalore, March 1931.  Doesn't help much with tracing your family tree but might be of interest!

AliWo

Offline OlwenLong

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 10 March 10 17:41 GMT (UK) »
Richard Burke married Norah Mary Hyde Cates daughter of George Edward Hyde Cates and Rose Frances Carew.  If you want any more info on her let me know. 

Offline kahaley

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 13 March 10 01:21 GMT (UK) »
I am as well looking for a Burke!
There was a Thomas Power or Powers who married a Burke (first name unknown) and had at least my Great-Great-Grandmother Johanna Power or Powers. Johanna was born Feb 15, 1856 in Cork I believe. She talked about growing up on the wrong side of the tracks in Dublin.
I believe the family was Catholic if that helps!
I would love to hear if anyone has come across this name in their searches.

Thank you!

Karen

Offline burke110

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 28 April 10 14:05 BST (UK) »
Hi I am a Burke as well. My name is Michael Burke I'm trying to find information about my great-great-great-grandfather Timothy Burke born January 1810 did May 5, 1903. He married Catherine Hurley around 1830 and had five children with her, their second son being my great-great-grandfather. From his obituary and other records that we have he came from County Cork, his obituary also states tha he was born in Dunmanway. His children where baptised in Drinagh Parish.  I would like to find his parents, I know that his mother's last name was McCannon or Cannon and we think his father's name was John Burke but we don't know for sure. We do know that he had a brother named John Burke who went to New Brunswick and then to Boston (my family also took a similar route), Timothy eventually came to the U.S. dying in Oswego, New York. We like to think that his family kept with the Irish naming system but if that's true then his father's name was possibly Timothy not John because his eldest son was named Timothy, my great-great-grandfather being named John. We also know that Timothy worked as an Iron Worker/Laborer. Also my Burke family is Roman Catholic. I would like if someone could help me find more information about Timothy and his parents. I also have my families coat of arms, which I'm attaching which we've had probably since we came to America because my grandfather had it and so it probably came over with my great-great-grandfather or great-great-great-grandfather. Thanks