Author Topic: The Grange, Bridge of Weir  (Read 10367 times)

Offline Robneve

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
The Grange, Bridge of Weir
« on: Wednesday 14 January 09 19:01 GMT (UK) »
In the early 1900's The Grange was a large mansion owned by John Fullerton who was a pickle manufacturer.  Does anyone know if this house still exists?  All I have for an address is The Grange, Bridge of Weir. If I order a sassine search, I would need a street, and a post code.

What I want to do is find out when John Fullerton bought this house and when he sold it.

Any help and advice would be greatly appreciated.

Offline RJ_Paton

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Cuimhnichibh air na daoine bho'n d'thainig sibh
    • View Profile
Re: The Grange, Bridge of Weir
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 14 January 09 22:27 GMT (UK) »
Could it be this one
The Grange
Hazelwood Rd,
 Bridge Of Weir,

It's certainly a big house - as are most of them in Hazelwood Road - There are a couple of other houses in Bridge of Weir which also appear to bear the name "The Grange" but they are newer constructs than the Hazelwood Road house and are on the outskirts of the village.

If you look at Google maps you can see a satellite image of the Hazelwood Road house  as it is now.

Offline Robneve

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 15 January 09 01:36 GMT (UK) »

Thanks Falkryn.  I'll check it out.  Have you ever heard of Rowat's Pickles?

John Fullerton was the owner.

Cheers,

Rob.

Offline RJ_Paton

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Cuimhnichibh air na daoine bho'n d'thainig sibh
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 15 January 09 09:15 GMT (UK) »
I remember they had a factory in Hillington in the 70's.

But if you have a look at The Glasgow Story at
http://www.theglasgowstory.com/image.php?inum=TGSE00152
there is some history there

Offline Robneve

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 15 January 09 14:29 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for the info. re "The Glasgow Story".  I had looked at this web site a couple of years ago and could not find any reference to Rowat's, although I never thought to look under "Museum of Transport"  A strange place to find a pickle advert!!

I should explain that John Fullerton was the father of my mother's first husband, Alexander Craig Fullerton.  Alexander died when he was 36 and my mother remarried.  He was John Allan one time director of Walter Alexander & Sons.

John Fullerton apparently had a partner who embezzled all the company's cash while John was abroad on a business trip.  When he got back, the company was still operable but had no operating capital so he lost everything and the receiver kept the company running until a buyer could be found.

I had a look at Google Earth and found "The Grange" more clearly. it's not what I remember, but that memory is at least 50 years old!!!!!

This is a great help Falkryn  Thanks very much.

I was born and raised near Glasgow, but I live in Canada now, so find information like this not easy.

Offline davieboy

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 18 January 09 20:43 GMT (UK) »
Rowats closed in the late 1980's / early 1990's. My wifes cousin worked there for a bit.
Ramsay, Struthers, Stark (Avondale, Lanarkshire) Haughey, Martin (Ballyrashane) Neely, Fraser (Londonderry) Hill (Anderston, Glasgow), Cranstoun, Carruthers (Dumfries) MacIndoe (Springburn & Bridgeton, Glasgow) McKay (Springburn, Glasgow) Fraser (Paisley)

Offline pancho

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 18 January 09 20:47 GMT (UK) »
I worked right across the road from Rowats you could tell the workers by the smell of vinegar and their wellies lol Hundreds lost jobs when they closed .....very sad
Sloey,Slowey,O`Connor ,Hammond,Coulston ,Daily,McCabe ,McCartney,Cunningham ,Martin, McKenna,Cairns Fox,Martin Places of interest Monaghan,Glasgow ,Liverpool,Wolverhampton,Wallasey.

Offline Robneve

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 18 January 09 21:05 GMT (UK) »
Thanks again to everyone.

I should explain that, by 1980, the Fullerton family were long gone.

I'm trying to find the relevant dates.  I do know that the original owner was John Fullerton and it was his son Alexander who was my mother's first husband.  I have found that between 1904 / 1908 John was making regular trips to Canada / U.S. on business for Rowat's but I don't know when the bankruptcy happened.  I assume it had to be around 1920 as I can find no trace of business trips after that date.

Does anyone how how to find bankruptcy records in Scotland?

I left Scotland  for Canada in 1982 and did not know that Rowat's had closed.
That is very sad.  The URL that you gave Falkryn, led to an advert from 1901 which is when John Fullerton would have been the owner.  I'm glad to have that.  Thanks again.

Offline wss2

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 31 May 11 11:51 BST (UK) »
I am delighted to have just come across this forum. My grandfather, John Gauld Fullerton was the older brother of Alexander Craig Fullerton. John G, born in 1895, was the eldest of  five, of whom the others were: James D (b abt 1900), Alexander Craig, Margaret B (b abt 1903) and Marion E (b abt 1906). John G married in 1920 and died in 1967. He was a commercial artist and lived in Jesmond, Newcastle-on-Tyne.

Did you ever find anything more about the bankruptcy?