Author Topic: Francis Burdett Mills bc1878 Pancras, London  (Read 4597 times)

Offline dawnsh

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Francis Burdett Mills bc1878 Pancras, London
« Reply #9 on: Tuesday 13 October 09 13:00 BST (UK) »
Hi Richard

Sorry I had to edit your email address.

James needs to make a couple more postings and can then send and receive messages on the personal message system, it sometimes works after 2 but should be 3.

Hi James

Send another post to this topic and you're almost there  ;D

The LMA/Ancestry project is still a work in progress. They will be adding to it for another couple of years at least. There are issues to overcome such as where are the original registers, if they are still in use at the church or in another archive they won't be included. And the earlier parish registers (prior to 1813) have been fimed but not indexed.

What has been discovered with baptisms is that where a curate covered 2 or more parishes, he entered his baptisms in a day book to be copied into the actual register at a later date, and then not remembering where the baptism had taken place, has entered them wrongly or twice in 2 registers  :-\

The other situation I have encountered and reported to the LMA (as you can't yet report to Ancestry) is the mis-indexing of churches, where a batch of images from one church can be found amongst a completely different parish with the same saints name. It's worth looking at the top of the register page as well as the top of the ancestry page to confirm that the details match.

Dawn

Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Sherry-Paddington & Marylebone,
Longhurst-Ealing & Capel, Abinger, Ewhurst & Ockley,
Chandler-Chelsea

Offline Cater

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Tuesday 13 October 09 13:21 BST (UK) »
Hi Richard

Thanks for the details; I'm pleased my data was of interest.

I would be grateful for copies of both trees. Also a scan of the photo of Maria Barry would be gratefully received. My wife has a few old photos if they arte of interest to you I will look them out.

Regards

James

Offline dawnsh

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Tuesday 13 October 09 23:01 BST (UK) »
Hi Richard

As long as no-one else has sent James a pm, you should be able to get one through to him.

Hi James

Just to let you know, you can't exchange word docs or image files on the pm system, but you need to use the pm system to exchange email addresses.

Dawn

Chandler-Chelsea

Offline Cater

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Wednesday 14 October 09 13:02 BST (UK) »
Dawn

Thanks

James

Offline Kerrie101

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Saturday 21 October 17 11:05 BST (UK) »
Hi
I am one of the grandchildren of Francis Burdett Mills and son of Leonard Alfred Sidney Mills. I have just seen this chat and would like to know more as well. Leonard returned to England after Australia.

Thanks

Derek Mills

Offline rihuggett

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Sunday 22 October 17 15:11 BST (UK) »
Hello Derek,

Thanks for your message: "I am one of the grandchildren of Francis Burdett Mills and son of Leonard Alfred Sidney Mills. I have just seen this chat and would like to know more as well. Leonard returned to England after Australia."

I have found you on the tree I have assembled.  I have your Dad: "Leonard Alfred Sydney, b.23/05/1915 Wandsworth RD, bapt. 11/07/1915 St Mary’s, Balham High Rd - d.16/07/1983 Weston-super-Mare.".  I guess James Cater and Nick Mills will also see your rootschat mail and get back to you.  Nick is a far nearer cousin of yours than I am, being a grandson of Leonard's older brother William Robert, b.21/12/1897 at 34 Shakespeare Rd, South Hornsey, bapt. 09/01/1898
at St Matthias‘, Stoke Newington - d.1980 Colchester, Essex.  James Cater is Nick's brother in law.  My link to your family is via Clara Mills, my greatgrandmother (Clara, b.15/04/1868 St Pancras, bapt. 05/05/1868 at All Saints’, Gordon Square, St Pancras. Died 30/12/1952 Hastings).  Clara was the oldest sister of Francis Burdett Mills, b.27/10/1874 St Marylebone, bapt. 13/01/1875 at St John the Evangelist, Fitzroy Square (Charlotte Street) - d. March 1951 Wandsworth RD aged 76.

I will try to find ways of sending over the whole tree I have typed up to you, via this attachment option.  I may have to split it up over 2 messages owing to the length, but I'll attempt it during the coming week.  In the meantime and to whet your appetite here is a biographical note on your greatgrandfather Francis Mills, the father of Francis Burdett, b.1874 and of Clara, b.1868, here in the body of the rootschat message:
"
Francis Mills, called Francis Burdett Mills in his sons FB Mills’ 1895 marriage entry, son William James Mills' 1911 marriage entry, daughter Lilian Daisy’s 1912 marriage entry and on his death cert; called Frank on his daughters’ Clara and Charlotte Elizabeth’s parish marriage entries (in 1888 and 1896 respectively).  Francis was born at 9 Norfolk Street, sub-district of All Souls, Marylebone on 04/04/1843 as Francis Mills (mother’s maiden name Powell, ref.01/132).  Registration of Francis on 17/04/1843; bapt. 30/04/1843 St Mary‘s, Bryanston Square.  The baptism entry has Francis’ birth as 04/04/1843.  For the 1851 census see end for possible sighting of Francis).  On marriage Francis was a bachelor, a minor and a brass finisher of George St.  Francis was 28 in 1871, head of house living with his wife and 2 daughters at 11 Tottenham St.  With them were 2 other households, the Vanderhagens and the Keens and 3 lodgers, Mary Ann Panel (or Punch, unclear), Ann French and Daniel Dugard.  In 1881 he may be identified with the Francis Mills, an inmate of Highgate Infirmary, see below.  In 1881 hiswife and 4 children were at 48 Drummond Crescent, eccles. parish of St Mary’s  with 3 other households.  In 1891 he was 48 and brass finisher living with wife Maria and children Ellen, Francis, Charlotte, William and Daisy at 6 Little Drummond St, eccles. parish of St Mary‘s; it was a multi-occupation dwelling with the Wood family and 4 other people there.  In 1901 he was 58 and a brass trimmer with his name transcribed for computer as Thomas Mills living with his wife and daughter Lilian.  Francis Mills, 62, married, not able-bodied, a brass trimmer and C. of E. was registered for admission on
19/04/1906 to the St John’s Road workhouse in the parish of St Mary’s, Islington.  His address was
given as 50 Frederick - (last bit lost in the binding).  Francis Burdett Mills died aged 64 on 07/01/1908 at 87 Roman Rd, Islington.  He died of bronchitis and heart disease, syncope; the informant was his wife Maria, present at the death.  The burial entry at Islington Cemetery, East Finchley gives Francis Burdett Mills of Roman Rd, dying in January 1908 and buried 13/01/1908 in a public grave - no headstone.  Trade: Brass finisher or brass trimmer, sometimes brass founder (brass founder in 1877 on daughter Emily Amelia‘s death certificate)..  1870 - a labourer.  1908 brass finisher.  Family rumour that Francis was natural son of Sir Francis Burdett, 5th Bt (d.1844) or his son Sir Robert Burdett, 6th Bt or Sir William Burdett, 7th Bt and was in receipt of a regular payment from the Burdett source persisting after his father’s death (info from Nick Mills).  Francis Mills’ son Francis Burdett Mills told the family on numerous occasions that his father, Francis Mills (1843-1908) didn't do a day’s work in his life, but always had plenty of money.  He was also described as 'Gentleman' on some documentation.  Also that FBM used some of the money to set up the Mills Dairy (source Francis B.C. Mill, b.1929), son of Herbert Mills).  No mention is made of a Francis Mills in the wills of the 5th or 7th baronets.  The 6th Baronet died intestate.   " 

Hope this is of interest.  I had no idea your father Leonard went to Australia.  Do you have the dates and where he lived?

Thanks, Richard Huggett (and I'll be in touch again with the whole tree, hopefully.)
Norfolk - Cory, Mills, Douglass, Dagless, Shingles, Burton
Surrey - Huggett, Butcher
Middlesex - Hassell, Spenceley, Millward, Mills, Barry, Kelly, Buckinger
Bucks - Chapman, North
Oxon - Pratt
Sussex - Butcher, Huggett

Offline Kerrie101

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Monday 23 October 17 13:05 BST (UK) »
Thanks for your reply Richard.

Leonard came back from Australia in 1978. I will send you more details tomorrow as I will get all the old photos and certificates down. As for the rumours of Francis being illegitimate it was in fact true of Francis Burdett Coutts of the banking family. I remember him collecting money from the bank. I will get back to you soon.

Thanks
Derek

Offline dawnsh

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Tuesday 24 October 17 14:41 BST (UK) »
If it's more convenient for you both, you can exchange email addresses via the personal message system and correspond off-forum.

http://www.rootschat.com/help/pms.php

A post count of 2 will get you into the system.

Dawn

Chandler-Chelsea