Author Topic: Birchinlee, Tin Town Derbyshire  (Read 5975 times)

Offline CoxDodds

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Birchinlee, Tin Town Derbyshire
« on: Saturday 17 January 09 00:03 GMT (UK) »
Anyone else researching into life in Birchinlee, Derbyshire? This was the temporary village constructed from 1903 - 1912 to house the workers for the Derwent and neighbouring dams. (Made famous by the Dam Busters!)
Cox
Dodd
O'Donoghue
Whitehead
Barnes
Stockton

Offline sougher

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Birchinlee, Tin Town Derbyshire
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 17 January 09 10:15 GMT (UK) »
I assume you have seen copies of the books written by Professor Brian Robinson whose mother was born at Birchinlee?   I have a copy of "Walls across the valley - The building of the Howden and Derwent Dams" Scarthin Books, 1993.   The other book I understand is "Memories of Tin Town - The Navvy village of Birchinlee and it's People" (Northend 2001).   There are many websites available with more information and photographs.

Margaret

Offline CoxDodds

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 17 January 09 15:34 GMT (UK) »
Hi Margaret

Yes I have a couple of Brian's books and have spoken to him over the phone. Which web sites would you recommend?

Thanks
Cox
Dodd
O'Donoghue
Whitehead
Barnes
Stockton

Offline KJIRCSM

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 21 June 11 13:02 BST (UK) »
Hi Coxdodds

I have found that three of my Mothers Uncle's all worked as stone masons for DVWB on the construction of the dams.
I found this information since the release of the 1911 census. You can also look at the enumerators reports which even tells you what hut number your family was in.
This is the Simpson side of my family ( 7 Boys ) who were all born and lived in Chapel en le Frith according to the 1901 census .
But by 1911 2 were living in hut 49 Birchinlee and the other was living in Ashopton with his father in law.
The other thing I found was my Great Grand Father moved over to Dungworth with his wife and the 2 youngest boys to become farmers.
Big family move for its day.
Kind regards
Mike

Offline ErnieWD

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 19 December 16 15:11 GMT (UK) »
Hi Mike
Just started work on this since I discovered that my dad was born there. His father, uncles and grandfather all worked on the dams and are listed on the 1911 census. You mentioned the 'enumerators reports' in your post - how do I access those?
Many thanks
ErnieWD

Offline KJIRCSM

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 13 January 17 13:07 GMT (UK) »
Hi ErnieWD

I found the enumerator reports when I looked at the 1911 census. I downloaded a couple but the max file attachment is 900kb and one is over. I have attached the one to see if your family is on it.

All the best

Mike

Offline ErnieWD

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 13 January 17 15:13 GMT (UK) »
Hi Mike

Thanks for that information. Yes my grandfather is listed at no. 12 (T Davies). I have his census record from 1911 and have since bought two of Brian Robinson's books about Birchinlee and the dams.
Thanks for your help
ErnieWD