Author Topic: Waterloo  (Read 39707 times)

Offline Jean McGurn

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Waterloo
« Reply #18 on: Sunday 26 April 09 05:25 BST (UK) »
Hi Martin
Thanks for looking.  I only found him on the FindMyPast muster roll with the info I gave you.

I had thought I had found an uncle for my g.g.g.grandfather Christopher McGurn b 1809, (who settled in Liverpool pre 1941) and would be able to supply a bit more info.

All the McGurns I have discovered around that period of time are related to each other.

Thanks again
Regards
Jean

McGurn, Stables, Harris, Owens, Bellis, Stackhouse, Darwent, Co(o)mbe

Offline purplefrankie

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Monday 04 May 09 10:55 BST (UK) »
Hi Martin,

I wonder it you could possibly help me with this.

I have a Private George Mountain in the Royal Regiment of Horse Guards whose Attestation date was 10 Nov 1812 and he was age 18.  He was born in Ruddington, Notts and apparently died in service and was discharged 13 Oct. 1824. 

I got these details from the Household Cavalry Museum and they say he served in "F" Troop and although they have no firm evidence of Waterloo Service it would be most surprising if he did not.

I have been told there was a Waterloo Medal awarded to a Private George Mountain - Lt.Col. C.Hill's Troop, and wonder if you could confirm or disprove this could be our George Mountain.

Many thanks,
Suzy

Offline Martin Aaron

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Monday 04 May 09 13:18 BST (UK) »
Hi Suzy
Yes I have Private George Mountain listed on my database in Hill's Troop (or "F" Troop). I don't have any other details so many thanks for your data - could I ask what you mean by died in service? If he was discharged from the army in 1824 does this mean he became a servant and died in service?

Regards
Martin

Offline purplefrankie

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Monday 04 May 09 14:56 BST (UK) »
Hi Martin

Thanks for your information.  I'm glad to know that this is the correct George Mountain. 

As to him being in service when he died, on the research form I had from the Household Cavalry Museum they said he was discharged 13 Oct 1824 at Regents Park Barracks. At the baptism of one of his children on the 24 October 1824 he was down as deceased, so I contacted the Museum again and the researcher said he died in service and that would have been his discharge date.

I guess a visit to the Records Office is the next step.

Once again, many thanks for your help.

Regards
Suzy

Offline Kiwi Girl

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Thanks for your help, I'll try and help too
    • View Profile
James Brown, Napoleonic Wars
« Reply #22 on: Wednesday 15 July 09 08:28 BST (UK) »
Hi there,

I'm sure this is a very weak request (weak as in there must be millions of James Browns!) My 3rd Great-Grandfather, James Brown, came to New Zealand in 1848.  In a book written at the time he is described as 'a Veteran of the Napoleonic Wars'.  His date of birth seems to be fairly flexible.  But I have since found that census dobs can be rounded up or down.  He was born in 1792 in East Crofts, Abbey (Paisley), Renfrew, Scotland.  According to the 1841 census notes I have this is his family:

Address: East Croft St, Paisley, Renfrewshire
James Brown, m, 49, hand loom weaver, Renfrewshire
Marrion ",         f, 40, -, outside county
James ",          m, 13, -, Renfrewshire
John ",             m, 8, -, Renfrewshire
Robt Watt ",     m, 6, -, Renfrewshire
David ",            m, 1, -, Renfrewshire

Do you have any clues as to whether he was at Waterloo?  Or where I should look for Napoleonic War Veterans?  I am in New Zealand and fairly new at this!

:D
Jamieson (Aberdeenshire / Otago). Watt (Aberdeenshire/ Southland), Lane (Nova Scotia / England / South Island), Brown (Paisley / Abbey Eat Taieri), Houseal/  Hausihl (Germany / Philadelphia / Nova Scotia / Dover / South Island), Gillespie (Glasgow / Ireland), Farquharson, Urquhart, Kaua (East Coast, North Island), Hughes (Anglesea / East Coast, North Island), Boyd (Scotland / East Coast, North Island), Bulfin (south Island)

Offline km1971

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Wednesday 15 July 09 10:14 BST (UK) »
If you search for james brown AND renfrewshire on the NA Catalogue - http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/catalogue/search.asp?j=1 - you get a hit of the right age. The WO97 reference is a microfilm in Kew. You can order a printout at 40p a page plus postage. There will not be many pages as they have been heavily culled over the past 150-200 years. But you will get the basics, especially his regiment.

If you are any good with spreadsheets you can do a search of just james brown and download the results into a spreadsheet and check out a few alternatives. They may not have recorded his county of birth for example.

The dates given are when he served. You will have to google his regiment to see if they took part in Waterloo or the Peninsular War. If the latter he may have received a medal that was only authorised in 1847. You had to apply, and it was only available to survivors. He may have missed out as it would have taken at least 6 to 12 months from 1st of June 1847 when they were authorised to being issued.

The Waterloo Medal was issued soon after the victory. Any man there received two years service added to his pension ‘pot’. This will be recorded on his papers.

Ken

Offline Kiwi Girl

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Wednesday 15 July 09 10:53 BST (UK) »
WOW!  and Blimey!  :o

That is amazing!  Thank you soooooooooooooooooooooooo much!

From over here it just seemed daunting!  And not even knowing where to start was a little scary.

;D
Jamieson (Aberdeenshire / Otago). Watt (Aberdeenshire/ Southland), Lane (Nova Scotia / England / South Island), Brown (Paisley / Abbey Eat Taieri), Houseal/  Hausihl (Germany / Philadelphia / Nova Scotia / Dover / South Island), Gillespie (Glasgow / Ireland), Farquharson, Urquhart, Kaua (East Coast, North Island), Hughes (Anglesea / East Coast, North Island), Boyd (Scotland / East Coast, North Island), Bulfin (south Island)

Offline Kiwi Girl

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Wednesday 15 July 09 11:07 BST (UK) »
Hi again,

It says he 'Served in Rifle Brigade' - but you think the print out will have his actual Brigade? Cool!  He served for quite some time, 1811-1829.

Thank you soooo much again for your help - this line of my family is a bit of a mystery.

:D

Offline km1971

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Friday 17 July 09 09:34 BST (UK) »
The Rifle Brigade was an infantry regiment. Brigade in this case should not be confused with a brigade of infantry battalions.  Army speak is designed to punish girls for playing with dolls rather than soldiers.

Ken