Author Topic: Waterloo  (Read 39642 times)

Offline Skoosh

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Waterloo
« Reply #63 on: Saturday 02 June 18 14:16 BST (UK) »
@ Fred, Until Victoria, the king of Hanover was the British monarch!

Skoosh.

Offline frederickay

• RootsChat Veteran
  • I've not edited my PROFILE yet
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: Sunday 03 June 18 04:06 BST (UK) »
Hi I wasn't sure about Grimes being at Waterloo . i now believe is Lt. Robrt Grimes definately in the Peninsula War
... Captain Major Charles Jones was a brigade Major the 15th Cavalary with Coloquon .orfor possibly a dutch contingent . i will look it up again . He went on to become the ADC for Ernest Duke of Cumberland .Ernest Augustus, King of Hanover - Wikipedia
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ernest_Augustus,_King_of_Hanover
Ernest Augustus was King of Hanover from 20 June 1837 until his death. He was the fifth son ... In 1799, he was created Duke of Cumberland and Teviotdale.
 Fred .
valentine.fairhurst,hayes,hammond,codling,rust.norfolk.deyrujo.jutsum.wharton.lacey,probert,prickett,preby atherley-jones.clifton ..london /china. judd, eubank , dixon , hine , airey ,park .twentyman , dampier , jones in suffolk , limby , derrick , stockwell..

Offline Pheno

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: Sunday 03 June 18 12:26 BST (UK) »
Hi Martin, wondered if there was a record of my husband's 3xgreat grandfather Samuel Fo(o)rd being at Waterloo.  He was baptised 11 Oct 1789 at Ringmer in Sussex and a tree on Ancestry suggests he was at Waterloo but I haven't found any confirmation of this.

He married in Ringmer in 1808 and was back there for the 1841 census.  Although I don't have any detail for the intervening years he does have children baptised in Ringmer in 1809/1812/1814/1816/1819/1821/1823/1826/1829/1832 which doesn't seem to leave much time for him to have been out of the country fighting.

Regards, Pheno
Austin/Austen - Sussex & London
Bond - Berkshire & London
Bishop - Sussex & Kent
Holland - Essex
Nevitt - Cheshire & Staffordshire
Wray - Yorkshire

Offline Martin Aaron

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: Sunday 03 June 18 15:01 BST (UK) »
Hi Pheno
I cannot find a Sam Ford/Foord in the British army at Waterloo.

All the best

Martin

Offline Pheno

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: Sunday 03 June 18 19:57 BST (UK) »
Well I'll be blowed.  As you were sending that response Martin, Ancestry came up with the muster rolls for Lieutenant Colonel Millers Company 3rd Battalion First Regiment Foot Guards who served in the Battle of Waterloo and there was Samual Foord with the annotation Windsor and then killed in action 10 June. 

They also have a Sam Foord in the Muster pay lists for 1814/15 and 1815/16 which gives his date of enlistment into the Grenadier Guards as 4 April 1814.  However there is a note against the latter entry which says died 4 September 181?  - the latter number has been omitted from the scan.

So two Sam Foords but neither of them mine as he was back in Ringmer in 1841.

Thanks very much for looking though.

Pheno
Bishop - Sussex & Kent
Holland - Essex
Wray - Yorkshire

Offline Martin Aaron

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: Sunday 03 June 18 20:49 BST (UK) »
I suspect, from what you have written that, if correct, he may have died at Windsor in England of natural causes on 10th June.  That seems to be the most likely explanation of an annotation saying "Windsor" (i.e. that he wasn't present with the battalion in Flanders).

The battle was fought between 16th and 18th June, so 10th June means he did not die in combat.

Offline Pheno

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: Sunday 03 June 18 20:58 BST (UK) »
Thanks Martin.  Almost all the other entries in the Colonel Miller muster roll have Cambray alongside them which I gather was the Duke of Wellington's HQ so I assume that you are correct in surmising that Samual Foord didn't make it beyond Windsor.

Regards, Pheno
Bishop - Sussex & Kent
Holland - Essex
Wray - Yorkshire

Offline Marie Warren

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: Friday 03 August 18 10:16 BST (UK) »
Hi Martin. I am searching for a John Augustus Reid who was supposed to have been born in Dublin and served in Captain Reeves Company the 54th on Foot. However I am getting totally confused with the number of John Reids and and also whether or not Captain Reeves Company is the same 54th on Foot as the West Norfolk one. The John Augustus Reid I am chasing  retired as a captain and supposedly died in Glasgow in 1853. He may have been a Lieutenant and but the only Lieutenant John Reid I can find in the Waterloo Roll of Honour is the one in the West Norfolk lot. I would really appreciate some advice.
Thanks
Marie

Offline Regorian

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Henry Griffiths Jnr c1914, HMS Achilles
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: Friday 03 August 18 10:51 BST (UK) »
I live in forlorn hope of finding a Waterloo veteran in my family. My gggrandfather 1792 to 1857 would have had to face the ballot about 1808. I know nothing about him until he married in Newland, Glos. 1825. There is a man, same name from Dixton-Newton who joined the Monmouthshire Militia in 1809, transferred to the 56th Regiment in 1813. Have to check whether the 56th was at Waterloo (wasn't).

Still, an elder brother 1785 to 1848 joined the 90th Perthshire Volunteers (Light Infantry) and went to the West Indies in 1805. Took part in the capture of Martinique and Guadeloupe from the French. This is after Villeneuve sailed to the West Indies to draw Nelson away from the Channel (Where was the Channel Fleet and the North Sea Fleet?). He was in Canada during the war of 1812 against the U.S. Discharged due to ill health 1818.

This para from a genealogist employed by a cousin to take my researches back further. Only less than a generation due to date PR's commenced.

Added: 3rd Battalion, formed 1813 was in Holland in 1814 but not at Waterloo. Possibly part of the blocking force at Hal (10,000 men), in case we needed to do a runner if Boney got lucky.
Griffiths Llandogo, Mitcheltroy, Mon. and Whitchurch Here (Also Edwards),  18th C., Griffiths FoD 19th Century.