Author Topic: mary catherine o'shea  (Read 16583 times)

Offline bobstree

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: mary catherine o'shea
« Reply #9 on: Thursday 07 May 09 12:56 BST (UK) »
Brendan,
Thanks for your response.  How can I get a copy of this book?  Sounds like a great resource.  Sounds like a terrific story about your family and the CCC.  My grandmother was in Fayel from 1926 to 1950.  My mother was actually born there.  I'll have to ask my mother and grandmother if they remember your relative.  If he was in Horta during that time I am sure they would know them.  As I said my g-grandfather O'Shea ran CCC in the Azores and my g-uncle George Mackey ran the Western Union and ItalCable in the Azore as well. They did a lot of socializing.

As for the Keating book, do you know where I can get a copy?  I am also connected to the O'Donoghues.  My gg-grandfather Robert B. Mackey lived in Valentia and was married to Catherine Letitia O'Donoghue in 1868.  Robert was also involved in the cable Business.  He is listed as Robert B. Mackey Esq. in one of the old Directories of the day.

Any relation to Catherine.  She died in 1892 after having 9 children?

Looking forward to hearing back from you.

Bob

Offline Brendan Joseph

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Thursday 07 May 09 17:14 BST (UK) »
Hi Bob,

John Keating died last year, my kinsman Michael Keating (former Lord Mayor of Dublin) and Des Steele (Canada) inherited all John's research. Only problem they do not have copies of the book. You have to contact June Keating his cousin, she has copies, they are now like gold dust.

F Chevalier was the superintendant in Patrick Keatings time

http://www.cial.org.uk/white/GMbook/gmbook.htm

He left in 1912, I have been in touch with a member of the Mackay family in the US, I think there is still a Mackay living on Valentia, I was there in January. I do not think I am related to any O'Donoghues who lived on Valentia, my grand uncle Fr. Michael O'Donoghue was the PP in Knightstown for a number of years, there is a stained glass window in the church dedicated to him.

My first cousin Brian McCarthy of FEXCO, Killorglin now more or less runs Western Union worldwide. You can Google him.

Jimmy Hewison my fathers first cousin is still alive aged 90, his father Jack worked in CCC Waterville, Jimmy contributes to the CCC website, I am sure John Creland who runs the site would love to talk to you.

Brendan

(*) Moderator Comment: e-mail removed in accordance with RootsChat policy,
to avoid spamming and other abuses.
Please use the Personal Message (PM) system for exchanging personal data.

Offline Berni

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Thursday 07 May 09 20:13 BST (UK) »
hi brendan
patrick joseph keating was born 1886
he had a brother named jeremiah who he went to stay with when he arrived in america 1907
their fathers name was maurice keating and he was a butcher by trade.
O'Shea. Tailors of Caherciveen. Co Kerry Eire.
Dempsey. Bute dock police. Cardiff, Glamorganshire.
Cadden. Granard, Co Longford, Eire.
O'Brien. Cardiff, Glamorganshire.

Offline Brendan Joseph

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Thursday 07 May 09 22:14 BST (UK) »
Hi Berni,

Maurice the butcher was related to me, I have to work out how, I know he used to fatten sheep for the Cahirciveen market, and also that he used to supply meat to the workhouse in Bahaghs. From what I understand he was well respected and was a very charitable person.

Brendan

Offline Brendan Joseph

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Thursday 07 May 09 22:17 BST (UK) »
Hi Berni,

Ws Jeremiah born about 1872?

Brendan

Offline Berni

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Thursday 07 May 09 22:31 BST (UK) »
hi brendan
i have sent a link of this thread to the grand daughter of patrick joseph keating
i'm afraid apart from what i posted today about the keating's i have no further information
O'Shea. Tailors of Caherciveen. Co Kerry Eire.
Dempsey. Bute dock police. Cardiff, Glamorganshire.
Cadden. Granard, Co Longford, Eire.
O'Brien. Cardiff, Glamorganshire.

Offline Isky

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Friday 08 May 09 01:53 BST (UK) »
Hello, Brendan Joseph:  Berni clued me in that you are related to my grandfather Patrick Joseph Keating.  I really appreciated your sharing the information about Maurice, my great grandfather.  He sounds like he was a very good man.  I just registered with rootschat.com; so, perhaps we'll have more information as time goes by to share.  Sincerely, Isky

Offline Brendan Joseph

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Friday 08 May 09 09:18 BST (UK) »
Isky,

Can you tell me what you know about your Keating's I may be able to track which family line they are.

Brendan

Offline Isky

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Friday 08 May 09 11:55 BST (UK) »
Brendan:  Thank you for your offer to help with more info if possible.  Details are very sketchy.  Berni already told you when and how my grandfather came to the U.S.A.  He married my grandmother (a cousin or second cousin) he met in Boston -- Margaret Ann O'Shea also from Caherciveen.  Before my grandfather came to U.S.A. he lived for a while with a sister to help her with her children because the sister's husband had been sent out of Ireland because he was accused of being a terrorist!!!  I think the man was sent to either New Zealand or Australia.  My grandfather stayed with his brother Jeremiah Keating in Malden, Massachusetts, when he came here.  That is all I can tell you.  A cousin of mine indicated from information she gathered that my grandfather was born on Main Street in Caherciveen (possibly No. 72 or 109).  That's about all I have right now.  Isky