Author Topic: ROWSE/ROUSE/ROUS Family - Truro and local area  (Read 32421 times)

Offline daveb

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: ROWSE/ROUSE/ROUS Family - Truro and local area
« Reply #27 on: Thursday 07 April 11 19:51 BST (UK) »
Hello,

Of all the hundreds of my Ro(u)(w)ses I've never come across a "Grace" yet. Sorry

daveb
Rous, Rouse, Rowse, le Rous....
Warwickshire,Worcestershire,Gloucestershire,Oxfordshire
Sanderson....
Cumberland,Ontario

Offline Mowsehowse

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Thursday 07 April 11 20:46 BST (UK) »
Well please keep your eyes peeled because she IS out there somewhere!! ::)
BORCHARDT in Poland/Germany, BOSKOWITZ in Czechoslovakia, Hungary + Austria, BUSS in Baden, Germany + Switzerland, FEKETE in Hungary + Austria, GOTTHILF in Hammerstein + Berlin, GUBLER, GYSI, LABHARDT & RYCHNER in Switzerland, KONIG & KRONER in Germany, PLACZEK, WUNSCH & SILBERBERG in Poland.

Also: ROWSE in Brixham, Tenby, Hull & Ramsgate. Strongman, in Falmouth. Champion. Coke. Eame/s. Gibbons. Passmore. Pulsever. Sparkes in Brixham & Ramsgate. Toms in Cornwall. Waymoth. Wyatt.

Offline Rufulogica

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Thursday 07 April 11 22:43 BST (UK) »
Street's book, A Genealogy of the Rouses of Devon, lists twelve of the name of Grace Rou(w)se between 1557 and 1887.

Rufulogica.

Offline Mowsehowse

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Friday 08 April 11 07:54 BST (UK) »
Thank you.
BORCHARDT in Poland/Germany, BOSKOWITZ in Czechoslovakia, Hungary + Austria, BUSS in Baden, Germany + Switzerland, FEKETE in Hungary + Austria, GOTTHILF in Hammerstein + Berlin, GUBLER, GYSI, LABHARDT & RYCHNER in Switzerland, KONIG & KRONER in Germany, PLACZEK, WUNSCH & SILBERBERG in Poland.

Also: ROWSE in Brixham, Tenby, Hull & Ramsgate. Strongman, in Falmouth. Champion. Coke. Eame/s. Gibbons. Passmore. Pulsever. Sparkes in Brixham & Ramsgate. Toms in Cornwall. Waymoth. Wyatt.

Offline Mowsehowse

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Friday 08 April 11 18:54 BST (UK) »
I thought perhaps I should make a little more of this.......

I worked quite closely with John Street for the Brixham Rowse family chapter, as you will see from page 365.

It is his conclusion that the Grace Rowse born in Widdecombe in 1756 is the most likely candidate to be the mother of Edward Langman Rowse.

The original Overseers documents held at  the Devon County RO do have it that the pregnant Grace Rowse was a  was a "widow" although I  gather that particular word was used for any state of woman without a "husband" much as "spinster" was also used in various ways.

It is true that Grace  married Henry Beedle at Totnes in 1779 and then apparently left the area,  abandoning baby Edward.

Until I can find some word of her, post 1779, sadly, the end of the story will remain a mystery.

???

Offline red wing

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Saturday 07 January 12 11:33 GMT (UK) »
I have been researching my family of ROOSE from the Liskeard area for several years, but have hit a wall at John ROOSE & Dorothy MOONE marriage 18 June 1695. I cannot find their baptisms or parents. My only information is their children. Philip baptised 6 March 1695, the year following their marriage. John baptised 1698 and Cornelius baptised 23 Sep 1702. Their offspring moved via St Keyne, Duloe to Polperro where they stayed for over 200 years.
If the naming pattern is correct; Philip would be named after his paternal grandfather, John after his father, but Cornelius could be a brother to his father or his maternal grandfather(?). I think there could be a link with the Rous from Halton quay, but cannot find it. Any help or suggestions please?
Roose and derivations, Hocking, Kenshole

Offline Mowsehowse

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Sunday 08 January 12 11:46 GMT (UK) »
I have always suspected the Cornish & Devon Ro*ses to be connected way back - but I doubt I will ever prove it.

Good luck with your search; this site often produces amazing contacts!
 :)

Offline Purdie1972

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Friday 05 April 13 23:46 BST (UK) »
Hello
I've joined this forum only recently so I've only just seen this post. I'm descended from a William ROWSE (b.1790) and Jane ROSEVEAR from the St Austell area. I was wondering if they made an appearance on your tree at all?
Kind regards
Purdie
Researching:
Gallon/McKenzie/Donnison - Northumb.
Saxton/Brailsford/Bircumshaw/Fox/Ellis - Notts.
Bunt/Retallack/Rouse/Rowse/Solomon - Cornwall
Anderson/Jamieson/McArthur/Thomson - Edinburgh
Lewis - Berks./Oxon.
Williams/Walker - Glos.
Huckin - Oxon

Offline Mowsehowse

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: Saturday 06 April 13 07:22 BST (UK) »
William ROWSE (b.1790) and Jane ROSEVEAR from the St Austell area.....................

Sorry Purdie, not on our tree as yet,  :'(  but still hoping for a breakthrough one day
Good luck.