Author Topic: ROWSE/ROUSE/ROUS Family - Truro and local area  (Read 32414 times)

Offline screachwhear

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: ROWSE/ROUSE/ROUS Family - Truro and local area
« Reply #36 on: Sunday 26 February 17 10:30 GMT (UK) »
Hi a_j_m_

I also have the Harford / Plympton Rowses in my tree. I am descended from John Turpin Rowse b1747 and also John Turpin Rowse b1779 (brother of James Hele Rowse).

I couldn't find the paper trail of James Hele Rowse b1839 - the marriage you mentioned to Sarah Ann Rickard and their subsequent move to Canada. Can you point me to the source for this.

I am hoping to trace the origins of my distant cousins who emigrated from Devon.

Offline haddockinthekitchen

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: Thursday 06 July 17 12:38 BST (UK) »
Hello
I have a direct descendant called ELIZABETH ROUS OR ROWSE as it is sometimes written.
Born: in Edmerston, Devon
Marr: 27 Jul 1622 in Modbury, Devon
Buried: 9 Oct 1632
She married
Barnard FLAMANK OF
BOSCARNE
Bap: 27 Aug 1598 in Boscarne
Died 27th October 1658

Their marriage was celebrated in a shield which is now stored in Bodmin Museum and heres the link http://www.bbc.co.uk/ahistoryoftheworld/objects/zislk_AfRM21OI9fR6fHbw
The shield was part of a BBC programme called "Cornwall in 100 Objects" so it is viewed as typically Cornish.
They are my 10th great grandparents.
As I am following someone else's "tree" I am attempting to verify my direct ancestors, namely grandparents at this point, so have no details on siblings and parents for Elizabeth Rowse/ Rous at the moment.
You have her birth date and location, so this may be of help.
Walls of Kenn. Flamank of Boscarne, Courtenay, Aurelius.

Offline NJR2

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: Saturday 18 November 17 05:42 GMT (UK) »
I am stuck at Emanuel Rouse born in 1673, by most accounts in Smithfield, Rhode Island, but some claim Barbados, and some claim somewhere in Devonshire. He seems to have been married to a Ann Harris in Clyst Hydon, Devon in the 1690s, and she seems to have died in Rhode Island, but there is no record of it. It seems odd that they left England right around the time John Rouse of the Rye House Plot was executed. Some claim he is the son of one of the sugar planters of Barbados, Thomas Rouse in particular is often mentioned. This may simply be a modern contrivance based on the notion that Emanuel is sounds like it should be a Hispanic name when in fact it was fairly common among English Quakers and even Puritans.
   Some have also mentioned a John Rouse of Marshfield, however, that linage a pretty well-known and there is no Emanuel among them. Others have claimed a Thomas ‘Rose,’ however, DNA has just about proven that the Rouses and Roses are not closely related at all.
   I have heard that a book The Genealogy of the Rouses of Devon contains information about the Barbados branch which might confirm, or at least eliminate Thomas Rouse of that place. In America they tended to marry into old lines of Cookes, Greenes, Clarks, and Tripps, which trace back a long way in England.
   With many of my other lines claiming descent from Odin (seriously), having a roadblock on my direct paternal line is frustrating. Any help or advice is appreciated.

Offline Mowsehowse

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: Saturday 18 November 17 07:33 GMT (UK) »
Hello NJR2.  I do own a copy of John Street's remarkable "Genealogy" though it saddens me to report there is no Emanuel in the index.  However there is as you know, a lengthy chapter devoted to Barbados with a Thomas in every tree, so I am sure we can work on this..... where do you want me to start precisely?
BORCHARDT in Poland/Germany, BOSKOWITZ in Czechoslovakia, Hungary + Austria, BUSS in Baden, Germany + Switzerland, FEKETE in Hungary + Austria, GOTTHILF in Hammerstein + Berlin, GUBLER, GYSI, LABHARDT & RYCHNER in Switzerland, KONIG & KRONER in Germany, PLACZEK, WUNSCH & SILBERBERG in Poland.

Also: ROWSE in Brixham, Tenby, Hull & Ramsgate. Strongman, in Falmouth. Champion. Coke. Eame/s. Gibbons. Passmore. Pulsever. Sparkes in Brixham & Ramsgate. Toms in Cornwall. Waymoth. Wyatt.

Offline Mowsehowse

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: Saturday 18 November 17 09:07 GMT (UK) »
Hello
I have a direct descendant called ELIZABETH ROUS OR ROWSE as it is sometimes written.
Born: in Edmerston, Devon
Marr: 27 Jul 1622 in Modbury, Devon
Buried: 9 Oct 1632
She married
Barnard FLAMANK OF
BOSCARNE
Bap: 27 Aug 1598 in Boscarne
Died 27th October 1658

Their marriage was celebrated in a shield which is now stored in Bodmin Museum and heres the link http://www.bbc.co.uk/ahistoryoftheworld/objects/zislk_AfRM21OI9fR6fHbw
The shield was part of a BBC programme called "Cornwall in 100 Objects" so it is viewed as typically Cornish.
They are my 10th great grandparents.

I am just looking at this post....
You are looking for "details on siblings and parents for Elizabeth Rowse/ Rous"??

According to John Street's "Genealogy:
Her parents were Ambrose Rous of Edmerston who married Magdalen Osborne daug of Peter Osborne of "Chicksand Priory" Ampthill, Beds.

They had numbers of children:
Anne born & died 1588
Thomas
Magdalen m 1616 Daniel Coteele
William m 1617 Mary Robartes
George
Mary m Joseph Symons
Thomas
Katherine m 1617 Francis Wills
John m Mary
Ralph 1604 -1606
Anthony 1606 - 1660
Anne m 1633 John Ashford
Ambrose 1608 - 1654 m1636 Martha Ball dau of Thomas Ball of Chudleigh.

That is what the big book says.....
BORCHARDT in Poland/Germany, BOSKOWITZ in Czechoslovakia, Hungary + Austria, BUSS in Baden, Germany + Switzerland, FEKETE in Hungary + Austria, GOTTHILF in Hammerstein + Berlin, GUBLER, GYSI, LABHARDT & RYCHNER in Switzerland, KONIG & KRONER in Germany, PLACZEK, WUNSCH & SILBERBERG in Poland.

Also: ROWSE in Brixham, Tenby, Hull & Ramsgate. Strongman, in Falmouth. Champion. Coke. Eame/s. Gibbons. Passmore. Pulsever. Sparkes in Brixham & Ramsgate. Toms in Cornwall. Waymoth. Wyatt.

Offline Adamoz73

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: Thursday 12 September 19 07:17 BST (UK) »
Hi, I am new to this but was wondering if you could help.  I am looking to trace my family line back as far as I can, and from what i have found my great, great grandfather William Rowse lived in Australia (where I am from) in 1861 in Creswick Victoria because he had a son there William Giles Rowse.  He was married to Mary Jane Giles.  I don’t know if he was born in Aus or came from somewhere else.  I was wondering if anyone new this or even when the first Rowse’s came to Aus and where they were from.  Thanks Adam

Offline Mowsehowse

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: Thursday 12 September 19 07:54 BST (UK) »
Hi, I am new to this but was wondering if you could help.  I am looking to trace my family line back as far as I can, and from what i have found my great, great grandfather William Rowse lived in Australia (where I am from) in 1861 in Creswick Victoria because he had a son there William Giles Rowse.  He was married to Mary Jane Giles.  I don’t know if he was born in Aus or came from somewhere else.  I was wondering if anyone new this or even when the first Rowse’s came to Aus and where they were from.  Thanks Adam

Sorry to say I can find no mention of William Giles Rowse in John Street's "Genealogy of the Rouses of Devon".