Author Topic: ASTON/ASTONS of Glamorganshire and Monmouthshire 19th and 18th Century  (Read 13253 times)

Offline Ceidwad Goleudy

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
ASTON/ASTONS of Glamorganshire and Monmouthshire 19th and 18th Century
« on: Sunday 18 January 09 15:52 GMT (UK) »
My great granddad was William Henry Aston born in Pontnewyndd, Trevethin, Monmouthshire and baptized on the 27th February 1859. He married Louisa Ann Davies in 1881 and they moved to Penrhys, Glamorgan. William's siblings were Elizabeth born 1854, Joseph born 1857, Mary Jane born 1861 and Ann Maria born 1863. Mary Jane was born in Abersychan while the others were born in Trevethin.

William's father was Joseph Aston and he was born in Pentrebach, Merthyr Tydfil, Glamorgan and baptized on the 30th January 1814 at St. Tydfil Parish Church, Merthyr Tydfil. On the 13th May 1855 at Llanhilleth Parish Church, Monmouthshire he married a Jane Williams (who later went on to marry a William Burland).

Joseph was a widower when he married Jane and was listed as a forge agent in Trevethin, Pontnewyndd, Monmouthshire. On the marriage certificate his father was listed as a James Aston and he too was listed as a forge agent.

By searching different censuses and following a few assumptions I believe that Joseph's father was a James Astons born in Merthyr Tydfil, Glamorgan and baptized on the 30th January 1786 at St. Tydfil Parish Church, Merthyr Tydfil, Glamorgan. I also believe Joseph may have had an older brother William Astons born about 1810. This James Astons married an Ann Smith on the 18th August 1803 at Merthyr Tydfil but I'm unsure if they are my Aston family.

I found my great great granddad Joseph Aston in the 1851 census at Trevethin but he was listed as a Joseph Astons and he was married to an Ann born about 1809 in Risca, Monmouthshire. Their children were Maria born 1834, James born 1839, William born 1842, George born 1844 and Samuel born 1850. All their children were born in Monmouthshire.

Up until 1855 Joseph Aston was a forge agent in Trevethin but in the 1861 census for Trevethin he was recorded as the inn keeper of the Railway Inn. In the BMD index I believe I found his death registered with Pontypool in the Oct/Nov/Dec section for 1864.

That is as far as I've got with researching the Aston family. Hopefully this may be of help to anyone also researching the Aston/s family.

Regards,

Goleudy
Armstrong - Broseley, Shropshire

Aston - Broseley, Shropshire
            Ystrad Rhondda, Glamorgan
            Pontnewyndd, Trevethin, Monmouthshire
            Pentrebach, Merthyr Tydfil, Glamorgan

Bebb - Treorchy, Glamorgan
           Tredegar, Monmouthshire
           Llanbrynmair, Montgomeryshire

Davies - Roch, Haverfordwest,
              Lambston and
              Maenclochog, Pembrokeshire

Offline Doublecourt

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: ASTON/ASTONS of Glamorganshire and Monmouthshire 19th and 18th Century
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 17 February 09 16:02 GMT (UK) »
Hello,

I am descended from William Henry's brother Joseph! I have the same information as you, and a bit more. The Aston family moved to Merthyr from Broseley, Shropshire. They were ironworkers and moved with the Ironmaster since they were skilled labour between 1784 and 1786. I believe James's parents were Samuel and Rachel (nee Armstrong/Armishrew) from Broseley. James was their first child to be born in Merthyr.

I have traced the Armstrong line back through the Broseley registers online, but the Astons are harder since there are a few possible baptisms to choose from. The Armstrongs or Armishrews are probably descendants of the new settlers to Broseley in the early seventeenth century. Who knows where they came from..

James wrote a Will, leaving the Inn and other cottages to his family. I think he must have worked his way up from a Roller in Pen y Darren ironworks to a Forge Agent and so cold afford property. Joseph also left a Will.

Joseph bn 1857 moved to Lancashire presumably for work. He became a coal miner. His daughter is my Great Grandmother, so we are distantly related..

Offline antwnsaint

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 20 April 11 15:25 BST (UK) »
Hello,

I am interested in knowing more about the Aston family, photos, etc.

I am descended from Joseph Aston (via one of his daughters Sarah Jane), born 18 Apr 1857; he's my great-great-grandfather. 

He was baptized again as follows (from the Lancashire online parish clerk project):

Baptisms: 14 Sep 1893 St James, Haydock, Lancashire, England
Joseph Aston - Child of Joseph Aston & Jane
    Born: 18 Apr 1857
    Abode: Powtenwydd N Wales [sic]
    Notes: [P in margin]
    Baptised by: C. E. Bowden Vicar
    Register: Baptisms 1877 - 1899, Page 211, Entry 1682
    Source: LDS Film 1885722

For the baptisms of his children, Collier/Miner is listed as occupation.  (There is no gravestone for Joseph at St James, I was shown the plot by the minister.)

I have other information to share and would be grateful for any other information re: Aston descendants.

Aston: Monmouthshire, Haydock, Broseley
Walker: Flintshire, Anglesey, Lancaster
Manchester: Lancashire
O'Neill: Ireland
Harrison: Warrington, Earlestown
McHale: Scotland, Manchester

Offline Doublecourt

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 20 April 11 16:55 BST (UK) »
I am also descended from Joseph via his daughter Leah Aston bn 1882. Joseph is my gt gt grandfather too. That makes us 3rd cousins I think!

I have traced the Astons back to Broseley in Shropshire via Merthyr Tydfil and Pontnewynyd. I guess you have done the same? If not then I can help you out there!

I might have the odd photo of Leah at family weddings. Maybe one of Joseph, but I'll have to check.

Why would you get baptised again?

Offline antwnsaint

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 21 April 11 09:35 BST (UK) »
Hi

Thanks for your reply. 

I have created a pdf chart of Joseph Aston (1857) and his descendants (of which I'm aware), which shows you what I know, but I am new to this site, so I don't know what's the best way to send/upload, etc.  Can you help?

Also, I have a photos of Leah's sisters Gladys and Sarah Jane to upload if you are interested, I would greatly appreciate any photos of the Aston family.

I can only presume he (Joseph) was baptized again because either (a) he wanted to renew his faith or (b) he wasn't sure if he was baptized, and the priest CE Bowden at St James was more insistent than most.

Offline Berlin-Bob

• Caretaker
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 21 April 11 09:53 BST (UK) »
Hi Antwnsaint,

Welcome to RootsChat :)

I have created a pdf chart of [...] but I am new to this site, so I don't know what's the best way to send/upload, etc.  Can you help?
This might help:
http://www.rootschat.com/help/posting.php
and
Topic: Adding images to Posting & Profiles
http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php/topic,130922.0.html

You can add images and PDF files as attachments to a reply.  Or you can send other members your e-mail address using the Private Message (PM) system.
http://www.rootschat.com/help/pms.php

regards,
Bob
Any UK Census Data included in this post is Crown Copyright (see: www.nationalarchives.gov.uk)

Offline antwnsaint

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 21 April 11 12:59 BST (UK) »
Here is the chart for Joseph Aston's [Born 1857] descendants, and a photo of Gladys Aston, Leah's sister, as mentioned in my PM.

Offline Doublecourt

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 21 April 11 13:20 BST (UK) »
Thanks, there's loads of stuff I haven't got there.

I've got loads more to send you for when you are back online. By the way, you've got the Harry Burrows line wrong. He married Edna Hughes and had Susan, Janet and Steven Burrows. Susan is my mum.

Speak to you in a few days.

Jody

Offline antwnsaint

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 21 April 11 14:23 BST (UK) »
Hi Jody

Thanks for your reply and information.

I got the following from St Marks, Haydock (it's not online or on microfilm, records are kept in the church only - so far), were there 2 Henry/Harry Burrows and Ednas in the same area, do you know?  Is the address significant?

Myra, daughter of Henry and Edna Burrows, 287 Liverpool Road, engineering lecturer.  Minister - Sidney Billingham. 1938
Linda, daughter of Henry and Edna Burrows, 287 Liverpool Road, engineering lecturer.  Minister - S. Billingham. 1945