Author Topic: ASTON/ASTONS of Glamorganshire and Monmouthshire 19th and 18th Century  (Read 13252 times)

Offline jdhtyler

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: ASTON/ASTONS of Glamorganshire and Monmouthshire 19th and 18th Century
« Reply #9 on: Friday 07 June 13 10:18 BST (UK) »
Hi
I can see this is an old thread from 2009, hope some one reads this ?

Very interesting background info about the Aston family.

I have been looking at
Sarah Aston / Poulsom / Pitt
Birth Apr 1854 in Pontypool, Monmouthshire, Wales

She was never in a census with her parents but with her (gran just a guess) "Diana Perkins" even when she marries and almost next door to her Dad.

[last time I looked there were duplicate census pages for this area on Ancestry]

She may have been 16y when she married on,
25 Dec 1870 
Frances Henry Poulsom, X, 28, B, miner, Cwmbran.
Father Henry Poulsom, labr
to
Sarah Aston, 20, S, Cwmbran.
Father Joseph Aston, railway inspector
Wit:-Wm Burton, Elizth Aston

See census 1871 quite interesting but badly transcribed.

I did wonder is the witness may have been a typo and should be "William Burland" who was the husband of the widow "Jane Aston"

Also I think Sarah may have been the last daughter of Ann who was the first wife of Joseph Aston. Not sure what happens to Ann and the other children ?

You can see what I have found with this link, it may not work unless you have an account.
http://trees.ancestry.co.uk/tree/29123414/person/12137094318

We have always wondered why she remarried W G Pitt who was a lot younger than her and a former lodger (he was younger than some of her children) we guess it may have been for financial reasons. It was difficult to investigate since they both fibbed about their ages and then WG Pitt married again a lot later to another Sarah.

all for now.

Offline Doublecourt

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Friday 07 June 13 18:06 BST (UK) »
Hi..

Thanks for your message..

We struggled to work out what happened to Joseph's first family, but it seems almost certain that his first wife emigrated to America and took her children with her, hence their complete disappearance. She remarried and had more children, whilst Joseph married Jane, claiming to be a Widower!

It might be that Sarah was in fact a child of Jane's, before they were married. I don't know when Ann left for Pensylvania... but obviously before May 1855 when Jospeh and Jane were married.. J and J could easily have had an illegitimate child before that date.. Jane's maiden name was Williams. It might be worth getting hold of Sarah's birth certificate..

A descendant of Ann discovered her in 1860 US Census, now as Ann Wallace, with new husband William, and three of her children, William, George and Samuel, plus Alison Wallace aged 6, who was born in Pensylvania, so they must have arrived there by 1854.. Ann's maiden name was Israel and I believe she may have used this name in the US..

This is what the above descendant wrote..

'Hi. I just obtained a copy of my great grandfather's death certificate which listed his mother was being named Anne Israel from Wales. My great grandfather's name was Samuel Aston. He was born in Monmouthshire about 1850 and immigrated with his mother Anne and siblings to Scranton, Pennsylvania USA. His father might have been named Joseph Aston. I am trying to find out more information about Anne Israel and what happened to Joseph Aston, her first husband. After Anne came to America she married William Wallace in Pennsylvania. Any information about the Israel family in Monmouthshire, Wales is greatly appreciated.'):
http://boards.ancestry.co.uk/thread.aspx?mv=flat&m=413&p=surnames.israel

Offline jdhtyler

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Saturday 08 June 13 08:39 BST (UK) »
Hi Doublecourt

Many thanks for your reply, I did guess that she may have left with the children or succumbed to illness with her children, but could not find any records to support this.

I am sure that you know all the info below, I just hope this may be of interest to others.

I had seen references to Anne's family, I think one of her sons but that was over a year ago and since I could not be sure I did not investigate further.

Interesting to note about possibility of Sarah's mother being Anne (Ann) or Jane is that she has 9 children and two of them Emily Jane abt1872 and Annie Maria abt 1878 . However Ann Maria Aston was in the house with Sarah in c1871... I guess we will never be sure of the circumstance for Sarah's birth.

Sarah lived with Diana Perkins (abt 1800 in Harfordwest, Pembrokeshire) most of her life and in c1871 states Grandmother (? term of endearment) I did look for Diana in census 1841 and 51 but no luck.
Just had a look and there are still TWO 1871 census records for the family when she was married
Sarah Pulsond & Deaival Perkins /// Sarah Ponlsend & Deanah Perkins

Sarah is next door to Jane Burland who was Joseph Aston's 2nd wife who then remarried William Burland.

A very complicated family and Sarah's life was even more complex in  1904 when she married WG Pitt and he went on to have children with another Sarah. It would be interesting to know more about the first wife Sarah, she will be in the 1921 census but who else will be in the house ? we will just have to wait.

I would like to thank everyone who posted on this topic.

J&L

Offline TONYZEBRA

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Sunday 02 November 14 10:15 GMT (UK) »
As a Great grandson of William Henry Aston, I have been trying to find some past history of the family. But until my son found this blog, I have been facing a stone wall. I now seem to know the reason why. According to William Henry Aston's birth certificate his mothers maiden name is listed as Jane Perkins, but I note that two years prior to  Williams birth his father Joseph married a Jane Williams, and it is mentioned above that she is Williams mother. Please can anybody help in providing any information in respect of this. Is  Jane Perkins in fact Jane Williams. I would be vary grateful if somebody could help.

Offline sarah

• Administrator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • RootsChat Co-Founder
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Wednesday 05 November 14 13:41 GMT (UK) »
Hi Tony,

A huge welcome to RootsChat.

I am very sorry to say that we have been unable to get your message to Ceidwad Goleudy as sadly there email address has stopped working.

I have googled his eddress and some family names but I have been unable to discover an alternative way of contacting them.  Ceidwad Goleudy is a profile name that translates to Lighthouse keeper.

Sometime's old members do get back intouch and I do hope that this will be the case.

It may be worth starting off a "new topic" with the added information you have to see what more you can find out.

Regards

Sarah :)
For Help on how to post an Image on RootsChat
http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=459330.0

If you have been helped on RootsChat be sure to spread the word!

UK Census info. Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Ceidwad Goleudy

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Tuesday 19 January 16 16:51 GMT (UK) »
Hi Sarah and Tony,

I've only just seen your posts. My email address was non-contactable as it had been hacked. I gained a new email address and that too was hacked! That was the reason you were unable to contact me. Sorry about that. Hopefully this latest email address will remain secure.

I also haven't visited this site recently either. I put my family research on hold for a while as I thought I'd researched as far back as I could be sure of with my ancestral line.

I remember the research seemed unusual at the time, with the missing first family as mentioned by Doublecourt in this thread and the marriage of Jane Williams (Joseph's widow) to William Burland before the next census return.

Regards,

Goleudy
Armstrong - Broseley, Shropshire

Aston - Broseley, Shropshire
            Ystrad Rhondda, Glamorgan
            Pontnewyndd, Trevethin, Monmouthshire
            Pentrebach, Merthyr Tydfil, Glamorgan

Bebb - Treorchy, Glamorgan
           Tredegar, Monmouthshire
           Llanbrynmair, Montgomeryshire

Davies - Roch, Haverfordwest,
              Lambston and
              Maenclochog, Pembrokeshire

Offline sarah

• Administrator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • RootsChat Co-Founder
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Tuesday 19 January 16 17:01 GMT (UK) »
Yeay ! Welcome back Goleudy :D

Sarah
For Help on how to post an Image on RootsChat
http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=459330.0

If you have been helped on RootsChat be sure to spread the word!

UK Census info. Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Ceidwad Goleudy

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Tuesday 19 January 16 23:01 GMT (UK) »
Thank you Sarah.  :D
Armstrong - Broseley, Shropshire

Aston - Broseley, Shropshire
            Ystrad Rhondda, Glamorgan
            Pontnewyndd, Trevethin, Monmouthshire
            Pentrebach, Merthyr Tydfil, Glamorgan

Bebb - Treorchy, Glamorgan
           Tredegar, Monmouthshire
           Llanbrynmair, Montgomeryshire

Davies - Roch, Haverfordwest,
              Lambston and
              Maenclochog, Pembrokeshire

Offline Doublecourt

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Thursday 22 November 18 19:53 GMT (UK) »
Long time no do any family history! If any of you are still following this line...

There was mention of the name Perkins being the Grandmother of Sarah Aston bn abt 1842/54. this is an in correct assumption. In the Census of 1871, it is the head of the house all people are related to.. so she would be the grandmother of Henry Poulsom, not sarah. I didn't really understand where the information came regarding who Sarah grew up with. I see from the 1861 Census, that Joseph has a servant with a surname of Perkins. 

Sarah is most certainly a child of Joseph Aston and Jane Williams as she is listed as such in Joseph's Will. Anna Maria is certainly Sarah's little sister, but in the Census, there is often no distinction made between sister and sister in law or step sister, hence the confusion. Hope that helps.

Joseph's first wife had another child in 1854 in Pensylvannia. She had taken the three youngest Aston children with her so unlikely that Sarah is hers. Bearing in mind there was no such thing as divorce, I suspect Joseph and Jane felt they could not marry too soon. He lied, saying he was a widower, in 1855.

I expect Sarah married young because she had no father to look after her, only a step father.

Finally.. the references to Henry Burrows and Edna Burrows.. they are not on my tree. My grandparents were Harry and Edna, not Henry and did not have children with those names.

Any news folks?