Author Topic: Help reading great-granny's handwriting please  (Read 10134 times)

Offline honeypots

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Help reading great-granny's handwriting please
« Reply #27 on: Monday 10 May 10 18:38 BST (UK) »
Hi I have just discovered your posts about Reginald Vereker Prendergast. He is a relation of mine and I would like to make contact with you. I am new to this and hope this is the way to chat to you.

Offline JustinL

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Monday 10 May 10 18:57 BST (UK) »
Hello and welcome rootschat (rc).

I am assuming that RVP was simply a friend of my grandfather; there was certainly no famial relationship.

How you tried a search of the rc archives for Prendergast? Simply click on search in the toolbar at the top of the page and enter Prendergast into the left-hand box.

You can also add Rangoon and/or Burma.

I would also advise you to start a new separate thread in the beginners section. Put the name Prendergast in the topic/thread title. Better still, add a link to this topic.

Do you know whether RVP attended the Merchant Taylors school in Charterhouse?

Justin

Offline honeypots

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Tuesday 11 May 10 18:34 BST (UK) »
Hi Justin
Thanks for your reply and advice. I was delighted at the interest shown in Reginald Vereker Prendergast by you and others. As far as I know he did not attend Merchant Taylor's. In the 1901 census he is shown as a pupil at Inholmes School Cheltenham Gloucester. The family lived in Paddington, so perhaps he was a friend of your family. Good luck with your research.
Honeypots

Offline JustinL

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Tuesday 11 May 10 21:35 BST (UK) »
He would have been at Merchant Taylors somewhat later probably - 13 to 18 years old - if at all.

My family had lived in Paddington since 1896, when they returned from South Africa. In 1901, they were living in Sutherland Avenue.

Offline honeypots

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Wednesday 12 May 10 18:33 BST (UK) »
Hi Justin. Thanks. I have tried searching Merchant Taylors for old alumni but they do not seem to have any information on line. If I manage to trace Reginald Vereker there I will let you know. Have you been contacted by any relatives or descendents at all? They are quite a difficult family to pin down. Thanks to your input I managed to find him in the  1911 census wrongly transcribee as Bradergast!
Honeypots

Offline George Shaw

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Sunday 05 August 12 18:20 BST (UK) »
What a cracking thread. I hope you don't mind a slight digression, but I too am very interested in Reginald Vereker Prendergast, particularly the person he married.

Reginald was born 12 August 1890 in Rangoon, Bengal, India. He married Mary Elizabeth Eckersley on 4 October 1924, in Bombay. Mary had been previously married to Walter Herbert Eckersley who had died in a tragic accident in 1919.

Mary and Reginald eventually moved back to the UK and settled in Scarborough where they both died, Reginald in 1952 and Mary five years later in 1957. I'm expecting to get a photograph of the grave (if indeed there is a stone) sometime very soon.

I would be delighted to hear more from anyone who can assist me in my search for information and memorabilia.
(Generally, LEIGH, LANCS)

BOWDEN (Solicitors & Estate Agents)
ECKERSLEY (Cotton Spinners)
HIGENBOTTAM (Brewery)
LECOMBER (Engineer)
SHAW (Brewery)

Offline Godfrey Harrison

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Wednesday 16 August 17 10:22 BST (UK) »
Maybe I can add a little more.   My great-aunt, Betsy Jane Pendlebury, was born in 1854 and married George Shaw at the Church of St Cynfarch and Mary, Llanfair DC, Ruthin, North Wales in July 1883 and lived at Pennington Hall, Leigh.   They had two sons, William and Frank, and a daughter Mary Elizabeth who was born on 20th October 1884.   Mary Elizabeth married Walter Herbert Eckersley, who was born on 7th April 1875, on 6th January 1904.   Mary was widowed on 28th August 1919 when Walter was involved in a tragic accident.   There were no children.   I hope this helps.

Offline George Shaw

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Wednesday 22 November 17 19:52 GMT (UK) »
A belated reply but I did promise to post images of the final resting place of Mary and Reginald. They are buried At Woodlands Cemetery, Woodlands Drive, Scarborough.
(Generally, LEIGH, LANCS)

BOWDEN (Solicitors & Estate Agents)
ECKERSLEY (Cotton Spinners)
HIGENBOTTAM (Brewery)
LECOMBER (Engineer)
SHAW (Brewery)