Author Topic: Help reading great-granny's handwriting please  (Read 10165 times)

Offline Aniseed

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright
    • View Profile
Re: Help reading great-granny's handwriting please
« Reply #9 on: Monday 19 January 09 14:03 GMT (UK) »
Great find JAP for Arthur Frederick Claude Vereker PRENDERGAST!

General Harry Prendergast was present both in India, and in Burma too - he seemed to be quite important in the action in the Third Burmese War.

See here http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Harry_Prendergast

Offline JAP

• RootsChat Leaver
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Monday 19 January 09 15:12 GMT (UK) »
One has to suspect that Mabel might be the mother of Reginald V ...
I guess if Justin is keen to trace Reginald, it might be worth looking for Mabel and Lancelot in the 1911 just in case there are some clues ...

FreeBMD has a marriage of a Gerald Neill PRENDERGAST with a Mabel (Mabel Mary RILEY) on the same page - but not until Dec 1903.
In 1881, Gerald Neill PRENDERGAST, age 19, born Ireland, was a Gentleman Cadet at Sandhurst.
In 1891, Gerald N PRENDERGAST, age recorded as 39 (surely an error for 29), born Ireland, a Captain in the Kings Royal Rifles was in the household of his father, a Colonel PRENDERGAST.

There are some PRENDERGAST trees on the Web - not very informative. 

There seem to have been a few PRENDERGASTs in Burma ...
In the 1881 there's a Mary K PRENDERGAST, Wife of an Officer, with a son and two daughters - two of these were born in India, and one in Burma.

JAP

Offline Aniseed

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Monday 19 January 09 16:03 GMT (UK) »
I've just looked for Mabel and Lancelot C. Prendergast on the 1911 census, and couldn't find either of them, but I didn't use any variant spellings.

I've found a marriage for Lancelot C. Prendergast to Eileen A.S. Milward in Malling Kent, Jul-Sep 1927 Malling 2a 2217. There's a marriage for Reginald (no middle initial) Prendergast to Sylvia Mabel Kirkpatrick Apr-Jun 1901 Isle of Wight, Hampshire 2b 1366. Perhaps that's Lancelot's parents, although Lancelot would have been born before they were married.

No death for either Lancelot C., Reginal V., or Mabel on the incomplete death index on ancestry, but they may simply have died after the index has got up to.

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Monday 19 January 09 16:42 GMT (UK) »

I've found a marriage for Lancelot C. Prendergast to Eileen A.S. Milward in Malling Kent, Jul-Sep 1927 Malling 2a 2217. There's a marriage for Reginald (no middle initial) Prendergast to Sylvia Mabel Kirkpatrick Apr-Jun 1901 Isle of Wight, Hampshire 2b 1366.

I found quite a bit on the Isle of Wight Kirkpatrick/Prendergasts when I was searching - it would be either The London Gazette or the Nat Archive site.

I'll see if I can find it again.

Gadget

Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

***Restorers - Please do not use my restores without my permission. Thanks***

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Monday 19 January 09 16:48 GMT (UK) »
Here it is:

http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/A2A/records.aspx?cat=189-kpk&cid=-1&Gsm=2008-06-18#-1

Not sure if it's the same family but may as well put it in the pot  :)

Gadget
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

Offline Aniseed

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Monday 19 January 09 18:29 GMT (UK) »
That’s interesting, Gadget. Since the heir to the estate was Reginald Prendergast, it looks likely that it is the right family, at least the family of the Reginal Prendergast who married Sylvia Mabel Kirkpatrick. We don’t know if he was the father of Reginald Vereker Prendergast.

I looked in the census for a Reginald Prendergast and the only other one that came up was this one...

1871 Class RG10 Piece 104 Folio 33 Page 14 Reginald Prendergast age 7 born Northamptonshire, older brothers born in Ireland and Scotland father Lenor Prendergast and Marion. 22 Grosvenor Garden.

1881 Class RG11 Piece 98 Folio 123 Page 22 Reginald Prendergast (transcribed as Pymold) age 17, scholar, born in Harleston, Northamptonshire. Son of Lennre and Marion Prendergast. Lennre is a Lieut Col MP late Royal Scots Greys active. 22 Grosvensor Gdns.

1891 ClassRG12 Piece 72 Folio 25 Page 3 Reginald Prendergast age 27 born in Northamptonshire, Harleston. He is a Manufacturer (Silver). Son of Lenox and Marion. Lenox is a Colonel late Royal Scots Greys. 22 Grosvenor Gardens.

1901 Class RG13 Piece 85 Folio 31 Page 6 Reginald Prendergast age 37 born in Warburton Northampton. He is living on his own means. Son of Colonel Prendergast and Marion. 22 Grovenor Gdns.

If you Google Lenox Prendergast you come up with the family history here http://www.links.org/links-cgi/readged?/home/ben/camilla-genealogy/current+c-prendergast116+2-5-0-1-0

If you click on Reginald in the list of descendants it says he is of the Isle of Wight, which sounds encouraging. BUT, how do we get from him to Reginald Vereker Prendergast who was born in 1891, way before Reginald married Sylvia Mabel. Did he have a first marriage, maybe in Burma, which didn’t show up in the English BMDs?

Edited to add, I just realised that's Reginald is pretty well accounted for in all of the censuses, which only leaves him the 10 year gaps in between to pop off to Burma, get married and father a couple of children. I'm thinking that this probably isn't the right man.

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Monday 19 January 09 19:42 GMT (UK) »
I've not found any births in the Consular returns so far but will have another go later.

Another question is why he was a visitor at the Levy's in 1911. Was he a friend of the family or distant relative or ...?

The medal card states under correspondence:

'Dir Gen of Ord in India fwds claim to 1915 star - 11.3.20'

R V Prendergast was a Lieutenant. in the RFA. Theatre of war entered - Mesopotania - 6.7. 15

Nothing else on the Medalcard and nothing, so far, on any of the other service records. He didn't come up when I searched the CWGC site  :(

Gadget

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Monday 19 January 09 20:02 GMT (UK) »
Another reference, again without the middle name, that might be him:

Passengers leaving the UK -

Reginald Prendergast, aged 39, leaving Liverpool for Bombay on 9 November 1928. Married. Occupation - Indian Ordinance. Accompanied by Mary Prendergast, aged 41.. 

The age roughly approximates with the 1911.

Gadget

Offline JenB

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Monday 19 January 09 20:21 GMT (UK) »
R V Prendergast was a Lieutenant. in the RFA. Theatre of war entered - Mesopotania - 6.7. 15

Here's a link to the London Gazette of January 1916, confirming the appointment of Reginald Vereker Prendergast to the rank of second Lieutenant in the Royal Field Artillery.
http://www.gazettes-online.co.uk/issues/29456/supplements/1227

And appointed 2nd lieutenant (on probation) in 1915 which ties up with the date Gadget gave above. http://www.gazettes-online.co.uk/issues/29118/pages/3254
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk