Author Topic: Jane FLETCHER, Orleton 1786  (Read 5375 times)

Offline cispt2

• RootsChat Member
  • HALL of Fenstanton
    • View Profile
Jane FLETCHER, Orleton 1786
« on: Monday 19 January 09 21:09 GMT (UK) »
Looking for any possible info from baptism of Jane Fletcher in 1786, dau. of Richard and Tabitha - fathers occupation, whether they resided in Orleton, etc.. A number of siblings may have been born according to IGI, but i'm not aware of her fate.

Any info on the marriage of Richard Fletcher to Tabitha Lloyd, 1778 at Orleton, also greatly appreciated.

Jane was sentenced to death in 1803 for murdering her 'new born bastard child', however an error in sentencing meant she was reprived and transported to Ausrtalia instead. I don't have any particulars on the trial, however her mother was accused but found to not be guilty of assisting.

thanks
matt
Banfield, Ewer, Staniland, Hall, Border, Quinane, Conlon, Alleyn, Moloney

Offline raffinfun

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Jane FLETCHER, Orleton 1786
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 31 December 11 07:03 GMT (UK) »
I have been vaguely researching this family.  She married a "Third Fleet" Convict - Rowland John Edwards in Australia and a daughter, Annie Marie Edwards B 1808 then married an Edward John Ewer, also convict, in Australia.  I have only found this from other people's family trees, so you will need to do further research to follow this up.  My interest is a descendant by the name of Roy Denning who married my aunt.   Hope this is of help to you.  Regards, Kirsten

Offline Wiggy

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • coloured by Gadget
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 31 December 11 08:54 GMT (UK) »
Hi Matt,

I wonder if you ever got any further with this search - I see you posted two years ago - nearly three in fact!!

Did you find the extracted entry in Family Search for

Tabitha Lloyd  marriage to Richard Fletcher 5 Jul 1778.    Orleton Herefordshire.

There is an extracted entry for Jane's birth 11 Jun 1786.  Orleton

There is also a daughter Mary born            14 Jan 1781.  Orleton

Wiggy   :)

Gaunt, Ransom, McNally, Stanfield, Kimberley. (Tasmania)
Brown, Johnstone, Eskdale, Brand  (Dumfriesshire,  Scotland)
Booth, Bruerton, Deakin, Wilkes, Kimberley
(Warwicks, Staffords)
Gaunt (Yorks)
Percy, Dunning, Hyne, Grigg, Farley (Devon, UK)
Duncan (Fife, Devon), Hugh, Blee (Cornwall)
Green, Mansfield, (Herts)
Cavenaugh, Ransom (Middlesex)

Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.

Offline garstonite

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 31 December 11 09:40 GMT (UK) »
For the record Tabitha Lloyd was christened in Orleton on 18th June 1745 - parents were Richard and Joan Lloyd....so she was 32/33 when she married ..

Richard and Tabitha also had a son Richard Fletcher christened 29th june 1783 in Orleton ...and their firstborn was
John Fletcher christened 12th september 1778 - 7 weeks after they married
allan
oakes,liverpool..neston..backford..poulton cum spittal(bebington)middlewich,cheshire......   sacht,helgoland  .......merrick,herefordshire adams,shropshire...tipping..ellis..  jones,garston,liverpool..hartley.dunham massey..barker. salford

Offline cispt2

• RootsChat Member
  • HALL of Fenstanton
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 31 December 11 18:02 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for those details. I had done some work on IGI, and will try and get it all up on my blog eventually. Jane's sentencing is here at my blog:
http://thehistoryofmatt.blogspot.com/2011/02/sentencing-of-jane-fletcher-1786-1832.html

Also on-line I found monumental inscription indexes, and Jane's parents Richard and Tabitha are buried at Orleton in 1825 and 1826 respectively. I hope to track down a photo of their headstone some day.

Richard was born abt 1751 according to his age at death (74 in 1825), but I haven't found a likely birth yet.

cheers,
matt
Banfield, Ewer, Staniland, Hall, Border, Quinane, Conlon, Alleyn, Moloney

Offline raffinfun

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 01 January 12 00:47 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for your reply, Matt.  If you are interested at all in the branch of the family I am researching, I'm happy to give you names and dates, via email *  It would be inappropriate for me to post information on this site for the family I am connected to (related by marriage, not blood).  As I said, I have certainly not done any in-depth research, just basic on-line index records from Ancestry, and only as I have just recently reconnected with a long-lost cousin who is 6 generations away from Jane and Rowland!  She has had a hard life and I feel that sharing the information I have found may help to heal many wounds.
Regards, Kirsten
(*)

(*) Moderator Comment: e-mail removed in accordance with RootsChat policy,
to avoid spamming and other abuses.
Please use the Personal Message (PM) system for exchanging personal data.

New members must make at least three postings before being allowed to use the PM facility.
See Help-Page:  http://www.rootschat.com/help/pms.php