Author Topic: MOREY, England (pref. Worcester)  (Read 9218 times)

Offline HollyMM

• I am sorry but my email address is no longer working
  • RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
MOREY, England (pref. Worcester)
« on: Thursday 22 January 09 02:26 GMT (UK) »
My great-great grandparents, Mello Jackobus Schenkel (born in Utrecht, Holland) and Myra Martha Morey immigrated to New Zealand on the Strathallan in around 1859. All I know is that Myra was born in around 1843 in Worcester, England, and died in New Zealand in 1913.

They had eleven children all together (all had last name 'Schenkel'). A lot of them had a curious habit of dying during either WW1 or WW2...with none (except one) even serving in either World War!

1. Elizabeth Helen (b. 1863; d. 1940)
2. Alice Katherine (b. 1864; d. 1915)
3. Roelofe Morey (b. 1866; d. 1940)
4. Edward Mello (b. 1868; d. 1918)
5. Ernest Alfred (b. c.1868; d. 1946)
6. Harry Holst (b. 1870 (stillborn))
7. Arthur King (b. 1871; d. 1936)
8. Selina (Selvia) Holst (b. 1872; d. 1873)
9. Ada (b. 1874; d. 1947)
10. Annie (b. 1875; d. 1876)
11. Ella (b. 1882; d. 1956)

I do not know the siblings of Mello Schenkel, but apparently Myra (or Mira, spelling may differ) had a number of siblings (her mum and dad were Edward William MOREY and Charlotte KING).

Myra's siblings (all with last name MOREY):
1. Elizabeth (b. 1850; d. 1922)
2. Helen Ann (b. 1858; d. 1930)
3. Harry Edward (b. 1860 (stillborn))
4. Alfred Roelofe (b. 1861; d. 1868)
5. Annie Charlotte (b. 1864; d. 1932)

So if anyone recognizes a name from their family tree that appears to fit in this branch, please post or PM me. :)

Offline Phil - keastconnect

• RootsChat Extra
  • I've not edited my PROFILE yet
    • View Profile
Re: MOREY, England (pref. Worcester)
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 21 August 11 12:59 BST (UK) »
Hi Holly,

Just stumbled across your message.

You may want to cross check but Edward William Morey & Charlotte King were married in the Alverstoke registration district in Hampshire.

The birth of Martha Mira Morey (2nd c. 4x r.) was registered in the Fareham registration district in 1846.

You can contact me direct at:

(*)

Cheers,

Phil

(*) Moderator Comment: e-mail removed in accordance with RootsChat policy,
to avoid spamming and other abuses.
Please use the Personal Message (PM) system for exchanging personal data.

New members must make at least three postings before being allowed to use the PM facility.
See Help-Page:  http://www.rootschat.com/help/pms.php

Offline SharonLeeJ

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 16 June 12 23:49 BST (UK) »
Hi there Holly, not sure if you will get this message now, but Alice Katherine Schenkel is my great grandmother, marrying my unknown great grandfather George Semple Johnson.  I am only now tracing the family tree and have discovered a whole suite of "lost" family in the South Island. I would love to hear if you are still researching the family and how far you have got as a DD in South Australia has sent me a complete Schenkel history.

Looking forward to hearing from you.
Sharon Johnson
 :)

Offline ponsychick

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 17 June 12 10:34 BST (UK) »
Hi Sharon

I am descended from arthur king.  have been doing a bit of research too. figured out there is a few relatives in the south island. 

to Holly - mello does have a few siblings. he is from the 3rd wife of his father!!! and was 9years when dad died.

Nice to connect with other family

cheers

Karenf

Offline SharonLeeJ

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 17 June 12 11:59 BST (UK) »
Hey karen, Fantastic!  Thanks for the update re Mello as I have a few gaps to fill.  Yes, we hjave discovered a lot of Johnsons in the South Island too!  Happy hunting and yes, it is wonderful to connect with family! 

Offline LizzyjNZ

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 07 October 12 21:54 BST (UK) »
Hi Guys

Sharon I am also descended from Arthur King, have you seen the book from north to south that Joan Maxwell put out last year, it fulls in his tree nicely.  I am thinking of doing something similar on Mello.

I have been trying to get some details on the early life of Mello and have the following.

While Roelof was married three times and had a number of children from his earlier marriages very few made it to adulthood.  It appears that two daughters from his first marriage survived to adult hood and married, one died not long after her marriage and before mello was born.  The other had 4 sons.  There may have been one son who survived to adulthood, however i have seen him reported as dying in infancy however stumbled across a death record for him putting him at 41 when he died in Indonesia (it is Remke Roelof schenkel).  I will be delving into this a bit further if i can.
Of his second marriage there was one girl who died at the age of 10.
After Roelofs death Trijntje went on to have two illegitimate sons who bear the surname Oden.

Mello's birth record is here
Source    Civil register - Birth
Archive location    Tresoar, Frysk Histoarysk en Letterkundich Sintrum
General   Municipality: Ameland
Type of record: Geboorteakte
Record number: B 27
Registration date: 07-12-1831
Child   Mello Baukes Schenkel
Date of birth: 05-12-1831
Father   Roelof Schenkel
Mother   Trijntje Klazen Oden

There are a huge number of south island relatives!  Hope some of this is helpful.

Thanks
Liz Johnstone

Offline SharonLeeJ

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 07 October 12 22:43 BST (UK) »
Hi Liz, fantastic, thank you.  I wondered about Roelef having more than the one son who deceased as there were gaps in records.  I will investigate this further too thank you.

There is to be a Johnson family reunion next year in the South Island, so the more we have the better.  All these Johnsons are descended from Alice Katherine Schenkel and George Semple Johnson.  I for one, am looking forward to meeting the family we never knew existed! 

Haven't heard back from Holly - are you still around Holly?  have you got any further?

Kindest regards
Sharon

Offline SharonLeeJ

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 07 October 12 22:43 BST (UK) »
Liz on another matter, what is the full name of the book and who wrote it?  Where could I acquire a copy???

Thanks
Sharon

Offline LizzyjNZ

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 07 October 12 23:17 BST (UK) »
Hi Sharon. 

I have just realised that Karen is the one who is descended from Arthur King.  There is a lady called rosalie in Salt water creek who has a lot of information on all the family including George semple johnson (who i believe either worked with or for mello at one stage before marrying his daughter.

I have only seen one death confirmation for the boys from roelof's first marriage and it is for Remke, i have two other sons listed for that marriage Ongedoopt who i have as both born and died in 1794 and Mello born 1800 (no death found yet), however i have only just started looking into this family so hopefully i will tidy this up. 

For our Mello i have three brothers Nicolaas who died aged 24, Roelof who died aged 60 and Jan who died aged 1 as well as his sister Elisabeth who lived until 90.