Author Topic: Alexander McPherson married Isabella Bruce 17 jun 1781  (Read 5503 times)

Offline rigger1993

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Alexander McPherson married Isabella Bruce 17 jun 1781
« on: Thursday 22 January 09 21:27 GMT (UK) »
Alexander and Isabel (Isobel) were married in Grange, Banff.  Alexander was born about 1755 and died between 1795/1856.  Isobel was born 24 Oct 1761 Grange, Banff to Joseph Bruce and Jean Ord.  She died between 1795/1856.  I need to find out who Alexander's parents are.

Thank you very much.

Tracy

Moderator comment: see also here: http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php/topic,354410.0.html

Offline if6094

• I am sorry but my email address is no longer working
  • RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Alexander McPherson married Isabella Bruce 17 jun 1781
« Reply #1 on: Friday 27 February 09 21:19 GMT (UK) »
Hi Tracey,
had a look on s.p. and could only find one alexander mcpherson
born 20/1/1754 @ inveravon banff, parents john mcpherson and isabel erskine, gros data no 157/00100194. found marriage details in parish register for date given? so hope this is the right person, good luck.
i have sent you a p.m.  irene
mcmurray, boyd, burnett,phillips, commyn,odair,IRELAND
cairley, blane, young,caddies,jenkins,Scotland/Ireland

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 21 August 15 16:12 BST (UK) »
had a look on s.p. and could only find one alexander mcpherson
born 20/1/1754 @ inveravon banff, parents john mcpherson and isabel erskine, gros data no 157/00100194.

Don't make the mistake of assuming that because there's only one possible candidate in the records, it has to be the right one. It's possible, but Grange and Inveravon aren't exactly next door to one another, and it's highly likely that there are other Alexander M(a)cphersons who are not in the records.

You need to look at the originals of the events indexed at FamilySearch. These can be found at www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk. It's pay-per-view but modestly priced. The baptisms might include names of witnesses who might give a clue about other members of the family.
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 21 August 15 16:35 BST (UK) »
Isobel was born 24 Oct 1761 Grange, Banff to Joseph Bruce and Jean Ord. 

I note with great interest that Joseph Bruce and Jean Ord's banns were called in both Botriphnie and Grange. Their second daughter was Helen and their third son was John.

Jean Ord, daughter of John Ord and Helen Burgess, was born at Upper Towie, Botriphnie and baptised on 22 January 1732.

I wonder whether the baptisms of any of the Bruce children were witnessed by anyone from Botriphnie? If so, then it would be reasonable to suppose that Jean Ord's parents were John Ord and Helen Burgess. Just a thought.

Also Joseph and Jean named their eldest daughter Margaret and their second son George. Might this point to Joseph being the son of George Bruce and Margaret Allan, who was baptised in Grange on 23 November 1723?

Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline GR2

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 21 August 15 17:56 BST (UK) »
Joseph Bruce was indeed the son of George Bruce and Margaret Allan and Jean Ord was the daughter of John Ord and Helen Burges(s).

The Botriphnie witnesses to the baptisms of Joseph Bruce and Jean Ord's children were:

- Margaret 1754: John and Margaret Ord in Botriphnie
- Helen 1756: John Ord, Upper Towie, Botriphnie, Helen Burgess and Helen Ord there
- Isobel 1758: Isobel Ord in Botriphnie
- Mary 1760: Mary Ord in Botriphnie

I am a descendant of Helen Bruce (b. 1756) and have quite a lot of information about this family.

Offline dawnsh

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 21 August 15 20:17 BST (UK) »
Just to let you know rigger1993 hasn't been online here since Feb 2009, just after this topic was started.

As long as her email address hasn't changed she should receive an email notification that you have posted and hopefully come back soon.
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Sherry-Paddington & Marylebone,
Longhurst-Ealing & Capel, Abinger, Ewhurst & Ockley,
Chandler-Chelsea

Offline rigger1993

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 06 September 15 15:38 BST (UK) »
Just to let you know rigger1993 hasn't been online here since Feb 2009, just after this topic was started.

As long as her email address hasn't changed she should receive an email notification that you have posted and hopefully come back soon.

I'm sorry that I have been gone so long.  I appreciate all the work you have done.  I've been preoccupied with my husband's biological family.