Author Topic: HARRIS (Essex) Family Bible,  (Read 42002 times)

Offline findem

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
HARRIS (Essex) Family Bible,
« on: Friday 23 January 09 01:53 GMT (UK) »
Does anyone have or know of the whereabouts of a Family Bible containing details of the Harris family of Coggeshall?

The Bible would contain the details of my great grandparents Joseph Harris and Eliza Harris nee Dalton, Joseph and Eliza were both born in 1829, Joseph was born in Pattiswick but baptised in Coggeshall, I  have a handwritten extract of their details from that Bible.  Other than Joseph all of the three known generations of my Harris line were born in Coggeshall.  My grandmother Annie Harris was born 1871 in Coggeshall and would most likely be shown in the bible. 

The Bible I believe was in the care of Joseph until he died in 1908 but  my mother had no idea of where it ended up, I would of course love to own the Bible but would be satisfied with the family details the Bible contains.

Regards.

Concentrating currently on:
Essex: Card, Harris, Stowell, Theobald/Tibbles & Turner.
Norfolk: Beale, Cork & Dalton.
Yorkshire: Oswald Sturdy birth/baptism c1708, Oswald where the devil are you?

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline SHUSHIE

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: HARRIS (Essex) Family Bible,
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 21 January 10 19:07 GMT (UK) »
if you google Harris family bible i have seen it on the net, i am interested in the Harris name as i have been trying to research the tree, and i wondered would these names ring a bell in your tree My gr grandfather was a Jack/ john harris his father was George, George was married to a Margaret(molly) Miller. i do not know who or if my gr grandad had any brothers or sister's they came from Essex  and i beleive some of the family now live in london
Buckley Loveridge Upton Lee Harris Miller Wilson Foster Burnside Fury

Offline findem

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 21 January 10 22:34 GMT (UK) »
Hi Shushie,

Thanks for the tip off, I had a quick look at a few of those that came up when I googled, they only contained references to American born Harris people, when I have more time I'll look further.

The Harris names you mention do not appear in the two families I have except for the name John, My gt gt grandparents, Joseph and Lucy (nee Turner) Harris had a son John born about 1838 at Gt Coggeshall, Essex, John married an Emma Harris about 1866.  I found John on the 1851 census but his baptism has so far escaped me and I haven't any info on the pair after their marriage, so I'm afraid I can't help you, that doesn't mean to say there is no connection though, it's just that I have very little info regarding Harris Ancestor's siblings.  With my Grandmother's siblings for example I found her two brothers and three sisters but the only sibling marriage I have come up with is for one of her sisters.  I must confess that I haven't spent much time on tracking ancestor siblings, most of my time has been spent chasing ancestors.  With my Harris gt gt grandparents I have marriages for all seven known children but have no info regarding their (gt grandfather's siblings) children.

The following may help you in your research.

The Gt Coggeshall censuses show that there were other Harris families in Coggeshall along with mine who I have yet to find a link to mine, some were also born in Coggeshall but there were others born in Woodham Ferrers, Essex.

There are also some Harris families to be found in the PRs (online and free) for Chelmsford and next door parish Moulsham St Johns, in fact living next door to my Grandparents in South Primrose Hill, Chelmsford, was a George Harris & family, my grandmother was unaware of a connection.

Off the top of my head I'm fairly certain I have seen mention of another Harris family at Little or Great Waltham, Essex, if my memory serves me correct there was a Joseph Harris born there around 1806, the same year as the Joseph Harris I'm stuck on but he's not mine. 

Have you tried a Harris search on RootsChat?

If there are any other Harris names or info you would like to discuss feel free to contact me, perhaps by PM would be best.  Also if you get a little further back I have a few Harris people born in the 1700's in various parishes around Essex that I have on a "Spares" database.

Regards.       

Offline James D

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 08 March 10 12:28 GMT (UK) »
Hi

I have John Turner Harris married Emma Jepp on 8 Oct 1871. It looks like she had two children before the marriage Emma b1866 & Emily b 1869, she went on to have six other children one of which Leonard James Harris b1891 is my wife's grandfather. I also have a Walter Harris but no other info.

I have just found RootsChat, how can we make contact to discuss Joseph & Lucy.

Thanks

James
Dennis - Starling, London
Bonard - Holland, London
Thompson - Wymer, Norfolk
Harris - Haswell, Essex & Portsmouth

Offline old rowley

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • first steps
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 08 March 10 12:52 GMT (UK) »
Hi James and welcome to Rootschat, Findem was last on this site at 2.17 this morning and as he lives in Australia he will no doubt be on here later this evening (UK time). One way that you could contact him is via a PM however you will have to make three posts on the main boards to be able to do this failing that I would wait to see when he comes back on as he will no doubt get a notification that someone has posted on this thread via his e-mail account.

old rowley
Claxton- East London & Essex<br />Cuthbert- Mile End East London <br />Edwards - East London & Essex<br />Goll- Norfolk<br />Harris-Mile End East London<br />Hurr - Suffolk<br />Law- Bethnal Green East London<br />Moll- East London<br />Robinson- Bethnal Green East London<br />Tait- Argyll & Glasgow<br />Thompson Shoreditch East london<br />Watson- Glasgow<br />Wood- Bethnal Green East London<br /><br />Local history interest; Noak Hill & Harold Hill Essex<br /><br />census information crown cop

Offline findem

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 08 March 10 21:57 GMT (UK) »
Hi James D,

You have hit on a sore point with John Turner Harris, many years ago I found reference to a John Turner Harris in the 1881 census for Coggeshall, his wife was named Emma.

Having a middle name of Turner I would expect him to be a son of my ancestors Joseph Harris and his wife Lucy Turner, John's YOB calculated from the 1881 census would be 1838 and that slots in nicely with the the family of Joseph and Lucy whose known children were born from 1831 to 1843.  The problem is that I have checked the Coggeshall baptism PRs three times and not found John Turner Harris, whether it's because he's not there or I'm simply missing him for what ever reason, I don't know.

Over a good few years I have had contact from a couple of people claiming descent from a John and Emma Harris, one named John's wife as Emma Harris and the other as Emma Jepp, both gave the year of marriage as about 1866.

In my two Harris families the only occurence of a John Harris is the one mentioned above.

Although you cannot send me a PM I believe I can send you one, so I will send you a PM (hopefully)and I believe if you click on the reply button attached to the PM you will be able to answer it.  If it doesn't work reply via this post.

Regards 

Offline findem

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 08 March 10 22:08 GMT (UK) »
PM sent

Offline Rachel Williams

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 16 December 13 07:19 GMT (UK) »
I'm still very new to it all but my father's maternal side of things includes Harris' of Great Coggeshall. I have as much information as I have been able to find listed on ancestry.ca perhaps somewhere there is a connection:

John Harris 1814 marries Elizabeth Nichols b.1828

Their children:

Samuel George Leonard Harris b. 1857
Emma Harris b. 1860
Clara Harris b. 1863
Julia Harris 1866
Phoebe Harris 1869

All Great Coggeshall, Essex
Williams-Thomas-Harris-Collins-Owen-Davies-Doran-Nichols-Ambrose-Kilbee-Mott

Offline findem

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 16 December 13 21:54 GMT (UK) »
Hi Rachel,

Sorry but in my two Harris families the only John Harris is the John Turner Harris mentioned in this topic and I'm still not 100% sure if he belongs to my line, I have yet to find his baptism the only mention I've found of him is in a Census, the only reason I consider he might be a sibling of my ancestor is because of his middle name of Turner.

With my Harris line I am still at the same stage I was when I started this topic, that is still looking for Joseph Harris who claims in the 1851 Census for Coggeshall that he was born circa 1806 in Little Coggeshall, hence my hope of one day finding the whereabouts of the Harris family bible which might give me Joseph's parents.

There could be a link with your John 1814 in that he could be a brother of my Joseph c1806 but that's something we cannot confirm until the baptism of Joseph Harris c1806 surfaces.

By the way I recall seeing in Censuses for Coggeshall, Harris people stated as being born in Woodham Walter, I haven't found a connection with them to my Harris line.

Sorry I couldn't be of more help.

Regards.