Author Topic: Interesting Newspaper Article  (Read 26639 times)

Offline KarenM

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • My Grandpa Stanley has the hanky in his pocket
    • View Profile
Interesting Newspaper Article
« on: Monday 01 May 06 15:31 BST (UK) »
Saw this newspaper article and thought it was interesting.....

The Winnipeg Free Press,
Dec 19, 1935, page 10
Winnipeg, Manitoba

Smith Now Finds he is named Palmer and has mother, sister

After having been known as Fred W. Smith since his boyhood days, a railway man at Vivian, Manitoba learned about a year ago that his name was not Smith at all, but Palmer. As a little child, Mr. Palmer had been placed in Dr. Barnardo's home in London, England. As such he came to Alberta, where he was placed with a farmer in Innisfail. He stayed there less than a year, ran away for cause and gradually drifted into Winnipeg, later to Lorette, in Manitoba, working at this latter place, a boy of twelve, and generally becoming known as Smith.

When the Grand Trunk commenced its operations in the Lorette district he entered its employ and later that of the Canadian Nationals railways. With the exception of one year he has worked for these two railway companies ever since.

Some time ago the Canadian National urge its employees to produce birth certificates. Palmer, who in the meantime had married and become the father of two daughters and one son, was now forced to probe into his past. He wrote to the Barnardo home for information regarding himself, and after a great deal of writing and investigating learned at last about a year ago not only his true name but also that he was three years younger than he had thought himself to be. He is 48 years old now.

He and his wife and children have assumed their true name and are now known by their real name. They have taken all necessary steps to legally effect this change. The birth certificates of all the children as well as the marriage certificate of one daughter have had to be changed and real estate transferred from Smith to Palmer.

One of the remarkable and pleasing incidents of Mr. Palmer's search for his own name in England has led to the discovery by him that his own mother and one sister, now married, are still alive in the Old Country. A lively correspondence has been the result.
Gandley (but known as Stanley in Canada)- Ireland to Birmingham<br />Ball, Kempson & Franklin - Birmingham<br />Shorter - Surrey<br />Dyer - Devon<br />Dawkins - Co. Cork, Ireland<br />Heffernan - Ireland
Huck - Alsace, France
Reinhart - Baden, Germany
Bowman & Ellis - England
Etheridge - Gloucestershire

Who all came to Canada in a little row boat, clap clap, clap your hands!!

Offline audrey

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Interesting Newspaper Article
« Reply #1 on: Monday 01 May 06 15:38 BST (UK) »
Karen
What a interesting story and heartwarming to learn that he found his true identity ,there is hope for us all who are still searching and hoping one day to have the same happy out come Thank you for posting that Karen

audrey

Offline Jacquie in Canada

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Canadian, eh!
    • View Profile
Re: Interesting Newspaper Article
« Reply #2 on: Friday 23 January 09 21:52 GMT (UK) »
It also makes you wonder how many other Home Children had their names (and birth dates) changed and didn't find out. Makes researching a little more difficult.

Jacquie
Canada: Patterson, Brown, Haidenger/Heidinger, Meyer, Johnston(e), Gorsuch, Kitchin/Kitchen
United States: Patterson, Smith, Brown, Vance, Bower(s), Newberry, Best, Love, Gorsuch
England (Northumberland): Brown, Whitfield, Henderson
Scotland (Glasgow, Edinburgh, Fife, East Lothian): Johnston(e), Bell, Galloway, Campbell, Robertson, Williamson, Thomson, Crawford
Germans from Russia: Haidenger/Heidinger, Meyer, Meach, Lorenz

Offline dcfraser1

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 25 February 11 01:44 GMT (UK) »
What a great story!  I have only began to wonder what "Home Children"must have gone through in many ways.

I just recently learned about Home Children researching my gmother from England. Before, I never even heard of these children.

Karen you helped me in my search for info. and Home Children.

Thanks Again! ;)
Darrin
Fraser, Frazeau, Fregeau, Poland, Hahn, Koehler, Coones, Gribbon(-in-en)

Offline bozzo2

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 27 October 11 10:46 BST (UK) »
What a great story,not so for my grandfather who was a bernados boy,he went to his grave not knowing his true identy,but a least his decendents have found out and we now have extra family.
Cheers
Judy

Offline maroldme

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 01 April 12 03:50 BST (UK) »
Hi   that is a great story...touched my heart strings!!
Thanks for sharing it with us...  :D

Offline alanmack

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 30 May 15 18:18 BST (UK) »
. . . And Frederick W. Palmer is present in the RootsChat DBSIG BHC database if anyone would care to look.

alanmack
Glamorgan - Carpenter, Chamberlain, Ellis, Watkins, Rees, Bevan
Wiltshire - Carpenter, Chamberlain, Ellis, Merrett
Essex - Burdon, Taylor, Menzies
Canada - Burdon, Parkinson
Australia - Carpenter, Burdon

Offline dbree

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Canada
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 30 May 15 18:27 BST (UK) »
Hi,

:'( for his beginnings and now  ;D....heartwarming article.

Thanks for sharing.

Cheers,
DB

Offline Romilly

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Saturday 30 May 15 22:27 BST (UK) »

Thanks for sharing Karen.

A few years back now, I obtained the files on my two Warren Great Uncles from the National Children's Homes in the UK. They made for heart rending reading... A lot of what happened would now be classed as 'Child Abuse'...

I've never been able to trace what happened to them as adults, - although I believe that one of them followed his Mother and siblings to Australia...(As was so often the case, - their Mother was still alive, but their Father had died tragically).

Romilly.
Any census information included in this post is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Researching:
Wilson, Warren, Dulston, Hooper, Duffin, Petty, Rees, Davies, Williams, Newman, Dyer, Hamilton, Edmeads, Pattenden.