Author Topic: Greenside Cemetery; Bonthrone Gravestone?  (Read 17147 times)

Offline johndonaldson

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Greenside Cemetery; Bonthrone Gravestone?
« Reply #18 on: Monday 21 September 09 21:35 BST (UK) »
Hi Alvagirl:

Thanks for your prompt and very helpful reply.

I did e-mail Nancy right away so everything should be setup by the time I get to Alloa.

Monumental Inscriptions (Pre 1865) In Clackmannanshire compiled by John and Sheila Mitchell for the Scottish Genealogical Society. It was referenced earlier in this thread.

We are going to Scotland for my niece's wedding. I have never been to Scotland before so I am trying to see as much of your country as possible while there and every once in a while sneak in a little family research. :)

Once I get better organized there is always a chance for a dedicated research trip.

John

Offline The Clackmannan Person

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Thursday 27 November 14 16:02 GMT (UK) »
From the date you are looking for I would be surprised if your ancestor is buried in Greenside Cemetery. This is an ancient churchyard dating from the 1700's. It would seem more likely they are buried in Sunnyside Cemetery especially when you have plot numbers and section numbers which is a more modern idea of burials.

The Clackmannan Person

Offline Hermit73

• RootsChat Extra
  • Ancestry tree 'Bellingham-Plank-Andrews-Evans'
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Thursday 27 November 14 16:22 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for that suggestion, The Clackmannan Person, it makes a lot of sense. I'll make a note of it on David Bonthrone's profile. An on-going project.
SCOTLAND:  Ferguson, Livingston, Henderson, Stanners, Dougal, Milne, Andrew, Robertson, Duncan, McVinish, Goodall, Laird, Eadie, Ballingham, Bonthrone, Mitchell, Templeton, Donald, Scott, Russell, Towers, Henry, Bell, McLennan, MacKenzie, Leishman, Wilson, Pryde, Galloway, Fortune, Main, Marshall, Denovan.
ENGLAND: Evans, Lloyd, Sudlow, Wright, Moore, Baylis, Parton, Sainsbury, Plank, Jones, France, Eddie.
IRELAND: Bellingham, Hunter,Keenan, Russel,Coulter, Coyle, Pritchard.
WALES: Jones,Evans.

Offline Alvagirl

• RootsChat Extra
  • Copied from an ambrotype of unidentified ancestor
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Thursday 27 November 14 21:31 GMT (UK) »
Hello Hermit73

Although I agree with The Clackmannan Person that Greenside is an old graveyard, inscriptions on stones continued until at least mid 1950s, and a David BONTHRON sure was buried there in 1909.

We really do need to look further than MIs cos not everyone could afford a gravestone - kirk session and burial records could help.  Who owned the lairs?  A name on a stone does not mean someone is actually buried there.  (Sorry i don't know when burials ceased at Greenside). 

There are two parts to Greenside Cemetery: to the west is the older one around the old kirk; to the east is the newer part which is nearer Kilncraigs.  Hermit73, I think I sent you photos a few years ago of where I reckoned your DB was buried.

Burial records for Clackmannanshire (1866-2014) are now available free online at www.clacksweb.org.uk/community/burialrecords/ From this you will see, Hermit73 that a David Bonthron was buried on 12 April 1909 in New Ground, Section C, ?stone? 150, lair 1.
This is a good resource to explore.

Aberdeenshire: GARDEN, BEATTIE, DUNN, DAVIDSON, BRAIK, JAFFRAY; JAMIESON, THOM, HAY, SCOTT
Morayshire: MACKAY, MURRAY, KENNEDY, ROSS, SMITH, MILNE; MORRISON, STEWART, PENNY, DEAN, McCONNACHIE

Offline Hermit73

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Friday 28 November 14 01:50 GMT (UK) »
Yeah, that's right Alvagirl, you did send me a photo of the plot area where the stone should be. Very possibly that is the site and no stone was purchased. I think other members of the same family do have stones, in Tillicoultry graveyards, so I was hoping David did too. Frustrating when I live so far away now, but it seems like David's grave is a bit of a closed book for now. I can't find any newspaper articles about his death either, so - a dead-end for now. Thanks for your help  :)
SCOTLAND:  Ferguson, Livingston, Henderson, Stanners, Dougal, Milne, Andrew, Robertson, Duncan, McVinish, Goodall, Laird, Eadie, Ballingham, Bonthrone, Mitchell, Templeton, Donald, Scott, Russell, Towers, Henry, Bell, McLennan, MacKenzie, Leishman, Wilson, Pryde, Galloway, Fortune, Main, Marshall, Denovan.
ENGLAND: Evans, Lloyd, Sudlow, Wright, Moore, Baylis, Parton, Sainsbury, Plank, Jones, France, Eddie.

Offline The Clackmannan Person

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Friday 28 November 14 10:21 GMT (UK) »
http://www.clacksweb.org.uk/community/burialrecords/

You can search on this site for any body in any graveyard in the county and I located a  D Bonthron died 1909-4-12, in  Greenside, gives grave location and map of the sectors. Good hunting.
The Clackmannan Person

Offline Hermit73

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Sunday 30 November 14 23:19 GMT (UK) »
http://www.clacksweb.org.uk/community/burialrecords/

You can search on this site for any body in any graveyard in the county and I located a  D Bonthron died 1909-4-12, in  Greenside, gives grave location and map of the sectors. Good hunting.
The Clackmannan Person
Really fantastic that the search browser is now online!! Thanks for the link to it, The Clackmannan Person!   :D