Author Topic: Greenside Cemetery; Bonthrone Gravestone?  (Read 17146 times)

Offline Hermit73

• RootsChat Extra
  • Ancestry tree 'Bellingham-Plank-Andrews-Evans'
    • View Profile
Re: Greenside Cemetery; Bonthrone Gravestone?
« Reply #9 on: Saturday 07 February 09 11:26 GMT (UK) »
Hi,
I got a reply from landserv.
They say you'll need to go to the glass-fronted building in front of Tesco to get the cemetery key, and if you ring them a bit before you arrive Nancy will have the section of the lair map copied for you.
If you need it, I can PM you Nancy's number. Hope this isn't too much hassle.
Thanks  ;D
SCOTLAND:  Ferguson, Livingston, Henderson, Stanners, Dougal, Milne, Andrew, Robertson, Duncan, McVinish, Goodall, Laird, Eadie, Ballingham, Bonthrone, Mitchell, Templeton, Donald, Scott, Russell, Towers, Henry, Bell, McLennan, MacKenzie, Leishman, Wilson, Pryde, Galloway, Fortune, Main, Marshall, Denovan.
ENGLAND: Evans, Lloyd, Sudlow, Wright, Moore, Baylis, Parton, Sainsbury, Plank, Jones, France, Eddie.
IRELAND: Bellingham, Hunter,Keenan, Russel,Coulter, Coyle, Pritchard.
WALES: Jones,Evans.

Offline Alvagirl

• RootsChat Extra
  • Copied from an ambrotype of unidentified ancestor
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Saturday 07 February 09 11:58 GMT (UK) »
Hi Hermit

Fine - that is Kilncraigs, a former textile mill which got an award when it was renovated a few years ago.  Silly me, I was thinking of Sunnyside Cemetery!  Greenside is very old and much smaller, have only seen it from a meeting room in Kilncraigs, so that will be interesting to get a close-up.

Clackmannanshire's main contribution to Homecoming Scotland 2009 (www.homecomingscotland2009.com) is to be an art installation there.

Council will be closed at weekend, so I'll phone on Monday although can't go until Wednesday, hopefully with spouse who is a more competent photographer.

Will be in touch when mission accomplished.
Buzzy
Aberdeenshire: GARDEN, BEATTIE, DUNN, DAVIDSON, BRAIK, JAFFRAY; JAMIESON, THOM, HAY, SCOTT
Morayshire: MACKAY, MURRAY, KENNEDY, ROSS, SMITH, MILNE; MORRISON, STEWART, PENNY, DEAN, McCONNACHIE

Offline Alvagirl

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Saturday 21 February 09 18:06 GMT (UK) »
Hi Hermit

No joy as yet, sorry - I did go that Wed, got a clear map from Nancy Smith, but couldn't locate stone, let alone plot.  Nothing obvious - if you have any other names connected to BONTHRONE, that might be helpful.

So I have emailed NS asking if she can give me names on surrounding stones and/or at ends of rows of plot 150, alternatively if she prefers me to have another look see and instead give her names on exisiting stones so that I get lair nmbers from her and than work out location.  Will let you know when I hear more.

Sad to see so many toppled stones, I was hoping that 1909 inscription would still be standing, altho lair records of course doesn't necessarily mean his death recorded on a gravestone.  I had an interesting tramp about, and a look at the older bit of kirkyard (behind photographer, by old kirk) and it was interesting to see that the backs of gravestones in that enclosure commonly noted how many lairs, deep-cut inscription and v visible.

Meantime, first photo (1294) is taken about 100 yards after the wide entrance to graveyard, looking vaguely east/ ENE:  the old building straight ahead on the left is the former Kilncraigs Mill, now Council offices.  You'll see a rough V-shaped path in middle of photo: look to the right and see light/ wear shining on a pale pink granite tall stone with a cross on top/ approx in the bottom left hand window of the yucky '60s/ '70s white building right.  Lair 150 should be behind that.

2nd photo, 1295, is taken looking in the opposite direction.  If you go follow muddy grass path up the left of this photo, past a wee white gravestone with red&white flowers, then a pediment on its right, then next you will see that tall pink granite again (its cross not in this photo).  (Just trying to get orientated!).  Towards the middle of the photo, you'll see the base of a stone with two rusty spokes out top of it.  I reckon your BONTHRONE is buried approx to right & front of that.

Will be in touch when I hear more.
Best wishes, Alvagirl (Buzzy)
Aberdeenshire: GARDEN, BEATTIE, DUNN, DAVIDSON, BRAIK, JAFFRAY; JAMIESON, THOM, HAY, SCOTT
Morayshire: MACKAY, MURRAY, KENNEDY, ROSS, SMITH, MILNE; MORRISON, STEWART, PENNY, DEAN, McCONNACHIE

Offline Alvagirl

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Saturday 21 February 09 18:11 GMT (UK) »
Photos
Hermit, please send PM (personal message) with your addy - rootschat not liking my big files!!
Alvagirl

Offline Hermit73

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Saturday 21 February 09 18:33 GMT (UK) »
Hi Buzzy,
I'm looking forward to seeing your pics. It's a shame that the cemetery is so difficult to search, but thanks so much for your efforts.

will email u...

Extra info.... David Stage Bonthrone 1818 - 1909, died in Marchglen.
Spouse Jane Goodall 1820 - 1868, died in Marchglen,
children:
Margaret Jane Goodall Bonthrone 1850 - 1940 (unmarried);
Jane/Jean 1852 - 1939 (unmarried);
Andrew 1855 - 1919;
John 1857 - 1860;
Elizabeth/Lizzie 1859 - 1952 (married Andrew Smith);
Mary Ann 1864 - 1865.
SCOTLAND:  Ferguson, Livingston, Henderson, Stanners, Dougal, Milne, Andrew, Robertson, Duncan, McVinish, Goodall, Laird, Eadie, Ballingham, Bonthrone, Mitchell, Templeton, Donald, Scott, Russell, Towers, Henry, Bell, McLennan, MacKenzie, Leishman, Wilson, Pryde, Galloway, Fortune, Main, Marshall, Denovan.
ENGLAND: Evans, Lloyd, Sudlow, Wright, Moore, Baylis, Parton, Sainsbury, Plank, Jones, France, Eddie.

Offline Alvagirl

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Tuesday 24 March 09 16:48 GMT (UK) »
Hi Hermit
Just to confirm there is no visible stone.  In the 2nd photo (1295), I said I thought it was near a stone with two rusty spokes sticking out the top.  Have now found out that this is lair 158 - and your lair 150 would have been to the immediate right of that.  So unfortunately no visible stone, just a photo of a grassy space.
Buzzy

Offline Hermit73

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Tuesday 24 March 09 18:02 GMT (UK) »
Aww, thanks anyway Buzzy. It's good to know that for the future. If I win the lottery I might go around Scotland putting up all my family's missing grave stones!
Take care.
Hermit

Offline johndonaldson

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Sunday 20 September 09 21:18 BST (UK) »
Hi,
I got a reply from landserv.
They say you'll need to go to the glass-fronted building in front of Tesco to get the cemetery key, and if you ring them a bit before you arrive Nancy will have the section of the lair map copied for you.
If you need it, I can PM you Nancy's number. Hope this isn't too much hassle.
Thanks  ;D

I live in the US but will be passing through Alloa (home of my Scottish ancestors) later this week.  I hope to have a little time for some family history research including a visit to Greenside Cemetery.  Some of the above is confusing to me. I take it Tesco is a department store and I have found it's address.  Is this glass-fronted building in front of Tesco "landsev" or something else?  Can anyone tell how to contact Nancy by e-mail or phone?  The grave location I am trying to find is from "Clackmannanshire M.I." and apparently not the physical location.

Thank you
John Donaldson

Offline Alvagirl

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Sunday 20 September 09 22:46 BST (UK) »
Yes
Tesco is one of the 4 or 5 multi-nationals that we have here in a small but important town, and yep, we use a lot of glass.

Coming from the east
, and going across the new Clackmannanshire Bridge, in the middle of the town, turn main left for Tesco.  As you approach it, park in Tesco's but eyes immediately right for view of the old mill building with tasteful glass-fronting that is Kilncraigs.  Alloa Tower is in the middle.  Kilncraigs is one of the main council buildings.  Services are based here & in a couple of other places.

BUt you would be much better to contact them beforehand (they don't call us 'the Wee County' for nothing).

Most graveyards are closed, and for your search it's helpful to have the map & lair numbers, you prob have to get permission & keys, so think ahead.

Nancy Smith is the most helpful council person for you in my opinion, her email is nsmith[at]clacks.gov.uk, the tel area code in UK is (01259) and her no. is 452611.  She works part time, so get your skates on!.  If no joy, go to www.clacksweb.co.uk, or phone their main tel no.

Sorry but I am away from home when you visit - but I do urge you to be prepared - if you now give Nancy's email a note of who you are looking for when, I'm sure she will be as helpful as poss.

PLEASE LOOK OUT all the info you have before any of the above - Clacks MIs - what on earth source would this be?  Do give N as many details as poss as could save your time in yr fleeting visit.  LOL - they don't come of the shelf - LOL.

Hey, you would be better staying longer in Clacks & eg taking one of our "Meet the Ancestors" tours in Clacks . . .

Happy hunting
Alvagirl

Moderator Comment: e-mail edited, to avoid spamming and other abuses.
Please replace [at] with @