Author Topic: SENNETT  (Read 23698 times)

Offline corinne

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: SENNETT
« Reply #18 on: Friday 30 September 11 18:10 BST (UK) »
Gellies, great to hear from you.  Joseph Sennett and Julia Ann Ryan are my direct ancestors too - my line comes down through one of the younger children - their 10th child Edward b 1858. 

Juliana (Julia Anna) SENNETT, your ancestor, was christened in Wicklow 18th Jun 1845 at Temple Rainy Chapel, Avoca Parish, Co Wicklow.  There were actually at least four children born to Joseph and Julia Ann in Wicklow before they emigrated to Whitwood sometime during 1847/48, however only two (James and Juliana or Julia Anna) were still alive at the 1851 census.  I have the christening details of all of these.

I was in Ireland last year and had some wonderful breakthroughs with finding this information, however it came on my last day or so there, so I didn't really have time to push it much further back.  I believe I may have the christening details for Joseph and a couple of his brothers, although there are still some things that don't quite make sense in these earlier generations, in particular accurately sorting out the different people with the same first names.

My possible christening details for Joseph Sennett are:
- Joseph Sinnott, son of James and Mary Sinnott, born Kilmacoo (Avoca valley), christened 16 Dec 1816 at Castlemacadam Church of Ireland, Co Wicklow. 
If this is the right one, then there are at least two more brothers:
- Francis Sinnott, born Kilmacoo, chr 1 Jan 1811, Castlemacadam Church of Ireland
- Edward Sinnott, born Kilmacoo, chr 4 Oct 1813, Castlemacadam Church of Ireland
This Edward could be the Edward Sennett who also emigrated to Whitwood, Yorkshire between 1841 and 1851 and who married Bridget Quin on 22 Nov 1853 at Halliwells Chapel, Tanshelf, Pontefract.  They did not have any children.

From a couple of different descendant lines there is the family story that they came from Rathdrum - Castlemacadam parish is a neighbouring area to Rathdrum, so this fits.  Also Castlemacadam is on the edge of the Avoca mining area, which is where the children were born and where Joseph probably worked.

I ran out of time to look for a marriage of Joseph to Julia Ann.  I stayed at a b & b only a few miles from Temple Rainy Chapel and the woman who ran it told me that Ryan was definitely a common Catholic family name for that area.  I'm now wondering if the Sinnotts were not originally catholic but Joseph converted when he married Julia Ryan.

All the above information needs checking and confirming, and in particular the marriage of Joseph and Julia Ann Ryan needs to be found, however I believe there is at least one other couple with the same names around the same time (but in a slightly different area) just to confuse things.   I think there are also two James Sennett/Sinnotts of the right kind of age to be the father of Joseph - one a joiner and one a miner.  These also need sorting out.  And I'd like to confirm how James Sennett (b abt 1804 and married Martha White, then also emigrated to Whitwood) is related to Joseph, because they do appear to be related in the way members of each family are names on certificates of the other family as witnesses or informants).

I'll send you a personal message so you can get my email contact details.  I'd love to hear more of what you have found out, see how that compares with my research, and pass on anything that is relevant to you that you don't already have.

Are you still living in the Normanton area?  It seems like a lot of the descendants of Joseph and Julia are still, with the exception of my line, where  Joseph's grandson Edward (b 1883) moved his wife Fanny and children to Aylesham in Kent to work in the Snowdown colliery in about 1926.  Most of those descendants are now in the south of England.

Offline Gellies

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Saturday 01 October 11 17:27 BST (UK) »
Hi Corinne

Thanks for the information and your message which I will reply to.

Unfortunately I know very little about the Sennetts as I'd  never heard them mentioned by anyone in my family - they came as a pleasant surprise to me. Julia A married James McGowan on 6 May 1861 and they had several children including Rose Ann or Rose Annie who was the earliest person I'd heard about. Rose married a McManus and this was the line I was originally looking into. At some stage they moved the short distance to Batley. Prior to my research I was unaware of the Whitwood connection.

Kind regards.

Offline fudgereedoo

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Thursday 13 October 11 17:33 BST (UK) »
hi i have just read through that you are trying to trace the sennett family name .... i am a  sennett from the cornish side originating from st michaels mount i still live in cornwall and have traced the sennetts moving from cornwall to australia america and also to merseyside. The sea, boat/ship building being the reason. Before knowing all this i happened to join the navy.... any way if i can be of any help let me know..............

Offline Gellies

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Monday 07 November 11 10:48 GMT (UK) »
Hi

As far as I know I'm only related to the Yorkshire Sennetts though it would be nice to also have roots in Cornwall - a lovely place. Thanks for the offer of help.

Offline Laura1006

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Friday 16 March 12 08:57 GMT (UK) »
Hi Corinne,
Im a Yorskshire Sennett, well an Aylesham Sennett.  My family came down as miners to work at the Snowdown Collery.  My grandparents then went back to Maltby, Rotherham.  I wonder how we are related?  My granddad was Thomas Sennett.

Offline corinne

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Friday 16 March 12 18:14 GMT (UK) »
Laura,

I've sent you a private message with my personal email address in it.  If you contact me on that then I can send you a whole load of detail on the family tree, plus some photos of your grandfather, his brothers and sisters and his parents (Edward and Fanny).

My grandmother Phyllis Mary (b 1907 in Normanton) was the oldest sister of Thomas Sennett b 1917.   Is that your grandfather, or great grandfather?  I have details on four generations further back from that.  I'd love to know more detail on Thomas's descendants, but as they will be living people you would have to share that by private email or messaging.

Corinne

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Friday 16 March 12 18:19 GMT (UK) »
New members usually need 3 posts to send and receive PMs.
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline corinne

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Friday 16 March 12 21:15 GMT (UK) »
Yes, I thought that might be the case about PMs, which is why I have let Laura know my private email address.  You also can't send documents via the messaging system.

Offline cwelli

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Tuesday 10 June 14 16:20 BST (UK) »
I have been looking into the history of the Sennett family on behalf of my son in law who has always believed that Richard Sennett 1847 - 1891 was his g x 2 grandfather. It would appear that this is not the case!
However his great x 2 grandmother was Amelia Sennett - born 1870 (parents William J and Charlotte Johns). There must be some connection between Amelia and Richard for his family to have held this belief.
Does anyone have information to hand so that I can pass it on and the connection be corrected within the family?
Regards
Carol