Author Topic: SENNETT  (Read 23684 times)

Offline cwelli

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: SENNETT
« Reply #27 on: Tuesday 10 June 14 16:23 BST (UK) »
Whoops! I forgot to add that these Sennetts are from Cornwall around St Michael's Mount. I do know about Richard's history. It is where the misconception has occurred that I am interested in!

Offline corinne

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Tuesday 10 June 14 16:50 BST (UK) »
Yes, cwelli, there is a connection, but its not the most straightforward.  The common ancestor of both Amelia Sennett (born 28 Jul 1869, in the Stoke Damerel reg. district) and Richard Sennett (b1847) is William Sennett born 1768.  William married three times.  Amelia is descended from William and wife Mary Hitchens and Richard is descended from another of William's wives, Elizabeth Williams. 

Richard b 1847 is the son of Richard b abt 1816 who married Ann Marrack, and gson of  William and Elizabeth Williams.  Amelia is the ggrandaughter of William through his wife Mary Hitchens.  Amelia's father is William James, her grandfather is James b 1808 (who married Amelia Hitchens)and her paternal greatgrandparents are William Sennett and Elizabeth Williams. So Amelias father William James and Richard shared a common grandfather, but not grandmother.  I haven't a clue what relation that makes them, but its definitely a relationship.

If you send me a PM with your email address, I'll print out a report that shows all these generations and how they link together.  It will be a pdf, so I'll need to email it rather than attach it to a message here.

You were interested in how the misconception arose.  I wonder if it perhaps was in the way the term "cousin" used to be used.   We think of cousins as being first cousins, but in the past the term was often used a lot more loosely than that to refer to anyone who was related, even distantly.  All these people did live in the same area, so it would have been quite likely that the families saw each other, perhaps without children understanding the exact relationship, which may then have been misinterpreted as being closer than it was when they grew up.  I have an example in another tree of two men calling each other "cousins", but they don't even have a common greatgrandparent (the relationship is much more distant), let alone the common grandparent we would expect with first cousins.

Offline Andrew Ottaway

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Wednesday 31 December 14 07:25 GMT (UK) »
My Grandfather was James Sennett born abt 1902 married Eva Rouse 1928.
He died in Hull in 1962.
I am trying to find any information on his background.
The only reference to James Sennett born around that time is from Durham.

Any help is gratefully received

Regards
Neil

Neil, I don't know if you're still looking for information on your Grandfather, but since there are a number of coincidences in our family-trees I'd be interested to see if we have a connection. I have a James Sennett and Eva Rouse as my grandparents, James was a former merchant seaman (according to my mother Margaret), who passed-away in 1962. As I was born in 1960 I have only the faintest memory of him. The majority of their children emigrated to Australia over the years.

Regards,
Andrew.

Offline Andrew Ottaway

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Wednesday 31 December 14 07:54 GMT (UK) »

Do you have the full list of their children?  I have a list of ten of them, the first two died within their first year so only 8 survived to adulthood. 

Corinne Curtis
Corinne, I make it 9, plus the two who died as infants. As I don't yet have the privileges to PM you, perhaps you could contact me to compare notes?

Regards,
Andrew.

Offline corinne

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Tuesday 03 March 15 16:00 GMT (UK) »
Andrew - on page two of this message thread is a post from maxsennett - I think he is one of your cousins (son of James Edward).   I don't know if he still checks in with this message board.

Offline Andrew Ottaway

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Tuesday 03 March 15 16:52 GMT (UK) »
Yes, Corinne, I did see the post from Max.

Offline Cooperclan

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Tuesday 03 December 19 21:20 GMT (UK) »
Laura,

I've sent you a private message with my personal email address in it.  If you contact me on that then I can send you a whole load of detail on the family tree, plus some photos of your grandfather, his brothers and sisters and his parents (Edward and Fanny).

My grandmother Phyllis Mary (b 1907 in Normanton) was the oldest sister of Thomas Sennett b 1917.   Is that your grandfather, or great grandfather?  I have details on four generations further back from that.  I'd love to know more detail on Thomas's descendants, but as they will be living people you would have to share that by private email or messaging.

Corinne

My name is Mark and I am the grandson of Edward Sennett (Ted) from Aylesham. My mother was Catherine (Cathy) daughter of Ted and Sarah (Sally). I believe Sally was the sister? of Phyllis and Austin? Would love to fill in some of the gaps if possible. Ne to the forum so not sure of how to furnish you with my private mail?? Regards Mark

Offline Cooperclan

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Tuesday 03 December 19 21:29 GMT (UK) »
Hi Corinne,
Im a Yorskshire Sennett, well an Aylesham Sennett.  My family came down as miners to work at the Snowdown Collery.  My grandparents then went back to Maltby, Rotherham.  I wonder how we are related?  My granddad was Thomas Sennett.

Hi, my name is Mark and I am the grandson of Edward (Ted) Sennett, I believe his brother was Tom? from Aylesham as I am originally. Would love to fill in the gaps! My mother was Cathy Cooper nee Sennett with 7 sisters and brothers all still living and a few still in Aylesham.

Offline corinne

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: Sunday 15 March 20 12:11 GMT (UK) »
I'm just re-reading my posts particularly on this message thread and realising how far the SENNETT (SINNOTT, and other variant spellings) surname study has come since the original messages here.   There are now around 80,000 people in the surname study database, the bulk of them linked into larger family groups and I have increasing amounts of information from both Irish records and relating to emigrant families.   Some of the earlier information I posted here has been considerably updated with a few changes as well. 

If you are interested in this surname, please do contact me again through the registered surname study (search the surname at www.one-name.org) or the contact link on the study website https://sennett.one-name.net/.