Author Topic: SENNETT  (Read 23648 times)

Offline maxsennett

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: SENNETT
« Reply #9 on: Tuesday 27 July 10 17:55 BST (UK) »
My Grandfather was James Sennett born abt 1902 married Eva Rouse 1928.
He died in Hull in 1962.
I am trying to find any information on his background.
The only reference to James Sennett born around that time is from Durham.

Any help is gratefully received

Regards

Neil

Offline corinne

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Tuesday 27 July 10 21:55 BST (UK) »
I think your man might be this one that I found in the Yorkshire BMD index:   
SYNNETT, James, b Hessle, Hull, 1902, ref HES/49/235. 

I wouldn't worry too much about the difference in spelling.  I've found quite a lot of variant spellings in my Sennetts - if they weren't highly literate, then it would have been the registry clerk who wrote it down as they thought it should be spelled.

Do you have the full list of their children?  I have a list of ten of them, the first two died within their first year so only 8 survived to adulthood. 

I'd be really interested to keep in touch with you, as I have begun a one name study on SENNETTS and it would be good to compare notes with you.  At this point I'm not sure if your Sennetts link with mine (primarily the descendants of Joseph SENNETT and Julia Ann RYAN, who immigrated to Whitwood in 1847 and two or three possible siblings of Joseph).  If you do get James' birth certificate, please let me know who his parents are.

If you send me a private message, I can give you my personal email address.

Corinne Curtis

Offline corinne

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Tuesday 27 July 10 21:58 BST (UK) »
Lisa,
Can you send me a private message too?  I'd love to keep in touch and fill out some more links between the increasing database entries I have for Sennetts.

Corinne

Offline corinne

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Saturday 04 December 10 16:08 GMT (UK) »
Have been busy updating my SENNETT database with a lot of new information, so would love to hear from anyone else researching this name. 

Offline LisaHallworth

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Monday 06 December 10 12:34 GMT (UK) »
Lisa,
Can you send me a private message too?  I'd love to keep in touch and fill out some more links between the increasing database entries I have for Sennetts.

Corinne

Sorry, Corinne missed this - glad you were persistent!!
Lisa
Durham: Sennett, Fitzpatrick, Ranson,
Perth: Keay, Clark, Brack
Thorne, Yorks: Armitage, Foster
Bedfordshire: Hallworth
Northants: Cox
Suffolk: Tuthill

Offline corinne

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Wednesday 15 December 10 19:12 GMT (UK) »
Lisa, I'll send you a private message too just to make sure you get it, but posting on the message board because others might like the info too.

www.rootsireland.ie is quite a good resource.  You do have to pay to actually get a transcript of the entry, but can do quite a bit of backgrounding by looking through the indexes.  You can even be sneaky with it if you have a lot of time and an uncommon surname by narrowing down to parish, and then going through the alphabet as the first initial of first name.  This worked really well for me when I actually knew the parish for one person, and wanted to see if any siblings there as well.  I then managed to keep to a reasonable budget for actually getting the transcripts and out of 8 that I had guessed at, 7 were actually mine!

So, Lisa, the ones that might be relevant to you are a number of James Sinnotts in Wicklow around 1833.  If you don't have a better idea of the parish or of any siblings, then it may not help.  There is one for 1834 which is probably the closest, but I wouldn't count on it definitely being yours - I have found too much discrepancy in dates given in UK censuses in my own ones to be that specific about it.  The confusing bit with yours is that there are also three more James' in 1830 and one in 1835, and at this stage I would say that any of the six could be yours.

If you want to see the actual records, then the microfilms are in the national library in dublin.  Its well worth a trip there, once you have a bit better idea where you are looking.  I had a few preconceived ideas and it wasn't until I returned home that I realised where one of my assumptions was wrong and so I have missed the potential to go a lot further back.  Still, there is always a next trip!

If you have money, then the Wicklow Family history centre will do the research for you and write you up a report. 

Offline LisaHallworth

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Wednesday 15 December 10 21:01 GMT (UK) »
Thanks very much, Corinne, very helpful!
Durham: Sennett, Fitzpatrick, Ranson,
Perth: Keay, Clark, Brack
Thorne, Yorks: Armitage, Foster
Bedfordshire: Hallworth
Northants: Cox
Suffolk: Tuthill

Offline corinne

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Thursday 06 January 11 15:33 GMT (UK) »
Just to let everyone know that I have now officially registered my SENNETT/SINNOTT one name study with the Guild of One-Name Studies.  Part of my obligation in doing this is that I have agreed to respond to all queries from people researching these names without charging for the service (I might have to make a basic charge for printing or postage if that is requested, though not for email responses). 

I'd like to make this a really good archive and database for SENNETT research so if anyone wants to help with developing this one-name study, or  has scans or copies of certificates etc, it would be great to hear from you.  Also I am really happy to compare your research and charts to mine, see if there are any differences,  and pass on any extra information I have.   

One thing I am going to work hard on now is identifying how many separate family lines there are (in the UK initially).  I have already managed to link almost all of the Yorkshire Sennetts to one common ancestor.  I know that many of the London/Middlesex ones link to another distinct line, and I believe when I get going on them most of the Cornwall SENNETTs will also be able to be linked to one or two distinct families. 

I'm also working on getting a website up as soon as possible which will give some basic searchable information from my databases (names, events and years, but not including recent generations or living people).

I have registered SINNOTT as a variant, as this is the original Irish spelling for the Yorkshire SENNETTs.  I have also found a number of other different spellings but as most of these appear to be just mis-spellings rather than true variants I haven't registered them yet. 

The success of one-name studies usually relies on a number of people sharing and checking information, so I hope some of you with SENNETT connections will help me develop this database that already has around 5000 entries!

Offline Gellies

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Tuesday 27 September 11 22:44 BST (UK) »
Hi

I've just found this chat room and seen your interest in the Sennett family. I've been researching my maternal side of the family and Joseph and Julia Sennett from Wicklow living in Whitwood are my 3 x great grandparents. I'm related to them through their daughter Juliana who was also born in Wicklow and she married James McGowan. I also found out that Julia's maiden name was Ryan. However my research didn't go back any further and I was wondering whether you would be able/willing to share any insights into their origins.

Many thanks.