Author Topic: SENNETT  (Read 23670 times)

Offline corinne

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
SENNETT
« on: Thursday 10 February 05 21:22 GMT (UK) »
SENNETT - all in UK
also the following variants:
SENNET, SENNITT and other variants - Yorkshire only
SYNNOTT, SINNOTT - Co Wicklow, Dublin only

Offline sheppie

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: SENNETT
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 17 February 05 20:32 GMT (UK) »
Hi,
I have a Charlotte Sennette, born South Stoneham, Hampshire, died about 1860 Bitterne.
Any connection or knowledge??
Regards
Maureen
Cheshire: Pierce, Joy
Liverpool: Lyons, Sim/m, Eccles
Surrey: Skinner
London: Chowne
Hampshire:Hasler
Oxfordshire:Shepherd, Woodley

Offline busybod

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 24 May 08 14:02 BST (UK) »
I have James Sinnott born circa 1821 in Dublin.  Father's name John. Any connections or knowledge?

Busybod

Offline corinne

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 24 May 08 21:51 BST (UK) »
I'd be really interested in knowing more about this one, as it could link with mine.  Do you have any siblings names?  who were the descendents, and where did they go to?  When did they leave Ireland?

Offline m.sharp

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 04 December 08 15:35 GMT (UK) »
I believe yr Sennetts originate from Cambridge (I too am a Sennett) they come from Cottenham as far back as 1500 and then Stretham in Cambridge, spelt Sennitt, yr side i believe moved with a David Sennitt to Yorkshire. But there is also a branch in St Michaels Mount, Cornwall who we are still trying to trying to marry up with the Cambridge lot!!! My immediate family are Londoners.
Hope this helps.
Mags.
COLLISON; SENNITT; MONEY; GOTOBED; HITCH; LOWE;LANGFORD;LEAVENS: SENNITT(CAMBRIDGE)  LANE; GUDGE;BASHFORD(SURREY)  NEWMAN; SHARP;(MIDDLESEX)
COLLISON; DOWSING (SUSSEX: KENT) WYATT/EAST; CUTLER (BUCKS.)SENNETT/SENNITT: ASHTON: (CAMBRIDGE, CHELSEA, ISLINGTON, CAMBERWELL.)

Offline busybod

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 04 December 08 15:53 GMT (UK) »
Corinne

I dont have too much info about my James.  As I say, his Father was John, they were both Journeymen Upholsterers.  Have not been able to find out whether James had any siblings.  He married a lady named Maria Carson from Armagh (again, not sure whether this was the city or county).  They came over to England, not sure what year.  They were married in Leeds, West Yorkshire in 1865 by which time they had 3 children - Maria, James Thomas and John George.

Busybod

Offline corinne

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 04 December 08 21:48 GMT (UK) »
Mags, I believe the Cambridge Sennitts were a completely different lot to the Cornwall ones or most of the Yorkshire ones.  The Cornwall ones also originated from Ireland much more recently (probably 1800's) than your long history of Cambridge Sennitts, so I very much doubt if you will ever be able to match them up.  Likewise the Yorkshire ones.  I have charts that link almost all the West Yorkshire Sennetts (may have been Sinnott in Ireland).  Several related families came to the Normanton/Whitwood area of Yorkshire around the same time - 1847-48.  In addition there were a few other families (also from Ireland) who had been in other parts of West Yorkshire (I know of one in Bradford) from at least 1840ish.  As always, I have found a few odd ones that don't link to any of the Irish families that appear on Yorkshire censuses with birthplaces closer to yours,  and who might indeed be related to your Cambridge ones.   Apart from all these Sennetts, there is one other lot that I haven't investigated much further, and they are ones based around London.  Someone on ancestry or rootsweb has put a fairly detailed history of this group, but again, they have been in the UK much longer than the Irish Sennetts.  You might find though that this lot links in with yours. 

Offline m.sharp

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 05 December 08 17:08 GMT (UK) »
Hi Corinne, its probable my tree yr talking about on Ancestry, altho the original spelling is SENNITT, my Dad changed it after my eldest sister who is a Sennitt was born and we are all SennETT's, (dont ask me why tho).  There is a branch of Sennetts in Middlesex as my (semi) foster daughter's brother is married to one, which i found very strange as her father has the same name as my dad, a bit like deja vue!!! Her name is Maria and my Sister's middle name is Maria too, but they maintain they are from the Cornwall line tho. 
I do have the baptism records from Cottenham, Cambs and there are olso Sinnotts and Synots, all spelt differently.
Thanx for replying.
Regards Mags.
COLLISON; SENNITT; MONEY; GOTOBED; HITCH; LOWE;LANGFORD;LEAVENS: SENNITT(CAMBRIDGE)  LANE; GUDGE;BASHFORD(SURREY)  NEWMAN; SHARP;(MIDDLESEX)
COLLISON; DOWSING (SUSSEX: KENT) WYATT/EAST; CUTLER (BUCKS.)SENNETT/SENNITT: ASHTON: (CAMBRIDGE, CHELSEA, ISLINGTON, CAMBERWELL.)

Offline LisaHallworth

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 07 July 09 14:31 BST (UK) »
"I am Sennett!"   

Okay, so I have Sennett relatives who were Mining in Durham in the Willington/Tudhoe area.  I have got back as far as James Sennett, who was born 1833 in Co. Wicklow, according to a Census entry later on.  He married a Durham lass, and that's where it all started. A few of my Sennetts made their way to the Midlands around 1900. One married into Showbiz big time when he became the third husband of Tony Hancock's mother in 1960!

I'd be delighted to share info & see where they all fit together? By the way, I see Sinnett, Sinnott, Sennet, Sennett - they all seem interchangeable.

Regards,
Lisa
Durham: Sennett, Fitzpatrick, Ranson,
Perth: Keay, Clark, Brack
Thorne, Yorks: Armitage, Foster
Bedfordshire: Hallworth
Northants: Cox
Suffolk: Tuthill