Author Topic: McMinn Mystery Deepens...  (Read 30696 times)

Offline heywood

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: McMinn Mystery Deepens...
« Reply #9 on: Wednesday 28 January 09 13:10 GMT (UK) »
By the way- who were the witnesses to Emily Jane's wedding- anyone we know?  ;)
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Daisy Loo

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • 4 generations of Prestidge, 1835-1985
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Wednesday 28 January 09 13:44 GMT (UK) »
Okay, regarding Isobel, I'll wait to see what the parish church comes up with. 
There could have been an issue regarding religion, they definately got married in a Protestant Church (on the IGI it was listed as Scott's Church, St Mary's, Clonmel.)  The reason this must be fact, was that Roman Catholic marriages were not registered in a Civil record until 1864, but non-Catholic marriages were registered in a civil register from 1845.

There could have been a delay in the baptisms, perhaps Alexander didn't want them baptised RC?  I'll know a it more once they come back to me regarding all my questions!  Isobel seems to be a scottish name?  Where does Caroline come from...

Royal Artillery records are proving tougher than we first thought, as none are turning up with rank as Sergeant Major.

I am still waiting for an answer from the Irish GRO, regarding getting a copy of that marriage cert, because that will give an approximate age of Alexander, and maybe pin things down a bit.

As for the witnesses...George Patrick is one (very clear) the second is definately Mary Ann, and I think Horton (i'll scan it later, and see if you agree)  This could be a linking factor, because who was witness at Elizabeth's wedding, (in Woolwich as well but three years later) but a Rose Horton.

Lots and Lots of coincidences with this family...
When I've got a bit more time, I might hunt around for an Isobel mcMinn...see if she came to England.
All UK census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

BARNETT- Buckinghamshire, Bedfordshire, Dorset HILSDEN/HILLSDEN/HILLSDON- Buckinghamshire, Berkshire, Canada PRESTIDGE/PRESTAGE- Warwickshire, Northamptonshire, Islington PINNIGER/PINEGAR/PINNEGAR - Wiltshire       Brambleby - Kent, Middlesex     
LEACH- Norfolk   BUTTERWORTH - Lancashire   OTTON - Somerset  LAWRENCE - Berkshire

Offline heywood

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Wednesday 28 January 09 13:50 GMT (UK) »
Thanks Marty.

I did have a quick scout for Isobel and variants but as McMinn also throws up various spellings I was unsuccesful - if she's there I'm sure someone will find her!
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Girl with firewood, Morar 1910 - MEM Donaldson
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Wednesday 28 January 09 14:20 GMT (UK) »
Hi All

More movement...good to see  :)

Just a couple of comments/thoughts at this stage:

1. There is an Isabel McMinn showing in Regimental Birth Index for the RA in 1849. No other info on the entry.
2. If the GRO is being slow  ::), you could try writing/calling the Registry Office in Clonmel:
Tipperary Sth     Civil Registration Office. Community Care Centre, Western Road, Clonmel, Co. Tipperary, 9.30 - 4.00     Mon-Fri, tel. no. 052-77204/5
3. Need to follow up on that Horton link for the witnesses to see what it may throw up!

::) Another 3 hours yesterday at the TNA (you know why Marty!) and trawled though another set of films (only after I tried 3 machines which were broken and wasted a lot of time  :-\). I'm going to post later what exactly I have looked at at the TNA, so you have a record on file as such for any future searches. What is becoming clear is that Alexander Snr. is hiding well in the records at the TNA and one thing that would really help for another big line of search at the TNA is the Muster Rolls for which you need the specific Regiment of the RA to be able to search these films.

Monica

Added: I've just double checked on FindMyPast re the Regismental Birth Register and there are some reference to the birth, what they mean I have no idea. Can't see them on FreeBmd, maybe on the full index or perhaps an overseas birth?:

GRO Regimental Birth Indices Supplement (1761-1924) McMahon - McMurray - Isabella McMinn  RA Vol. 24 Pg. 120

Googling this register shows:

If you can locate a birth of a child in the index, you can apply for a copy of a certificate via the General Register Office
A birth certifiacte of a child should include his regiment, rank and number which will help you (or someone looking for you) to locate his service record at TNA, Kew (and we need every help we can  :)).
Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Daisy Loo

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Wednesday 28 January 09 15:13 GMT (UK) »
An Isabel...(please note...the baptism is ISABELL, not Isobel have I have previously posted) in 1849...this could fit...
they were married in 1846, Isabell could have been born abroad, and would make her 15, and better for being an informant at Emily's baptism.

The difference in spelling is in the origin of the name...as Isabell is latin in origin, and a scottish name, as is Caroline, latin and scottish.

I have just rung the Tipperary office, and they don't hold the pre 1864 certs, but she gave me a numberffffor the main GRO.  Have just spoken to the main GRO, and I am ordering that cert today! :) woohoo!  Only costs me €4.00 if I have the vol. & page number.  Not bad :)

I was going to pm you Monica to see how you're getting on, but 3 hours at TNA says it all.  Have you tried looking for anything on the Royal Hibernian (that should give you at least another 4 hours)

I did have a little look for a Rose Horton in Woolowich before, but couldn't find anything really that fit.

Woolwich definatley seems to be a place that connects them all...so once my Visa has zero'd back again (in a couple of days) I'll be ordering a few more certs :)

BARNETT- Buckinghamshire, Bedfordshire, Dorset HILSDEN/HILLSDEN/HILLSDON- Buckinghamshire, Berkshire, Canada PRESTIDGE/PRESTAGE- Warwickshire, Northamptonshire, Islington PINNIGER/PINEGAR/PINNEGAR - Wiltshire       Brambleby - Kent, Middlesex     
LEACH- Norfolk   BUTTERWORTH - Lancashire   OTTON - Somerset  LAWRENCE - Berkshire

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Wednesday 28 January 09 15:59 GMT (UK) »
Phew, just got back from school run...miserable out there  :-\

I wonder if this could be 'the' Rose Horton's marriage:

Marriages 3rd Qrt 1887   Rose Harriett Horton  in Woolwich    Vol. 1d Pg.1561

Males names: BASSETT, Harry Ernest and MILLS, Frederick Joshua   . Other bride: WELLBY, Grace Mary

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Wednesday 28 January 09 16:10 GMT (UK) »
From 1891, this might be Rose under Bassett. Not going to help much at this stage as she shows as born in Plumstead if the right one:

Harry Bassett 32
Rose Bassett 24
Harry Bassett 2

RG12; Piece: 540; Folio 22; Page 38

Offline Daisy Loo

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Wednesday 28 January 09 16:12 GMT (UK) »
oooh, lovely, we've got another little hunt :)
That's assuming Rose horton was single when she stood for Elizabeth...
Would be good to find a Rose & Mary Ann Horton in the same house.

I am going back to my cleaning...but I shall be back on in full hunt gear after kids are in bed...

Offline Daisy Loo

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Wednesday 28 January 09 16:14 GMT (UK) »
From 1891, this might be Rose under Bassett. Not going to help much at this stage as she shows as born in Plumstead if the right one:

Harry Bassett 32
Rose Bassett 24
Harry Bassett 2

RG12; Piece: 540; Folio 22; Page 38

Plumstead was where Elizabeth was living I think in 1901...when Caroline was living wth her...