Author Topic: Burgess, Bala, Ontario 1901 onwards - Completed but still ongoing  (Read 36339 times)

Offline kiddo

• RootsChat Member
  • Peace at last!!
    • View Profile
Re: Burgess, Bala, Ontario 1901 onwards - Completed but still ongoing
« Reply #162 on: Thursday 08 April 10 01:29 BST (UK) »
Found this..hope I'm allowed to post it!!

http://boards.ancestry.com/surnames.jewitt/16.2.1.2/mb.ashx

Also Lorne Jewitt searches well on the web, he and his wife wrote a book on Bala's history..

You never know..
Kiddo ;D ;D
Knight:Kent Lambourne: Buckinghamshire
Turner: Bray, Berkshire, Canada
Shakelton, Cranfield, Grooby:Lincolnshire, Canada
Rettie:Aberdeenshire, Canada Forbear-Canada
Ellah-Ontario & ?? England

Offline LisaB_PHX

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #163 on: Saturday 19 May 18 03:43 BST (UK) »
Oh my goodness - new to RootsChat, and absolutely fascinated with this thread. Gadget et al, your research is amazing, and I'm hoping some of the original posters in this thread (Gadget and Lynwen) are still active on this forum! Taking a big chance here...

James Kennedy Burgess was my great-great-grandfather. His daughter Kathleen was my great Aunt Kay McLean, and his son Alexander Burgess (went by Alec) was the grandfather I never got to meet. Page 9 of this thread has some amazing info! Many of the links were broken, and if anyone is out there with some of the screenshots or documentation, I'd love to get in touch with you!

To fill in a couple of gaps on Gadget's reply #80 on this thread for James Kennedy Burgess:
Katherine (daughter) was actually Kathleen, and went by Kay.
Alexander (son) died in 1964. Married Jessie Farquharson. Sons Thomas and James Alexander (Sandy).

I realize this thread is old, but hoping to get in touch with some of the researchers out there with information on the Burgess families that came to Alberta.

Thanks!

Offline polarbear

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #164 on: Saturday 19 May 18 03:51 BST (UK) »
Hello and a very warm welcome to RootsChat  :).

Gadget is still very active on RootsChat but I'm not sure which time zone he/she lives in so it may be a bit of a wait for a reply.

Regards
PB
We search for information but it is up to the thread owner to verify that it is correct.

British Census copyright The National Archives; Canadian Census copyright Library and Archives Canada

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #165 on: Saturday 19 May 18 08:18 BST (UK) »
Hi Lisa and Welcome  :)

I'm interested in any further  information that you have and just ask away about info that you'd like to know about.

If you make another couple of posts here (just say hello or whatever!) we will be able to send personal messages (PMs) where we can exchange details like e-mails, etc.

I have made contact with a few more of the Burgess family in Canada since this thread started.

Gadget
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

***Restorers - Please do not use my restores without my permission. Thanks***

Offline LisaB_PHX

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #166 on: Saturday 19 May 18 14:39 BST (UK) »
Hello Gadget - thanks so much for your reply! I would be very interested in exchanging info to see what pieces we can put together for the Burgess line.

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #167 on: Saturday 19 May 18 15:01 BST (UK) »
Hi Lisa

What info do you have (or need) at the moment?

We (Burgess cousins) have traced the family back to John Burgess (b.c 1739) and Jean Spalding (b.c. 1749) but, although some hints of their births, there is nothing to substantiate. I've seen some trees saying that Jean was the daughter of Alexander Spalding but this is incorrect as that one married / James Frazer in 1869 and had children in Edinburgh. I have some ideas and think she was related to the Spaldings of Balmacllean/Parton but no real proof so far, as some records are missing.

Gadget

Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

Offline LisaB_PHX

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #168 on: Saturday 19 May 18 15:57 BST (UK) »
Fascinating - all of this research!! Many of the Rootsweb chat links are broken where there are some references to documents. Do you by chance have the obit from James Kennedy Burgess?

Great Aunt Kay (James' sister) mapped out the lineage as she was able to research it 50 or so years ago - I'll be acquiring it in a few months and I'd be happy to share and compare notes. I have some info on JK Burgess descendants that I can share.

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #169 on: Saturday 19 May 18 17:02 BST (UK) »
I am more than likely to have the obituary somewhere, Lisa, but it was a long time, many computers and two house moves ago.  I've always backed up but it will take me a while to find. It will be archived on back up drives. I checked DollyLee's ref and saw that the link didn't work. Dolly hasn't been on for quite a while.

I'm descended from James Burgess, Tom Burgess of Bala's uncle.

Gadget

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #170 on: Saturday 19 May 18 18:27 BST (UK) »
Hi again

The link was to University of Calgary resources. The link to the Alberta newspapers says:

This collection is temporarily inaccessible while we migrate this content to a new platform. We apologize for the inconvenience.
If you require any content immediately, please contact digitize@ucalgary.ca with details of what you need and we will try to accommodate your request.

https://library.ucalgary.ca/az.php?t=17739

Added - I've  e-mailed.