Author Topic: Social security Death Maye E Mackenzie  (Read 5791 times)

Offline karenb

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Social security Death Maye E Mackenzie
« on: Tuesday 27 January 09 09:03 GMT (UK) »
I have found the entry for the person of interest but can't access the city or location where she died which is what I am looking for.

Maye E. Mackenzie
born 2 May 1902 Canada
died 12 Mar 1993 in (Canada?)
Her social security number was issued in Oregon.

Thank you very much,
Karen
Perry - Tipperary, Wiltshire & Ontario
Gibbs - Buckinghamshire & Ontario
Cowan - Tipperary & Ontario
Bell - Glenavy, Ireland & Ontario
Drury - England & Ontario
Ritchie - Scotland & Ontario
Glover - Ireland, Edinburgh & Thorah/Brock Twp. Ontario

Offline dollylee

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 27 January 09 09:11 GMT (UK) »
The only information it shows that you haven't already given is:

Last Residence:  953  (U.S. Consulate), Canada

It does not state where she died but I would imagine that it was Canada as that was her last known residence. 

dollylee

Offline karenb

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 27 January 09 09:29 GMT (UK) »
Thank you dollylee  ;) !

I just googled around about this US consulate thing with number xx 953 as residence and it appears this number and place of residence were given to all Canadian born who lived and died in the US.  Not much help I'm afraid.

I do have a letter from her when she was living in Portland, Oregon in 1971 so I guess I should check there.  I had hoped she had returned to Canada as records would be easier to find  ;) :-\.

thanks again,
Karen

Offline dollylee

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 27 January 09 09:44 GMT (UK) »
If you believe that she in fact did die in the U. S. you could try posting on the Immigrants to U.S. board, giving them all the facts you have learned so far and they may have ideas on how to find where she died.

dollylee

Offline Jacquie in Canada

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Canadian, eh!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 28 January 09 06:02 GMT (UK) »
I just googled around about this US consulate thing with number xx 953 as residence and it appears this number and place of residence were given to all Canadian born who lived and died in the US. 

I'm curious as to where you found that information. I've looked up a number of people in the SSDI who were born in Canada but lived and died in the US and none of them have had the code "XX953". Could this be Canadian born individuals who did not become US citizens rather than all those born in Canada. I've also seen suggestions that the code is used to signify US citizens who died in Canada.

By the way, Ancestry has an Oregon Death Index covering the years 1903 to 1998 and there were no Maye Mackenzies listed.

Jacquie
Canada: Patterson, Brown, Haidenger/Heidinger, Meyer, Johnston(e), Gorsuch, Kitchin/Kitchen
United States: Patterson, Smith, Brown, Vance, Bower(s), Newberry, Best, Love, Gorsuch
England (Northumberland): Brown, Whitfield, Henderson
Scotland (Glasgow, Edinburgh, Fife, East Lothian): Johnston(e), Bell, Galloway, Campbell, Robertson, Williamson, Thomson, Crawford
Germans from Russia: Haidenger/Heidinger, Meyer, Meach, Lorenz

Offline karenb

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 29 January 09 07:45 GMT (UK) »
Thanks dollylee and Jacquie,

It appears no one quite knows what the xx953 means and this is really frustrating.  The link I referred to is here:

http://boards.ancestry.com/localities.northam.canada.cangenweb/5182/mb.ashx

... but even here no one is really sure what it means.  >:(

thanks,
Karen

Offline dollylee

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 29 January 09 09:11 GMT (UK) »
well, it appears we aren't getting anywhere with the 953 (U.S. Consulate) Canada to determine a place of death.

Is there any more information you can give us on Maye E. MacKenzie? Where was she born in Canada?  Was she married? When did she move to the states and did she go alone?  Did she marry there and have children?  Did she give you any useful information in the 1971 letter? and lastly do you have any reason to believe that she actually returned to Canada.

The strange address of the 953 would indicate that she did but on the Social Security Sites I have visited they had said they didn't have any offices in Canada but did have arrangement with different Provincial agency's to handle any payments of claims.  (that is if I totally understood what was said.  I will try to find that site again.

Any other information you have on her that we haven't been told would perhaps help us to find her death information.

I know on Ancestry.ca and Ancestry.com the only information I could find on Maye herself was the reference to the Social Security Information.  Are you positive she was born in Canada or only lived her a short time before going to the States?

What provinces was she living in prior to her move to the States, where she apparently was living in 1951 in Oregon.

dollylee

Offline karenb

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 29 January 09 12:06 GMT (UK) »
Hi dollylee,

We know NOTHING about her and just discovered her existence last week.  She was adopted in Winnipeg, MB sometime between 1906 and 1916 by Jennie & Roderick Mackenzie.

She is listed in the MB 1916 census age 14, born Manitoba, ethnic origin Scotch.  Of course, I also don't know if she was born May or if her adopted parents gave her that name.  I only discovered her after finding an obit for Roderick Mackenzie 1927 which mentioned he was survived by his widow and adopted daughter May, "now in the east".

It was another relative who produced the letter from 1971 and she had no idea who May was.  Apparently May had written her mother to ask about her adopted parents, Jennie Cowan & Rod Mackenzies, ancestry.

Seeing as she was Maye Mackenzie in 1916 age 14 and also dies with the surname in 1993 I would guess she didn't marry.

Sorry, I can't supply any real useful information.

Offline jorose

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Friday 30 January 09 16:59 GMT (UK) »
Incidentally, several places that are not Ancestry have the SSDI for free.
I mostly use ssdi.rootsweb.com

The SSDI does not give place of death, it is place of last residence - whatever address they had on record for her. Although it's usually a good guide if someone was residing for a long period in one place, if she was moving around there could well be absolutely no connection between the details given under 'last residence' and her actual place of death.

The SS application file would give some information about where she was living and working when she applied for an SSN, but it's a bit pricey. As we know she was in Portland at some point, you could try to find city directories for Portland.  Another possible source is border crossings.

You say they adopted her between 1906 and 1916, but I think it was even earlier than that - already in 1906 there's in Winnipeg (on the automatedgenealogy index)
McKenzie Rodric
McKenzie Jane   
McKenzie May (aged 3)

When did Jennie die? Perhaps her obituary would give some more information on where May ended up.
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk