Author Topic: D J Rees D abt 1940  (Read 5298 times)

Offline Rees Family

• I am sorry but my emails are not working
  • RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
D J Rees D abt 1940
« on: Friday 11 February 05 03:53 GMT (UK) »
I have this Obit from Carmarthem for a relation to my GG grand father Thomas Rees B 1811 Roberton Warthen (Narbeth).  I do not have a date on the Obit but you will note below this I believe I found his college, Trinity in Carmarthen.  Any help in find more information on David would be appreciated.
Thanks in advance
Greg

Late Mr. D. J. Rees
  St. Clears Schoolmaster buried at Carmarthen

The funeral of Mr. D. J. Rees, headmaster of St. Clears V.P. School (whose death was reported in our last week's issue), took place on Thursday, 9th inst.,at Carmarthen Cemetery.  Officiating were the Rev. Lawrence Bowen (vicar of St. Clears) at the house and canon J. Richards Pugh, R.D. (Carmarthen), and W. Jones (vicar of Abercrave) at St. Peter's Church, Carmarthen, and the Cemetery.  The church service was attended by the pupils and staff of St. Clears V.P. School, and the hymns "Lead, Kindly Light" and "Jesu, Lover of My Soul" were sung.
     The chief mourners were:- Mr. W. A. Rees, Carmarthen, (brother) ;  Mr. and Mrs. Coles, Plymouth;  Mr. and Mrs. Powell, Llanelly;  Mr. W. N. Rees, Misses Margaret and Connie Rees, Carmarthen (nephews and nieces) ;  Mr. and Mrs. T. Rogers and Gwyneth;  Mrs. M. Jenkins;  Mr. and Mrs. J. Rees;  Miss S. Rees;  Mr. C. Evans, Llanelly (cousins);  Mrs. E. Thomas and Mr. M. Thomas, Drefach (cousins);  Mrs. A. Challander, Ponthenry;  Mrs. G. Thomas and Mr. Wyn Thomas, Llandilo (cousins);  Miss R. Griffiths, Maesyffynnon (cousin).
     Beautiful floral tributes were received from the following:- Will, Margaret, Connie and Norcliffe;  Muriel, Ken and baby David;  Edgar, Gloria and baby Denise;   Teddy, Mary and Gwyneth;  Maggie; Uncle Fred;  Jack, Maude and Phyllis; Susie, Lena, Harold and Barbara;  Mervyn, Olive and Tony;  Edie, Malgwyn and Helen;  Aunt Emma; Cousins Annie and Edgar;  Theresa, Stan and family;  Mr. and Mrs. Coles;  Miss Davies, Maengwyn;  Pupils and Staff of St. Clears V.P. School; Vicar, Parishioners and Churchwardens, St. Clears;  National Union of School Teachers; Roselind and Dilys;  Mr. Webb, Dick, May and Sid; T. Rees and family;  Beryl, Illa and Mrs. Raymond; All at Rhydygoldsmith;  Mr. and Mrs. Pulson;  Mr. and Mrs. John; Neighbours of Highstreet, St. Clears.
     The family wish to thank all relatives and friends for their expressions of sympathy and beautiful floral tributes received in their sad bereavement.

Dear Mr Rees,

Your e-mail has been forwarded to me and I've had a look through the student roll list - there was a David J Rees from Carmarthen who attended the college between 1907-1909.
Rees, Gardner, Groves, Spotz, Ternant

Offline Romilly

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: D J Rees D abt 1940
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 24 September 11 21:19 BST (UK) »
I don't know if there's any connection...

But on the 1911 Census for Wales, I have this family, living at 43 High Street, Clydach, Glamorgan.

George Rees, House decorator, aged 42, plus wife Sarah Ann, sons Ivor, Austin & Glyn, daughters Lena, Margaret and Olwen

I don't know if you can see any links?

Romilly.
Any census information included in this post is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Researching:
Wilson, Warren, Dulston, Hooper, Duffin, Petty, Rees, Davies, Williams, Newman, Dyer, Hamilton, Edmeads, Pattenden.

Offline Morganllan

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 25 September 11 00:01 BST (UK) »
Hello  :)

This family is a possibility in 1901:

Roman Villa, Pensarn, Carmarthen

Thomas V Rees Head age 40  Local Inspector of Weights & Measures  born Cayo, Carms
Annie M Rees Wife age 35 born Llandeilo, Carms
Constance L V Rees Dau age 14 brn Llanarthney, Carms
David J Rees Son age 12 born Carmarthen
Edgar G Rees Son age 10 born Carmarthen
William A R Rees Son age 7  born Carmarthen
Thomas E Rees Nephew age 3 born Llandebie, Carms

RG13 Piece 5109 Folio 98 Page 17

However, it is a common name so there are other options.

Kind Regards
Morgan

Offline Morganllan

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 25 September 11 00:09 BST (UK) »
You could try Carmarthen Record Office as they have St Clears CP School Log books, Minutes of Governer's meetings, and admission registers:

http://www.carmarthenshire.gov.uk/cccapps/english/school_records_index/school_records_index.asp

There may be a reference to the death in the meeting minutes.

Offline AhelenA

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 13 May 15 01:58 BST (UK) »
Hello Greg
Mr David Rees was my great uncle. He was unmarried and had no children. He was the head of the school in St Clears as you thought.  The family that Morgan in his post refers to is indeed the right family. They lived in Roman Villa for some time and I have photos of his immediate family and of his father at work.

I have photos of David too of course, but am new to this site so not sure how or if they can be shared. I see your post was some time ago so maybe you no longer subscribe?

Helena